Molten86

Cosworth Supercharged GT86

Hi All,

Brought my Supercharged GT86 in September/October last year. Been great so far and have already spent far too much money on different car parts, mods & upgrades. 

How long have you all had yours and what have you done to them so far? / What do you have planned for the future? 

Had my for nearly 3 yrs.

Current mods:
- Tuning Developments stage 1 turbo kit, intercooler, TD remap
- K&N cone filter
- MFactory 4.67 final drive
- oil cooler, oil catch can, sump plate
- autobox cooler
- TD decat manifold, catback exhaust (super resonated)
- Suspension: Tein Flex A, uprated droplinks, SPL LCAs, Cusco front strut brace
- Brakes: KSport 356 BBK on front, braided brake lines, Ferodo DS2500 pads front and rear, motul brake fluid
- Wheels: Rays Gramlight CR57 18x9.5 with MPS4 tyres
- Focal speakers
- Schroth Rallye 3 ASM belts (for track days)

For 2020:
- KSport rear BBK
- minor suspension mods
... and more track days418e8c613c6cead9dfff12be141b1fd9.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Nice! Realised I didn’t actually list mine... 

- HKS UEL Catted manifold.

- full cobra exhaust from manifold back including sport cat front pipe. 

- Cosworth Supercharger stage 2

- lowering springs

- 18” Team Dynamics wheels with Uniroyal Rainsports, also have a set of MPS4 on stock wheels.

- TRD spoiler & Valenti Rear lights 

- A few other appearance and smaller performance mods

For 2020:

- Fuel pump and Injectors

- Smaller Pulley on SC

- Remaps One now for UEL (Just fitted) and one when I get the fuel parts upgraded

- Potentially my first track day at some point

Will have had ours for 7 years in April.  Glad you are enjoying yours!!

Main stuff:

TRD spoiler and BRZ wing garnishes

Beatsonic aerial

Intec high level brake light

Valenti carbon sequential tail lights

Valenti fog lamp

Front and rear Nextbase cameras

P3 gauge

Armrest

Eibach lowering springs/ fast road geo

Cosworth AP Racing 6 pots

Cosworth catback exhaust with 2nd cat delete

Cosworth stage 2 supercharger

OZ Formula HLT 18" wheels with Goodyear Eagle F1s

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/javkPEU"><a href="//imgur.com/a/javkPEU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I've had my 2017 BRZ for two years and enjoyed every day of ownership.

- Harrop supercharger
- TD UEL manifold
- TD catback exhaust system
- HKS intake duct
- H&R Super Sport lowering springs
- Rota 17x8 wheels with 225/45 Michelin Pilot Sport 4

I also have an STI front lip to install when the weather improves.

Had mine 7 years at Easter.

Done loads and absolutely love it for track days.

Think there are 72 changes declared to the insurance so probably easier to link the build thread than list it all!

@Molten86 you should start one for your car - nice way to keep track of the changes you make.

Welcome aboard. You have been busy! I've had my car seven years at the end of this month. Think my mods should be in my signature. Not done anything to it for two years now, just maintenance as I don't think there is anything else I need to do it really. Enjoy. :)

Had my car February 2019. Have following;

Avo stage 1 turbo with uel manifold
Hks front pipe
Cobra resonated catback
Rota 18" wheels
Valenti smoked tail lights
Topsage rear diffuser
Ht autos lip kit
Tomei S shift knob

Plans for 2020

Sti brembo 4 pot brakes
Coilovers
New alloys

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

All sounding really good! 

Nice to see the different the combinations that are about. 

The brakes are something I’ve considered upgrading also, I have better pads and discs which are a massive improvement. Do you have any recommendations for brake kits? Interested to hear what people’s opinions are on the setups they have. I assume this is kind of a necessary upgrade for efficient use on the track. 

23 hours ago, Molten86 said:

For 2020:

- Fuel pump and Injectors

- Smaller Pulley on SC

Sounds good.

Do you have any plans for upgrading engine internals? My understanding was that power and torque were limited by these and that the standard fueling components were ok up to this level?

Also, you mentioned a sump plate. Is this a baffle/which one did you go for?

9 hours ago, Molten86 said:

All sounding really good! 

Nice to see the different the combinations that are about. 

The brakes are something I’ve considered upgrading also, I have better pads and discs which are a massive improvement. Do you have any recommendations for brake kits? Interested to hear what people’s opinions are on the setups they have. I assume this is kind of a necessary upgrade for efficient use on the track. 

