GT_86

First MOT after TD UEL and Cat Back

Today was my first MOT since having the UEL Manifold and Cat Back fitted. It passed but initially failed on the first couple of emissions tests. Tried it in all maps and it was in map 4 when it passed. I did take advice from reading on here and it was well warmed when I turned up for the MOT, but the emissions test was last so it may have cooled down a bit before the test. Either way it passed it the end.

The tester mentioned the MOT rules were changing next year and any exhaust sounding louder than factory will fail! He told me that is not just starting from a particular model year and will apply to all! Anyone else heard of this rule change coming in next year?

I don't know if it's getting stricter next year, but currently I believe the mot rules say it can fail if the car is noisier than a similar car with stock exhaust. 

A quick hunt on Google says this came in around 2010ish and people often get advisaries but not been able to find anyone failing with it.

Use a garage that understands performance cars.

"yes sir, this car is a sports car, a similar car car with stock exhaust you say? Well this Pagani is also a sports car, let's compare exhaust volume" :)

The regulation document specifically stated full power at the highest revs available for that power, i.e. 6500 rpm on the GT86, but that might be quite a way from redline on small turbo cars. It's stated that way to accommodate hybrids and such I think.

On 11/16/2019 at 6:40 PM, GT_86 said:

The tester mentioned the MOT rules were changing next year and any exhaust sounding louder than factory will fail! He told me that is not just starting from a particular model year and will apply to all! 

This same rule applies to motorcycle MOTs. I'd be surprised if it wasn't already in place for cars?

"Exhaust noise from the vehicle must not be unreasonably above the noise level normally expected from a similar vehicle with a standard silencer in average condition."

It is down to the testers discretion so just take it to your local friendly MOT centre, there's plenty of partially deaf testers around 😉

On 11/17/2019 at 8:00 PM, James18 said:

It is down to the testers discretion so just take it to your local friendly MOT centre, there's plenty of partially deaf testers around 😉

where I get my motorcycle MOT'd they don't even start the engine