Lauren

Problems with coil pack connectors on early cars

I am having significant problems with the wiring connectors to the coil pack on my car. It is currently at RRG again. All the coil packs have been replaced over the last three years or so.

RRG say my loom is brittle which is disappointing on a car that although has high mileage at 143K miles is not yet seven years old. I am starting to think that we may all start to experience this problem as our cars get older.

I am not the only one it seems to have problems with the connector on the coil packs when they have been on and off a few times. Maurice has had the same. Unfortunately unless someone can tell me different it does not seem possible to buy the connectors separately from the loom. This could potentially mean a new loom at a cost of £650 which I’d obviously rather avoid. The problem is the loom is seemingly fragile and though RRG have bypassed the loom for one of the coil packs, the problem seems to remain which may well point to the connector itself I think.

On later cars, I think 2017 on there is a revised connector which has a 'triangle' pattern more like a three pin plug than the three terminals in a row on earlier cars. So these are less likely to be an issue. Someone else has suggested replacing with the later terminals though that would mean a new loom plus all four coil packs as long as the loom is interchangable of course. That is an expensive solution though! 

Although it's only so old years wise, it's had 143k miles of heat so that may be what's causing embrittlment. But doesn't sound good...

Sent from my COL-L29 using Tapatalk

Sorry to hear Lauren. I am not quite sure of solutions but thinking of the root cause. Did maurice also have the up and over manifold or was his car stock? I am thinking the additional engine bay temp that it introduces could've made the plastics brittle and people with the OE manifold might not face the issue. Thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

8 minutes ago, BRZ-123 said:

Sorry to hear Lauren. I am not quite sure of solutions but thinking of the root cause. Did maurice also have the up and over manifold or was his car stock? I am thinking the additional engine bay temp that it introduces could've made the plastics brittle and people with the OE manifold might not face the issue. Thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

I wondered this too. Combined with the heat shock from sprints (one lap on it with no time to really warm up gently, then a gap, then repeat) may be enough to have heated and cooled the loom and clips to the point they've become brittle. 

I don't think the manifold goes anywhere near the loom really. It's been on for 43K miles, so not the life of the car. I've spoken to Gary today he's going to have a better look at it mid next week and will come back to me then. It may be that I have to replace the loom. We shall see. I may have to wait till Richard gets back from his hols, so will be rocking the auto Aygo for a couple of weeks by the looks of it! 🤣 It doesn't matter though, I can get around okay which is the main thing. 

Are we talking the point where the wires meet the coil pack? They don't feel very robust, that's for sure. They're on the cylinder heads so they're not particularly in heat's way apart from the coils themselves.

All plastics harden with time, it just sucks that you can't buy the bits without the rest of the loom (not least of which how much a pain it will be to rewire them).