scbrz

Problems with standard jack

I keep having problems with the standard wheel jack. no matter how I position it it always leans and looks sketchy when jacking the drivers side despite the ground and car being level to start with. The passenger side seem to be ok. Can't see anything wrong with the top of the jack or the car. 

The jack looks very thin metal and poor quality compared to my WRX one.

Does anyone else have this problem or have an explanation?

P1120383.JPG

Looks like the jack that came with the Toyota Prius. Probably a very similar jack. If I jacked the car up high, it looked like the jack wanted to topple over. The fact that it happens on one side, may be due to the jack not being equally stable to both sides; being asymmetric so to say.

Carjacks like these are frightening to me. To make work safer and easier, I bought two hydraulic 10,000 kg jacks. What a relief! 👍

g-5202_tools2go.jpg

I use a puck with a groove in it on my trolley jack.

Bought it when I had my rcz, as the jacking points on those are made of cheese.

Irrespective of what jack you're using, I hope you're putting axle stands under it before you venture underneath.

Sent from my VFD 710 using Tapatalk

I'd think of stock jack only as something compact to bring around for emergency wheel change, and by such it's shortcomings are easier to ignore. Otherwise it's awkward to use and i already had it once topple over, luckily i have habbit to put wheel under car.

For real lifting such as seasonal all four wheel with other season tires change, some pad change, or for trackday i'd get normal trolley hydraulic jack. It is too oversized though to bring around all the time, so i use mine only when working on car (don't forget jackstands!!) or bringing along to trackday.

28 minutes ago, scbrz said:

What do you use on the top of that bottle jack? Or do you just position behind the jacking seam?

I prepared a wooden block.

I think they all do that. Use a trolley jack and axle stands for maintenance. I only use my scissor jack to get my car high enough so I can get the trolley jack under it. 

I was using the jack to just swap a tyre around. I find the car difficult to raise with a trolley jack or axle stands as its so low and the under side is covered in plastic trays. Where is safe to jack with a trolley jack? To use the axle stands would mean jacking to full height on the trolley jack which I don't feel is any safer. I bought a rubber slotted puck for the trolley jack but it won't fit under the sill join. I've not had these problems on other cars.

Trolley jack goes on the painted cross member behind the under trays for the front, and the diff for the rear I believe. Front can be tricky, mine needs the car raising so it will clear the front bumper. 

I just use the scissor jack to change wheels, never had an issue, even on a sloped drive, handbrake on one wheel holds it fine. 

I've got a dirt cheap low profile jack (standard shape, but with a sloped down front and lower seat) and it's tight under the front, you tend to bounce the handle off the undertray even at standard ride height, and it's also a long long way to the diff at the back. You really want one of those aluminium fancy ones for an easier lift. If your jack is cheap, don't push it to the top of its range. It's not worth it!