Daninplymouth

Lower seats

Hi, I’m just looking for options on if there are any seats lower than stock that can be used with the standard seatbelts as I don’t want to go harnesses ideally.
My head is pretty tight and I have just with tried my helmet on and with some adjustments I can just about fit. Just planning ahead and if I keep doing more track days then I’d be keen to get an extra inch or 2 of headroom

thanks

15 minutes ago, Daninplymouth said:

Hi, I’m just looking for options on if there are any seats lower than stock that can be used with the standard seatbelts as I don’t want to go harnesses ideally.
My head is pretty tight and I have just with tried my helmet on and with some adjustments I can just about fit. Just planning ahead and if I keep doing more track days then I’d be keen to get an extra inch or 2 of headroom

thanks

The passenger side seat is lower than the driver's side seat. Theoretically you could buy the seat mount for a LHD passenger seat and fit it to our RHD drivers seat. 

Same problem as me. What do you think of getting this 5cm offset steering heel spacer, so that you can reclaim back of seat more to gain headroom for helmet? (only drawback i'm seeing, that light ad wiper stalks will be spaced too far to operate w/o taking hands off wheel, not big issue for track, and one may install stalk extenders such as these)

I currently have J-luth steering wheel (2cm offset) but thinking that for best pose i'd need a bit more (still moving seat forward a bit to compensate back reclaiming, when wearing helmet), thus maybe will get spacer mentioned above.

Then there are options like removing roof lining, trimming seat padding. And, aftermarket seats. If you want to keep stock safety systems, then not full bucket seats, but something like "street-ish" recaros that also have back adjustable, i guess. One may loose seat heating though. And aftermarket seats is rather expensive option.

2 hours ago, Church said:

Same problem as me. What do you think of getting this 5cm offset steering heel spacer, so that you can reclaim back of seat more to gain headroom for helmet? (only drawback i'm seeing, that light ad wiper stalks will be spaced too far to operate w/o taking hands off wheel, not big issue for track, and one may install stalk extenders such as these)

I currently have J-luth steering wheel (2cm offset) but thinking that for best pose i'd need a bit more (still moving seat forward a bit to compensate back reclaiming, when wearing helmet), thus maybe will get spacer mentioned above.

Then there are options like removing roof lining, trimming seat padding. And, aftermarket seats. If you want to keep stock safety systems, then not full bucket seats, but something like "street-ish" recaros that also have back adjustable, i guess. One may loose seat heating though. And aftermarket seats is rather expensive option.

That steering spacer would be interesting has anyone tried it? Would like the jluth but I think this spacer would be better that would help a bit I think. 
interesting on the seat rails I will see if I can find some to see how much Toyota charge, had a quick search but I was just getting lots of aftermarket hits

Well, that j luth's wheel (sold under few other rebrands), and that spacer is about the only way for on twins to move steering wheel closer to driver but still retain stock airbag. If one goes for aftermarket wheel hub and steering wheels for such, there are more alternatives for "deep dish" offset wheels, but those will mean airbag deletion. If anything, i'd rather lean to spacer direction then j luth(atc/k racing/few other brands of same wheels or of same base and different trim), as 2cm imho is insufficient (helps a bit to reach control stalks though w/o extensions), and those steering wheels cost more. But back at the time i got my steering wheel, no spacers were available yet.

Moving wheel closer can help a bit with getting pose right, as otherwise one has to choose between no headroom space, or with reclaimed back of seat another too choices, like too moved forward seat and awkward leg bend and hitting wheel when heal & toeing, or too far from steering wheel and too straight hands/less precision and more tiresome steering.

Here two threads on spacer for a bit more nfo. 1 2

Sometimes i envy people of shorter height, or of better hands/legs/torso proportions to be able to find right ergonomically pose on everything stock. For me .. i can .. only if not wearing helmet. :)

51 minutes ago, Church said:

Well, that j luth's wheel (sold under few other rebrands), and that spacer is about the only way for on twins to move steering wheel closer to driver but still retain stock airbag. If one goes for aftermarket wheel hub and steering wheels for such, there are more alternatives for "deep dish" offset wheels, but those will mean airbag deletion. If anything, i'd rather lean to spacer direction then j luth(atc/k racing/few other brands of same wheels or of same base and different trim), as 2cm imho is insufficient (helps a bit to reach control stalks though w/o extensions), and those steering wheels cost more. But back at the time i got my steering wheel, no spacers were available yet.

