Sun_Zenith

Calipers Dragging. Uprated options?

My rear calipers seem to be dragging, as they make a terrible squealing sound at low speeds (not the same squeal as when braking).

Had then loosened before, but the problem has returned. Been advised they probably need to be replaced. Is there any option for uprated calipers without installing a whole big brake kit?

Calipers or pads, dragging (and squealing)?

Why not perform brake maintenance job instead of replacement, like lubing sliding pins, replacing seals and such?

Also, as pads are designed for specific calipers, and specific calipers often are for different disks, in most cases it is still whole kit to change, not just calipers.

And then there is bit, that most "uprated" calipers are uprated in way, that they are of more heat capacity/more track oriented .. but potentially much worse at one issue you have, some pad sticking/dragging/noise for low speed daily driving, with many such track BBK kits have even less design features to reduce noise (eg. no shims for pads and such), and whose pads (even if of same compound) often needing much heavier braking (then seen at normal daily driving on public roads within speed limits) to properly bed pads & rotors. Going for BBK to solve noise issues seems .. wrong.

1 hour ago, Church said:

Calipers or pads, dragging (and squealing)?

Why not perform brake maintenance job instead of replacement, like lubing sliding pins, replacing seals and such?

Also, as pads are designed for specific calipers, and specific calipers often are for different disks, in most cases it is still whole kit to change, not just calipers.

And then there is bit, that most "uprated" calipers are uprated in way, that they are of more heat capacity/more track oriented .. but potentially much worse at one issue you have, some pad sticking/dragging/noise for low speed daily driving, with many such track BBK kits have even less design features to reduce noise (eg. no shims for pads and such), and whose pads (even if of same compound) often needing much heavier braking (then seen at normal daily driving on public roads within speed limits) to properly bed pads & rotors. Going for BBK to solve noise issues seems .. wrong.

The calipers were taken apart and suitably lubed (that always make me laugh!) when I last took it to the garage. I don’t have the tools or the room to do it myself or I would give it a go.

It was great for a few weeks after the maintenance but the problem has come back. Taking into account what you said about big break kits, would you have any recommendations about what to replace with that performed better for a daily driver? Or is stock the best option?

In regards to dom2497, I appreciate the offer but if I have to replace them with stock I’ll most likely buy new. 

It will likely be a raised (sintered) bit of pad. Mine do this. It comes and goes. I've learnt not to worry about it. You can grind the  pad down to remove the raised section. Changing pads normally will sort it. There's no real point or need  to uprate the rear calipers, you'd have to do the fronts in unison anyway, which would work out a lot more expensive.