CherryBomb

Is anyone going to see Le Mans 66/Ford vs Ferrari?

I think it will be interesting to see how Hollywood handles the story.

I'm planning on going Friday evening, to the Greenwich O2 Cineworld. I'm going to see it in 4DX, which seems like a really cool option, with moving seats and such. Movie-going has come a long way! If anyone wants to come along, let me know.

Great as Rush was, the racing scenes were not all that good and it played fast and loose with some of its history (Lauda not knowing who Hunt was).  I'm expecting LM66 to be the same, and possibly worse for re-writing the past/silly racing scenes!  The chemistry between Bale and Damon has looked good in the clips and interviews.

I went and saw it this evening. Without giving anything away, I will say that I am surprised it got an 8 on IMDB. I would give it a 6. But that's just my opinioin. Christian Bale was his usual wonderful self. He's a great actor, and his performance was not a let-down. Matt Damon? Eh. I didn't feel a lot from his character. I've seen several interviews with Carroll Shelby, and he strikes me as a spitfire. I don't really think Matt Damon captured that. But hey, I'm no expert or movie critic. Overall, it's not a bad movie, and seeing the up-close racing shots on the big screen is cool, but if you want to buddy up with Lauren and watch it on Netflix, I don't blame you.

On 11/14/2019 at 10:22 AM, nerdstrike said:

The previous notable racing rivalry film: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1979320/?ref_=nv_sr_2?ref_=nv_sr_2 . It was good fun, there could have been more focus on racing.

It wouldn't surprise me if the two films have a lot in common.

Right, I just watched "Rush". That was a very good movie. I enjoyed it much more than Le Mans 66. I was looking forward to Le Mans 66 because I've read and watched so much about Shelby and Ferrari and know the story, but the movie was only so-so, in my opinion. I used to watch races on tv as a little kid with my older brother, but I don't recall hearing of Niki Lauda and James Hunt, but this was a good movie, with good character development and more passion. That Niki Lauda was one tough sonofabitch. At the end I saw in the credits that Ron Howard directed it, and I thought, 'Ah, no wonder it was good.'

I got some enjoyment out of the movie, and the theatre was loud enough to really give you the howling madness of being inside a GT40, but rather like Days of Thunder it suffers from rev and gearchange-itis. The sound and cutting room guys managed to arrange more than one full-throttle before the apex. I did enjoy the dead-eye rivalry between drivers, and I liked the portayal of car development, but the overall quality of the movie was mixed in my view. A grudging 7?

I've always dreamt of going to the Le Mans. Hope to catch it next year. 
Been numerous times. It's a great experience. Hopefully going back in 2021

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

On 11/18/2019 at 9:40 AM, ualverig said:

I've always dreamt of going to the Le Mans. Hope to catch it next year. 

Already have my tickets booked for 2020 - which will be my 19th Le Mans. Every petrolhead should go at least once.

I went and saw it this evening. Without giving anything away, I will say that I am surprised it got an 8 on IMDB. I would give it a 6. But that's just my opinioin. Christian Bale was his usual wonderful self. He's a great actor, and his performance was not a let-down. Matt Damon? Eh. I didn't feel a lot from his character. I've seen several interviews with Carroll Shelby, and he strikes me as a spitfire. I don't really think Matt Damon captured that. But hey, I'm no expert or movie critic. Overall, it's not a bad movie, and seeing the up-close racing shots on the big screen is cool, but if you want to buddy up with Lauren and watch it on Netflix, I don't blame you.

Watched the Senna biography on DVD a couple of days ago. Great film and rivalry. Will also wait for Netflix for this one

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk