ualverig

Exhaust Upgrade

On 11/19/2019 at 5:56 PM, Twigman said:

I'm growing to love my HKS Spec-L - it sounds awesome now I've blocked the sound hole.

@Twigman   I just got my HKS spec-L . It drones around 2700-3300 rpm  on medium to high load which is 75% of the normal driving range. My only other exhaust mode is Tomei EL header.

I only had it for 2 days but considering going back to stock, unless I can fix it somehow. 

You really didn't have any drone?

11 hours ago, Adi said:

@Twigman   I just got my HKS spec-L . It drones around 2700-3300 rpm  on medium to high load which is 75% of the normal driving range. My only other exhaust mode is Tomei EL header.

I only had it for 2 days but considering going back to stock, unless I can fix it somehow. 

You really didn't have any drone?

I woudn't call it drone. It's a sweet sound. At my motorway cruising speeds it disappears almost completely. I love the sound when accelerating through that rev range.

I found plugging the sound hole from the airbox improves the experience no end.

The 'drone' is nothing compared to my Spitfire with extractor manifold, 3" centre pipe and twin straight through...that droned. And my FireBlade on full Yoshi race pipe.......perhaps I'm used to 'drone'. To me the Spec-L just sounds a bit sportier than std - I bought it because I wanted to hear the exhaust, if that's 'drone' then won't all sports pipes have it? My manifold, overpipe and frontpipe are stock, mind, I suspect it might get intrusive if you go catless.

I had a tomei el with cobra cat back resonated. My front pipe was stock and this droned a little.

I've replaced it with a hks front pipe which has 2 resonators and it doesnt drone anymore.

This does mean I'm running full decat which may not be ideal for some.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

That's the one. There were a couple used ones floating about for about 100 quid if used is your thing.

If I remember correctly, resonators reduce drone but not overall decibels. And mufflers reduce decibels but not drone.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Cheers guys, I really appreciate it. I am driving it a bit more and starting to get more used to it. It's not as bad as I initially felt, but still quite boomy on load  2.5k-3.5k. Will definitely look into a resonated front pipe or get a local exhaust company to  replace the mini-muffler of the  stock front pipe with a proper resonator. Would have been nice if the HKS one had a CAT,  oh well :). 

5 hours ago, matrixprotein said:

This does mean I'm running full decat which may not be ideal for some.

What's wrong with full decat besides the MOT issue? Does it smell really bad ? Too loud ? MPH ?