Stock brakes are quite good actually if you upgrade pads and brake fluid, but front BBK is a very popular mod - looks good and would allow you to stay on track for longer. I dont think BBK is really "needed" otherwise.

Popular choices are:

1. KSports - reasonably inexpensive (330 would be <1k, excluding pads), well made. You can have 330 and 356 versions.

I had my for over 2 yrs now, no problems whatsoever. After 15 track days disks developed slight lip (ok for daily driving, but vibrated under hard braking from over 80 mph if on track), so I bought new Ksports disks although Reylands has same size to fit Ksports kit for £80-90 cheaper.

I got my from Mike at Tuning Developments when I got N/A tune package done

http://www.tuningdevelopments.uk/product_info.php?cPath=502_625_628&products_id=1389

2. Reylands Motorsport  - very popular option, AP calipers + Reylands 330 disks + pads goes for <1.5k

Considering that it includes pads (DS 2500 for this set-up would be around £260-300 depending where you buy them) its a very good price. Note though that AP calipers are 4-pot CP 9200, and KSports are 6-pot - same as AP 9040 (not that it would be much of a difference to notice imo).

You can also get bigger disks, AP disks, different calipers - list of options on Raylands website (AP 9040 calipers with AP 356 disks are <2k which is very reasonable)

http://www.reyland.co.uk/subaru-impreza/

3. Stoptech - another popular option, more expensive that other 2

https://fensport.co.uk/collections/toyota-gt86-2017-on/products/stoptech-front-brake-conversion-328mm-red-calipers-gt86-brz

There are more options out there (like Tarox), but I think above 3 probably more popular.

there are also plenty of threads on the forum on this topic

@James7 I have some plans to upgrade internals/ bottom end eventually although that might not be until 2021/2022.

From what I read the stock fuel pump is on the higher end of it's capabilities with the Supercharger power, although I guess it depends on the individual unit. If you have a link with some info that you've found send it through as I don't claim to be an expert, I've only read one article myself haha cheers.

Think someone else might have mentioned the sump plate.

Got any mods planned yourself?

28 minutes ago, MartinT said:

Stock fuel pump and injectors are good for around 300bhp, which suits most superchargers and stage 1 turbos.

Good to know Martin, do you have a link to any info or is this just based on what you've read/ experienced?

Also do you know if that is 300bhp to the wheels or the crank? 

From what I understand I'm getting around 270bhp currently (ECUTEK catback cosworth map). Recently replaced the front half of the exhaust and hoping to install smaller pulley (which claims to add 10-15bhp) before remapping towards the end of this month.

Just wondering how much wriggle room I'll have after that, cheers.

17 minutes ago, Molten86 said:

Good to know Martin, do you have a link to any info or is this just based on what you've read/ experienced?

It's what I was told by both Tuning Developments and Abbey Motorsport.

300bhp at the crank.  I'm getting that now with the Harrop - Abbey (who installed it) said I would be getting into risky territory if I used a smaller pulley without engine mods.  I've no reason to, the power is plenty.

I purchased my car with most of the mods already done. Details as it stands: 

Harrop Supercharger/Intercooler.

HKS Oil Cooler

AP front brakes.  Stoptech disks/pads on the rear.

Extreme Organic Clutch

Michelin PS4 tyres

Valenti Rear lights

Intec high level brake light

Perrin stainless gear knob.

Previous build thread from the chap who formerly owned the car here.  https://www.gt86.org.uk/forums/forums/topic/4903-benjamin-franklyns-86/

I’ve had the car a year now and should do my own build thread outlining further work planned.  The car currently looks standard (unless you spot the AP brakes) and I do quite like that aspect.  Current thoughts on possible further modifications are:

CGR manifold.  I think I would get this ceramic coated by Zircotec to minimise additional heat into the engine bay.  Thoughts on this?

Probably leave the standard second cat in place.  I may consider a cat back exhaust at some stage but would not want anything too loud /with drone.

Possibly a sump baffle to reduce risk of oil starvation.

Possible suspension upgrades at some stage as this is currently stock.  I would want to retain a compliant ride though.

STI engine/gearbox mounts to tighten things up slightly.

If I were to upgrade the wheels I would probably go for some OZ Alleggeritas.

With regard to pulley size/limits of engine internals, I am no expert either, but my understanding was that going above 280bhp would risk the rods.  My car was modified by Abbey Motorsport and I will take advice from Mark there before doing anything further.  If I install a new manifold I suspect another mapping session may be beneficial and I would go to Abbey for this to be done.

I’ve not had any contact yet from Toyota yet regarding the valve spring recall – is there any rush to get this done?

