matrixprotein

Aftermarket seats

What aftermarket seats are you guys running? Watched some videos and some reading but the whole set up is confusing me. I'm probably just over complicating from seats to getting the rails to bolt em down.

The stock seats I feel are more suited for slim build and I am quite wide and find they just aren't cutting it for me.

I use the car mainly for street driving so ideally something that can move backwards and forwards to get access to the back.

I've seen some of the recling seats but they look a little not 'supporty' enough. So was looking for something inbetween.

Also, are harnesses the only way? As if possible I'd like to retain the factory seat belt

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Deacon said:

This type of reclining seat might work for you:-

https://www.corbeau-seats.com/product/sportline-rrb-reclining-bucket-seat/

If you're a larger gent you'll want to try them first though - maybe see if you can get yourself to somewhere like Demon Tweeks or GSM

Nice seats,but no GT86 subframes are available,as far as I can see.

39 minutes ago, XK140 said:

Nice seats,but no GT86 subframes are available,as far as I can see.

Not sure on that to be honest as I've not looked into seats too much. I'd imagine something like a Buddyclub rail might work though as I believe they're fairly universal for seat mounting? 

Cobra didn't do seat mounts when I spoke to them 6 months ago, you need to use aftermarket ones. 

They were looking at making some car specific ones, but I've not followed this up.

2 minutes ago, will300 said:

Cobra don't specifically do seat mounts, you need to use aftermarket ones. 

They were looking at making car specific ones when I spoke to them about 6 months ago.

These are Corbeau not Cobra @will300 but it seems the same applies.

A quick Google suggests you'd need to use adaptor bars and then a side mount bracket to fit these are Corbeau don't offer an 86 specific bottom mount. 

2 minutes ago, matrixprotein said:

Seems such a headache. So would I be right in assuming I can get any aftermarket seat and get it mounted with say a buddyclub mount assuming that's the correct item

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Have a look at this

https://www.sportseats4u.co.uk/toyota-gt-86-bucket-seat-guide/

You'll need either a bottom mount or side mount depending on the type of seat (most recliners are bottom mount) so you'll probably need a bottom mount conversion bar set and then a side mount bracket like the ones listed in the article. 

Bit late to the party but when I was considering purchasing a set of Recaro Sportster CS seats these are the rails that you can get which should be a perfect match for those. 

So I would imagine there should be some sort of rail that would also work for the Corbeau's. 

https://www.wiechers-sport.de/en/shop/sportsitze-konsolen/produkte-sitzkonsolen/sitzlauf-toyota-gt86-ab-bj-2012-405mm-rechts-starr-ohne-lochwinkel-detail

Still doing my research on this and it seems as though across the pond you used to be able to purchase rails for Corbeau seats -

https://corbeau.com/scion-frs-seat-brackets.html

So if considering going for Corbeau ones it may be worth contacting them direct to see! 

I've narrowed down my search for recliners (if it's of any interest) to Corbeau RRB, Braum Elite X, Recaro Sportster CS and Bride Stradia II. These are in ascending order in terms of price point as I'm still completely undecided and desperately need to try them in person. But these seats, excluding the Corbeau, are all proven in the GT86 /BRZ platform. 

It may also be worth noting that you can generally find the Recaro seats second hand as they have been used in a number of other cars as standard. These would then potentially need re-upholstering and obviously new rails etc. But could still work out significantly cheaper than new if you find a good deal.