Neil-h

A couple of questions for turbo kit owners

Hi all, I figure it makes sense to put this in here as it may come in handy for other people thinking about buying a TD Turbo kit. So I've got a few things i'd like to know.

1. How long does the kit take to fit?

2. Is it essential to go for the full de-cat and does retaining the main cat cause any problems?

3. If the full de-cat is essential, what are people doing come MOT time?

Ta,
Neil

1) Dropped it off 1 weekend & picked it up the next.

2) I’m pretty sure the extra heat from the turbo kit will kill the cat in no time. There must be an alternative out there but you’d need to speak to mike.

3) friendly mot guy👍

2 hours ago, Neil-h said:

Hi all, I figure it makes sense to put this in here as it may come in handy for other people thinking about buying a TD Turbo kit. So I've got a few things i'd like to know.

1. How long does the kit take to fit?

2. Is it essential to go for the full de-cat and does retaining the main cat cause any problems?

3. If the full de-cat is essential, what are people doing come MOT time?

Ta,
Neil

Hi Neil,

We have the car for a week as Lee pointed out above, this leaves us extra time to road test and ensure all is well prior to the car being collected.

We advise the second decat however if people really want to keep the second CAT then they can do, this will take the edge from the power figures.

MOT I couldn't possibly advise :) 

Thanks

Mike

On topic, would it be worth adding a sports cat to the front pipe using a set of V-band clamps so you can remove it for track days of course? ;) 

If so, do you reckon it's something you could do Mike? :) 

Mike, any idea what effect the putting a sports cat in will have on performance? 

From memory (from when I was playing round with Imprezas) the gains from a full decat on a turbod engine aren’t that drastic.

I opted for the Berk high flow cat.  Mike couldn't get it to work correctly.  If I remember, something about retarding the timing?  So give that one a miss if you were thinking of it.  I'm tempted by the Avo world 3" full exhaust with catalyser.  Surely this would work as its designed for the Avo turbo kit. 

19 minutes ago, GT86-Ian said:

My car passed with both Berk and later with the AVO 3" high flow cat system.

That's good to know.  Do you know if it's compatible with the TD kit?  From the overpipe back that is. 

4 minutes ago, mart86 said:

That's good to know.  Do you know if it's compatible with the TD kit?  From the overpipe back that is. 

I doubt it as the AVO is 3" from overpipe back.

16 hours ago, Neil-h said:

Mike, any idea what effect the putting a sports cat in will have on performance? 

From memory (from when I was playing round with Imprezas) the gains from a full decat on a turbod engine aren’t that drastic.

On our stage 1 we've dropped around 10hp or just over so as a reference point.

Thanks

Mike

I don't know about the stock cat but with a sports cat mine is making 270hp with TD Turbo Stage 1. 

Had tried the stock cat in place of the sports cat and the car is quieter and more environmentally friendly but so sluggish so I have put the sports cat back in place. 

8 hours ago, vanko25 said:

I don't know about the stock cat but with a sports cat mine is making 270hp with TD Turbo Stage 1. 

Had tried the stock cat in place of the sports cat and the car is quieter and more environmentally friendly but so sluggish so I have put the sports cat back in place. 

What sports cat are you using? 

23 hours ago, vanko25 said:

Have you had the car MOT'd since having the turbo conversion done? If so did it pass ok?

Hey @mart86 it is custom made by Rogue Motorsports bought it form Jeff (aka Deacon).  I haven't been through MOT after the turbo swap as I have since moved back to Europe. It is unlikely it will pass MOT with the sports cat but you have a good chance to pass if you install the OEM cat in place for the MOT. It takes less than 1 hour if you put the car on ramps or about 1.30 mins if you doing it on the floor on jack stands.