NXB

NA Tune up and CAT back exhaust

Hi guys,

I have just had a NA tune up done and CAT back exhaust fitted at Tuning Developments in Warrington and I just had to share how amazing it is.

Tuning Developments were great throughout.

What I have now is amazing. Horsepower is increased by about 20 with a more linear delivery. Feels great.

The best part about it is the noise from the exhaust. I am not a young hooligan so I didn't want something that was stupidly loud. What I have now is perfect. It has a lovely deep throaty growl at idle, louder that my stock exhaust and much deeper but not so loud that I will wake the neighbours when I head out in the mornings. Similar when driving with a steady throttle at a fixed speed, the noise is lovely but not massively loud.

The real joy comes when you put your foot down... it is just an absolutely perfect deep rumbling loud noise... amazing. I also get a bit of a burble when coming off the throttle. It makes me smile every time. I haven't had it noise tested so I don't know the numbers but someone I know had it done and they registered 95 dB on a track day.

I would seriously recommend getting this done.

Just for future reference,so I can eventually decide which way to go...

I assume with the new exhaust set up you don't get that droning at certain rev levels? (had that in the past on a 370z with a rear box delete and it was awful!)

Now you have the lovely exhaust noise you want,I would think it makes sense to delete the sound generator?...(when you have the proper noise from the outside why would you want the artificial noise on the inside any more?)

On 12/12/2019 at 1:57 PM, NXB said:

Hi guys,

I have just had a NA tune up done and CAT back exhaust fitted at Tuning Developments in Warrington and I just had to share how amazing it is.

Tuning Developments were great throughout.

What I have now is amazing. Horsepower is increased by about 20 with a more linear delivery. Feels great.

The best part about it is the noise from the exhaust. I am not a young hooligan so I didn't want something that was stupidly loud. What I have now is perfect. It has a lovely deep throaty growl at idle, louder that my stock exhaust and much deeper but not so loud that I will wake the neighbours when I head out in the mornings. Similar when driving with a steady throttle at a fixed speed, the noise is lovely but not massively loud.

The real joy comes when you put your foot down... it is just an absolutely perfect deep rumbling loud noise... amazing. I also get a bit of a burble when coming off the throttle. It makes me smile every time. I haven't had it noise tested so I don't know the numbers but someone I know had it done and they registered 95 dB on a track day.

I would seriously recommend getting this done.

+20 hp sounds good. How about torque delivery? Any (measured) data?

1 hour ago, Jay said:

+20 hp sounds good. How about torque delivery? Any (measured) data?

Huge mid-range increase saw mine go to a peak of 178lb/ft, but around 40lb/ft more over without at some points. Torque dip becomes Torque peak. 

No drone with the exhaust either. And yes, get rid of the sound generator. Never had it mine even from new. 

TD have dyno curves on their website, scroll down a bit for them.

As @Lauren beat me to saying, it hugely improves the dreaded dip. Linear power delivery from 3000rpm to 6750rpm. It really is a great value kit and improves the car far more than "20bhp peak" would suggest.

2 hours ago, XK140 said:

Just for future reference,so I can eventually decide which way to go...

I assume with the new exhaust set up you don't get that droning at certain rev levels? (had that in the past on a 370z with a rear box delete and it was awful!)

Now you have the lovely exhaust noise you want,I would think it makes sense to delete the sound generator?...(when you have the proper noise from the outside why would you want the artificial noise on the inside any more?)

Torque went from 145 ftlbs to 160 ftlbs but eliminated the between 3000 and 5000 rpm.

I didn't know that I had a sound generator?? 

sound generator, or "sound tube" is that plastic contraption from side of intake, with resonator in mid, and passing to cabin for more noise inside w/o extra loudness outside.

If better or not with or without it, simplest to test with it plugged off or unplugged in cabin, as it is subjective thing (eg. with stock exhaust i prefer it still operating, as subjectively car/engine seems duller/more lifeless (even if i know it's placebo impression and engine operates 100% same)). For "free plug" for test purposes one can reuse plug of 2nd cig lighter port in glovebox. If one likes better it plugged off, one can consider of doing sound-tube delete, for very slight weight saving and some cleanup of underbonnet space, by plugging off where sound tube connects to intake and where it goes in cabin.

2 hours ago, Lauren said:

Huge mid-range increase saw mine go to a peak of 178lb/ft, but around 40lb/ft more over without at some points. Torque dip becomes Torque peak. 

No drone with the exhaust either. And yes, get rid of the sound generator. Never had it mine even from new. 

Thanks for that, Lauren.

Next question,do these gizmos add anything to the party?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Subaru-BRZ-Toyota-GT86-Scion-FRS-Power-Block-Intake-Spacers-19HP-UK-SELLER/264525626402?hash=item3d96f4bc22:g:hZoAAOSwvzFdyHeA

Looks like intake manifold spacers like that of Crawford BPB, but due simple ripoff copy, sold for cheaper. They not so much add power (and certainly not +19hp claimed), as to move powerband optimisation more to lower rpms. More power/torque down low and mid, less power near redline. They can slightly up overall area under curve (and more so on car with intake/exhaust 100% stock), but probably may need also ecu tune adjustment to take into account them well. Some reading, if interested in: #1 #2

You got most NA gains with catless TD header & ecu tune. You won't gain much from these, imho not worth it.

I wouldnt bother. Neither should you

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

On ‎12‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 6:52 PM, matrixprotein said:

I wouldnt bother. Neither should you

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

No danger of that...merely posted for discussion,I was already 99% sure they were pointless :)