Moving wheel closer can help a bit with getting pose right, as otherwise one has to choose between no headroom space, or with reclaimed back of seat another too choices, like too moved forward seat and awkward leg bend and hitting wheel when heal & toeing, or too far from steering wheel and too straight hands/less precision and more tiresome steering.

Here two threads on spacer for a bit more nfo. 1 2

Sometimes i envy people of shorter height, or of better hands/legs/torso proportions to be able to find right ergonomically pose on everything stock. For me .. i can .. only if not wearing helmet. :)

Thanks for that I’m certainly interested in one of these. I will wait to after Christmas and get one one in order. Will post my feedback once all done

I would love it if the steering wheel had more adjustment. I have the seat back as far as it goes and feel that you can't really bring the steering wheel forwards as much as you can in other cars.

3 hours ago, Willtl said:

I would love it if the steering wheel had more adjustment. I have the seat back as far as it goes and feel that you can't really bring the steering wheel forwards as much as you can in other cars.

Have you seen the spacer linked above, this should solve this issue. I’m planning to order one in the next couple of months 

Have you seen the spacer linked above, this should solve this issue. I’m planning to order one in the next couple of months 
Seen it, but seems like an expensive option for something that should really be in the car as standard.

That sounds like "every driver should be born and grown to same height and body proportions as standard". People are different, manufacturers target majority, everything is compromise. Or like with clothes, no, sellers shouldn't make & sell only XXXL ones to fit anyone including midgets.

Another bit is, that seat & wheel fits me just right, and i have even enough headroom .. when not wearing helmet. Given that probably <5% of all the owners will ever have tracked their car at least once and not all of them have body size/proportion to not fit well at best seating pose .. i wouldn't blame toyobaru for "not having it standard". Car works fine for majority of intended customers when used as it's designed. We request from it more then designed/as sold .. then we should be ready to change/mod/pay for that for that specific use.

Even cost of that spacer is relative. Compare to other options that provide same relocation of wheel clother. J Luth like ones bring just half of that and cost 2-3 times the spacer. Same for aftermarket wheels with quick disconnect hub .. which in addition to costing a lot also remove stock airbag.

Hardly. I have two other cars (a Dodge Journey and an A6) and for both of those the steering wheel comes back to the ideal position when I have the seat back as far as I want. My previous car (325i coupe) also allowed this. In comparison to any other modern car, the seating positioning of the BRZ is very limited.

Not talking about for using on track days, just for normal use - when I have the seat back as far as it goes I would like to be able to bring the steering wheel back further.

Well, those cars you compare to, are hardly sporty coupes, where there is bigger incentive to keep size/weight down and (possibly) compromising/sacrificing within reasonable limits comfort/compliance/practicality and alikes. Imho it's not that uncommon to have reduced space, at least in coupes designed as such (leaving out coupes like bmw's of shortened saloon car type, where probably space for driver & front passenger probably is same as in "normal" saloon car it shares platform with). I have to admit, my experience driving in coupes in general is very limited, ancient honda prelude, old bmw coupe, that was too long ago to remember details (and which i never tracked, thus never had to wear helmet), mx-5, from which only later seems closer in class to twin .. and guess what, mx5 was much-much-much worse then twins spacing wise. No headroom at all, legs bent awkwardly and knees hitting steering wheel when heal & toeing.

BTW, do you really need seat as far as it goes? Imho then you have very uncommonly long legs then. From what i've been reading in multiple sources, seeing in multiple vids, tought at few places, right pose is - first lower seat as much as possible, then with clutch pedal fully pressed move back seat just so that leg is still slightly bent in knee/not fully resting on seat base, then with tilt point steering wheel centerline in direction of breast, then, with adjusting back of seat and/or telescopic steering wheel adjustment move your back so that you can put wrist on top of steering wheel without leaning/detaching from seat your back/shoulders. Reasoning being that straight hands/legs can push pedals/turn wheel with less force, less precision (due need to use muscles/joints closer to body) and one tires quicker if such (at least in active/performance/sport driving).

