86-Rich

knocking sound

no i dont think its that as would be all the time if that was the case i would have thought,its only when sticking it in reverse on a hill or slope and its not everytime either,im sure i saw someone had the same kinda problem on here something to do with the body flexing underneath that was making the knock but im not sure 

I'd have a look at suspension top mounts and look to see if there's any corrosion on the springs. Could be any part of the suspension really. You're not triggering traction control are you? Can you see the little yellow flash of boringness when you do it?

Sorry to bring up an old thread, I've been experiencing a similar issue. It sounds like an horrendous creak when turning on inclines and flats. Its getting worse I'm confident it's not my drop links as these were changed when I had my coilovers put on. I've been reading alot of people mention the anti roll bar as the culprit, is it as simple as sliding the bushes across and greasing? 

7 hours ago, Sleazyboii said:

Sorry to bring up an old thread, I've been experiencing a similar issue. It sounds like an horrendous creak when turning on inclines and flats. Its getting worse I'm confident it's not my drop links as these were changed when I had my coilovers put on. I've been reading alot of people mention the anti roll bar as the culprit, is it as simple as sliding the bushes across and greasing? 

It's most likely a dry joint on your droplinks. If the seal has split and water has got in, it will cause the balljoint in the droplink to rust which causes the horrendous sound. I changed my ARB mounts for poly bush ones as we were convinced that was the issue. Turned out to be my aftermarket droplinks (TD ones) , well one of them. Was difficult to see as well. They had been on for around 30K miles. Changed to Whiteline ones, sorted. 

ive got no horrible sounds as such just a single knock sometimes when im on a slope in reverse,car went into toyota for service the other week and they couldnt see anything so cant be anything major,they changed the rear view mirror also under warranty as it was cracking up (common thing)

I resolved mine by replacing the drop links as recommended above. I kept getting a horrible creaking sound when turning the steering wheel under slow speeds, really bad when doing maneuvers. It may be worth replacing the drop links. Are you on stock suspension? 

On 3/23/2020 at 7:15 AM, Sleazyboii said:

I resolved mine by replacing the drop links as recommended above. I kept getting a horrible creaking sound when turning the steering wheel under slow speeds, really bad when doing maneuvers. It may be worth replacing the drop links. Are you on stock suspension? 

i am on stock suspension yer,thinking about coilovers but heard the cv joints don't like it to much,creaking in past experiences is normally the top mounts,my cars only on 30k but heard drop links are rubbish 

On 3/23/2020 at 12:28 AM, 86-Rich said:

ive got no horrible sounds as such just a single knock sometimes when im on a slope in reverse,car went into toyota for service the other week and they couldnt see anything so cant be anything major,they changed the rear view mirror also under warranty as it was cracking up (common thing)

5 hours ago, 86-Rich said:

i am on stock suspension yer,thinking about coilovers but heard the cv joints don't like it to much,creaking in past experiences is normally the top mounts,my cars only on 30k but heard drop links are rubbish 

It was the best decision I've made it the car just feels planted. I was shocked as I'd only had my aftermarket ones on for a little over a year and the sounds were terrible. May be worth trying an aftermarket pair as they will always come in use, even if you decide to go for coilovers. 

6 hours ago, 86-Rich said:

I put my TEINS on at around 25K miles. Had a CV joint start clicking at 60K miles. Had that replaced and done 90K miles since. Not had further issues with CV joints. Probably drop links, but wait for it to get worse, then you'll know. 

I'd agree with Lauren, the worse it becomes the easier it will be to identify the source. Drop links is usually more audible on full lock or over speed bumps. 

Sometimes one tries to find anywhere but real source. It took long time to find that those were steel braided brake lines that added some creaking noises on bad roads on some type of road defects even at small travel of suspension, far from bottoming out, that it was not shocks or suspension bushings or something in interior trim or something in boot or boot lid. Took long time for me and servicetech to locate/pinpoint real culprit doing test drives, shaking car, and only after 15min of lifted car (for alignment) and shaking rear suspension/LCA by hand by standing below car, with better hearing direction of close-by noises to something a bit higher and more to wheel side .. and then YES! finally, even by  simple slight pull/twitch of brake lines-only noise was replicated and culprit found. I never thought that brake lines might be it, never included checking those in most of diagnosing path.

Major PITA.

Some obscure culprits can be relatively easy pinpointed only if one had done one-mod-at-a-time. Much harder, if to save time/money, one did many mods at one go. Or if problem propagates only after quite some time of driving, when other mods had happened, or when one starts to think if it's not due common wear of some other parts.