A couple of links with some of the items that I have read on maximum BHP/standard rods, etc.  Can you share what you have read on the fuelling being marginal please?

https://www.gt86.org.uk/forums/forums/topic/7273-general-fi-questions-rod-strength-and-supercharger-whine/

http://www.gt86ownersclub.co.uk/forum/25-engine-drivetrain/11554-fa20-carnage-blown-engine-thread.html

3 hours ago, Molten86 said:

From what I understand I'm getting around 270bhp currently (ECUTEK catback cosworth map). Recently replaced the front half of the exhaust and hoping to install smaller pulley (which claims to add 10-15bhp) before remapping towards the end of this month.

Just wondering how much wriggle room I'll have after that, cheers.

If you have the standard Cosworth map it starts at around 270, depending on the car.  The map can then be adjusted for your exhaust which might give you another 10.  I made enquiries with Matt at Cosworth about the smaller pulley, and he pointed out that the standard "safe" map has built-in margins for reliability.  If you then fit the smaller pulley, on top of exhaust mods, you use up that safety margin.

I have a smaller pulley, but am not going to fit it until I have been in a car with pulley fitted, to assess if the improvement is worth the reduced reliability risk.

@Subota Boy Thanks for clarifying the details, I've brought the smaller pulley but have not fit it yet so I may hold off on doing that. Like you say I will sacrifice the safety margins for what is a minor increase in power which may not be worth it at this stage.

@James7 Thanks for the links, I read through both threads yesterday evening. Some really good information and detail included in both. Also, it sounds like you have some good plans for your car coming up, I think we are in a similar boat as I brought mine with a lot of the mods done although I've done quite a lot in 2019 myself as well.

Picked up my 2017 Pre-Facelift GT86 back in June 2019.

Done the following mods so far:

• Fensport Leather Arm-Rest
  • 35% Tints all round
  • JR29 18" Wheels
  • Tein Flex Z Coilovers
  • BC Adjustable Drop Links
  • Cobra UEL Decatted Manifold
  • Scorpion Resonated 2nd Decat
  • Invidia N1 Catback
  • TD Stage 1 Turbo Kit and Stage 1 clutch being installed next week :)

5 minutes ago, CharlieBatchelor95 said:

Picked up my 2017 Pre-Facelift GT86 back in June 2019.

Done the following mods so far:

• Fensport Leather Arm-Rest
  • 35% Tints all round
  • JR29 18" Wheels
  • Tein Flex Z Coilovers
  • BC Adjustable Drop Links
  • Cobra UEL Decatted Manifold
  • Scorpion Resonated 2nd Decat
  • Invidia N1 Catback
  • TD Stage 1 Turbo Kit and Stage 1 clutch being installed next week :)

You've been busy!

The Invidia exhausts make a good sound, although I imagine with an UEL manifold it sounds brutal haha.

How do you rate the Flex Z coilovers? 

1 hour ago, Molten86 said:

You've been busy!

The Invidia exhausts make a good sound, although I imagine with an UEL manifold it sounds brutal haha.

How do you rate the Flex Z coilovers? 

😂 as always modifying a cars a slippery slope, with a platform like the 86 there's so much you can do

I was originally going for a Cobra Resonated system however the Invidia come up at a price I couldn't turn down, if I'm honest with my current setup its brutally loud on full chat... Cruising isn't too bad but drone is a real problem on the motorway hoping the turbo quietens it down a little bit.

I brought mine used so got a fairly good deal, Its transformed the car completely the standard suspension wasn't bad at all however the car just sat to high. I've dropped mine about 40mm and the handling is amazing now I'm running 2.5 degrees of negative camber in the rear at the minute need to get some adjustable lower control arms but am tempted to leave it as is handling is perfect the smallest steering input does so much more over stock. 

@CharlieBatchelor95 It definitely is a slippery slope!

My exhaust setup currently is as of last week: 

- HKS UEL Catted Manifold - Cobra Overpipe - Cobra High flow Catted Front Pipe - Cobra non-resonated Cat back

It's also very loud! 
I've just brought a Resonated TD mid-pipe from a member of this forum, hoping it'll quieten it down slightly but mainly hoping it takes some of the drone out (if it fits that is).

Booking in for a remap at Fensport towards the end of Jan as well to get it all smoothed out.

I'm on lowering springs at the moment but got a friend at work who has an mk2 MR2 on Tein Flex Z coilovers, when chatting to him about them I was tempted to get some. They might be another mod for further down the line 😂