Stutopia

Squeak in Engine Bay, THINK It’s The AC

Last couple of starts and also during a journey (after ~90 mins driving) today, I could hear a squeak from up front. This is not the HPFP/crickets sound and does not appear linked to engine/drivetrain/wheel speed. It’s a little intermittent, but when I parked up and had a listen under the bonnet, I could have sworn it was coming from the AC compressor. Toggled the AC on/off a few times and I think it did fluctuate, but not on/off with the AC switch. Battery voltages seems fine (OEM has been replaced with an upgraded unit). Aux belt was replaced a few thousand miles ago.

Anyone had similar occur? (~70k)

Is there anything else around there it might be, that I should look at?

Is there a bearing and or clutch in the AC unit that might be replaceable?

Any other ideas/suggestions welcome. Thanks, Stu.

Thanks Lauren, it’s a (relatively) inexpensive place to start, so will try that as a starter. I’m pretty sure it’s less than a year old, might have a look at the tensioner too.

Yeah, in most cases squeak from engine bay comes from worn belt. But there might also be less common cases of bearing of some auxiliary device driven by belt (A/C compressor, generator, or at some idler pulley) gone bad.

If belt it is, slightly weird that noise propagated after driving. Most often worn/untight belts squeak during cold starts in winter or if got wet on rainy days, due some slipping, and after a while driving, squeak goes away. Also you mentioned that belt was changed few K miles ago? Was it changed to OE one or some cheaper replacement? Was it tightened when changed?

From quick googling, maybe these might be of help: -1- -2-

1 hour ago, Church said:

Yeah, in most cases squeak from engine bay comes from worn belt. But there might also be less common cases of bearing of some auxiliary device driven by belt (A/C compressor, generator, or at some idler pulley) gone bad.

If belt it is, slightly weird that noise propagated after driving. Most often worn/untight belts squeak during cold starts in winter or if got wet on rainy days, due some slipping, and after a while driving, squeak goes away. Also you mentioned that belt was changed few K miles ago? Was it changed to OE one or some cheaper replacement? Was it tightened when changed?

From quick googling, maybe these might be of help: -1- -2-

Cheers for the links, I will have a read after work. 

I checked my history, new belt went on in Feb 2019, probably done 10k. I think it was a Gates belt, which I’ve used before on my 350z with no issue, but I’ll replace as a matter of course.

I’m due a service in 6 weeks so I’ve just brought that forward and will ask my mechanic to investigate both the suspicious compressor pulley and the tensioner tension then. 

Apart from wear, the belt could be squeaking due to a slippery substance it might have picked up (oil, grease...). Inspection of the belt and eventual cleaning may cure the problem.

Got it looked at by my mechanic during a service. The AC pump is the source of the squeak, not only does the sound come right out of it, it temporarily went away with a little lube -sadly returned with a vengeance shortly after. Will try and source a replacement from a breaker.