Yes, i've seen some doing differently, that insist that it's ok for example to lean to almost lying down, steering with one straight hand, not buckling seat belt and alike things, but in all cases they never had been taught how it's right, imho just bunch of bad habbits that are accumulated by decades of driving for sake of .. hmm, comfort? Still, if it's up to my choice, and i had to choose what to sacrifice, i'd probably would move seat more to front so that hands on steering wheel are closer to right distance, even if it means i have to bend legs in knees too much (due too leaned back back of seat, for headroom when wearing helmet).

Over the last 4 years I've tried every possible seat configuration and there is no perfect setup for me. My legs are quite long (36" trousers size) and although I have tried moving the seat forwards, it isn't long before I want more space and then want to move the seat back. With the seat furthest back, feel like the steering wheel is slightly too far away to be fully comfortable but unfortunately this is the best compromise.

Because of my size, my legs needs to be angled however the seat is positioned meaning my thighs never properly rest on the seat so I am not comfortably supported. Ideally I'd be able to raise the seat height but then my head will touch the roof.

Simple conclusion is that the car is best suited to shorter people.

1 hour ago, Willtl said:

Over the last 4 years I've tried every possible seat configuration and there is no perfect setup for me. My legs are quite long (36" trousers size) and although I have tried moving the seat forwards, it isn't long before I want more space and then want to move the seat back. With the seat furthest back, feel like the steering wheel is slightly too far away to be fully comfortable but unfortunately this is the best compromise.

Because of my size, my legs needs to be angled however the seat is positioned meaning my thighs never properly rest on the seat so I am not comfortably supported. Ideally I'd be able to raise the seat height but then my head will touch the roof.

Simple conclusion is that the car is best suited to shorter people.

I'm a similar shape. It's not perfect in the GT86 but better than some - I tried a Cayman (2010) and the seat wont go back far enough. Boxster my head hit the roof. z4 was surprisingly spacious. MX-5 (mk4) I couldn't even get my left leg in to sit down! Have an e46 BMW and when I get the seat/wheel correct then the armrest is in the way of comfortable gear-shifting.

The joys of being not-average. Reminds me of first-cars - wanted a 106/saxo but my feet were too big and caught the pedals!

I'm a similar shape. It's not perfect in the GT86 but better than some - I tried a Cayman (2010) and the seat wont go back far enough. Boxster my head hit the roof. z4 was surprisingly spacious. MX-5 (mk4) I couldn't even get my left leg in to sit down! Have an e46 BMW and when I get the seat/wheel correct then the armrest is in the way of comfortable gear-shifting.
The joys of being not-average. Reminds me of first-cars - wanted a 106/saxo but my feet were too big and caught the pedals!
Had same problem with some of the TVRs. Griffith and Cerbera were the only models I could get some level of comfort in with a couple of others almost impossible to get into, let alone get a comfy seating position. Probably need to try something like a Mustang as that will no doubt cater for the taller person.

1 hour ago, Willtl said:
1 hour ago, Adamd said:

Had same problem with some of the TVRs. Griffith and Cerbera were the only models I could get some level of comfort in with a couple of others almost impossible to get into, let alone get a comfy seating position. Probably need to try something like a Mustang as that will no doubt cater for the taller person.

When I viewed the Cayman, the salesman did helpfully(?) point out that the 911 has far more space inside...

Just to add I went ahead and ordered the 949 spacer and have just had it fitted. Only drove for 2mins but it gives so much more room for knees and legs. Might take a while to get used to the indicators but think it is worth it plus can always get the little extenders for them.

also mine is a 17plate with the steering controls and they only had to extend the horn wire for reference, the controls looms he said was a little snug but it did just fit and all controls work as before

7F43CA74-26F1-4CEE-9EB2-C2A26D921551.jpeg

21 minutes ago, Church said:

Oh. As it's one of mods i'm interested in .. can you comment a bit more detailed on ergonomics of operating light stalks with spacer installed?

Just had a sit in, I will have to remove my hand I think to operate the levers. Although I have quite small hands for my size so you might just get away with keeping your hands on the wheel.

I’m just about 6’3 with long arms and legs before i could never have my leg straight on the brake or clutch I had my legs bend around the sides of the wheel. 
now it clears a good inch or 2, pic below shoes my leg just resting on the brake pedal

8DF05AE3-260C-4280-8DB1-22A707BD14E9.jpeg