3card

Seriously want a GT86

Hi Guys

I looking to purchase my 1st GT86. Call it a midlife crisis if you want but since i started to look for a sporty number i havent looked at anything else since i saw and test drive a GT86

I am interested in peoples advice

I am looking for a £10K to £12K budget and as long as there is a full service history i am not too concerned with the mileage - unless I advised differently. But my wife is pretty insistent that we dont have another red car LOL

Thanks for any help

Mick

14 hours ago, GT86-Ian said:

Try and purchase a MY14 plate onward's to avoid the valve spring recall.

Thanks Ian. I'll bear that in mind

If this needs doing is it a Toyota recall or is it chargeable?

23 minutes ago, 3card said:

Thanks Ian. I'll bear that in mind

If this needs doing is it a Toyota recall or is it chargeable?

It's a Toyota cost but involves effectively a full engine rebuild and from what I've heard they've not been 100% successful.

37 minutes ago, Twigman said:

It's a Toyota cost but involves effectively a full engine rebuild and from what I've heard they've not been 100% successful.

It's not anything like a full engine rebuild, in fact it's nothing of the kind. They don't even remove the heads to replace the valves. Sure the cam covers come off and the cams have to come out, but that is all really. Due to the laws of probability nothing generally is 100% successful. But what is important here is not to spread over hyped scare stories when a lot of us have had the valve spring recall done with no problems at all. I would not be put off buying a car second hand if it had the valve spring recall. All I would do is make sure it's done a bit of mileage afterwards. Any failures and there have been very few in the UK will have resulted in the first 50 miles post recall. 

Also it's worth remembering that if the OP bought a car that has just had the recall done, then it will have a warranty for a year on the engine.

21 hours ago, 3card said:

I am looking for a £10K to £12K budget and as long as there is a full service history i am not too concerned with the mileage - unless I advised differently. But my wife is pretty insistent that we dont have another red car LOL

Welcome and good choice in car. (not red though as we all know pearl white is the best colour :) )

Mine cost £10K with 69,000 miles on it (14 plate) from a Toyota dealer so your budget is doable. Just check with the higher mileage ones that the 60,000 service has been completed otherwise factor in the change of spark plugs into your purchase price. I was lucky that the previous owner had the car serviced at a main dealer, so all the servicing and work was recorded up purchase. 

7 hours ago, Twigman said:

It's nothing like a full engine rebuild! This is at best misinformation and at worst, scaremongering. They don't even take the heads off to change the valve springs. Things like this can never be 100% successful but that's just probability for you. 3505 cars in the UK are affected.  Most have no issues and the bonus is that if you buy a car car that is a 2012/13 car most owners will have had the plugs changed and a new clutch as part of the deal. This saves money in the future. For cars that have problems post recall, pretty much all of these will be in the first 50 miles of driving the car away. I wouldn't see that as a reason to be put off. Also factor in that the coolant will have been changed and the aircon recharged. The recall is a big free service really. 

Thanks for all the replies up to yet and hopefully more to come 🙂

I was aware of the 60K spark plug change and have been looking to see if any possible cars have had this carried out

I learnt a little more about the valve springs 'recall' so theres some more to bear in mind

So at present my shopping list includes built in satnav (def) leather seats heated (maybe), reversing sensors (maybe but i could have these fitted afterwards), auto dimming internal mirror, full service history.

I would also appreciate existing owners thoughts on auto vs manual gearbox

8 hours ago, 3card said:

I would also appreciate existing owners thoughts on auto vs manual gearbox

Everyone with a manual will say it's better. All those with an auto will try to convince you that it's brilliant. 

There aren't many naturally aspirated RWD manual coupes you can buy these days. Make the most of a manual gearbox whilst you still can. The auto removes a level of involvement that you get with the manual. 

None of the cars have an auto dimming mirror - it was on the spec sheet but they've never even been an option. If you get leather seats, they will be heated - heating was standard on all leather and leather/alcantara seats.

I wouldn't bother with the satnav. The whole head unit is dated, to say the least; if you really want built-in nav then buy a decent aftermarket head unit with it built in.

Auto Vs manual: the auto is an old-school torque converter, I think they claimed it had the fastest torque converter shift in the world at launch, most other autos are DCT these days so if you're used to those it may feel slower to shift but by all accounts it's not too bad.

The manual can be difficult to get into 2nd when cold; most owners report some degree of difficulty. It can apparently be improved with a change to different oil in the box. I haven't had that done, but I do have an aftermarket shift spring and an insert for the gearbox mount. Those improve the 2nd gear a little, and give a very sweet gearchange (some complain about a slight increase in noise from the mount). Very cheap upgrades, and excellent value.

9 hours ago, Andyroo104 said:

Whereabouts are you located ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I am based in Walsall, West Mids but if i think i can see the right car i travel to look at it (Maybe 100 miles)..........then hopefully have an enjoyable drive back home 🙂 

Welcome Mick

It might be worth popping into Evan Halshaw in Walsall as they have a black 2014 (63 reg) car, for £10,770. Not sure if it has SatNav, however it doesn't have any out standing recalls and has 11months MOT (till Oct 2020):

https://www.evanshalshaw.com/search/vehicledetails/used-car-toyota-gt86--manual-petrol-white-coupe-sm63opk/

I'd recommend you take your time and read up on the Recall as, due to your budget you'll be buying a car around the affected age (12-14)

Thanks

Will

23 minutes ago, will300 said:

Welcome Mick

It might be worth popping into Evan Halshaw in Walsall as they have a black 2014 (63 reg) car, for £10,770. Not sure if it has SatNav, however it doesn't have any out standing recalls and has 11months MOT (till Oct 2020):

https://www.evanshalshaw.com/search/vehicledetails/used-car-toyota-gt86--manual-petrol-white-coupe-sm63opk/

I'd recommend you take your time and read up on the Recall as, due to your budget you'll be buying a car around the affected age (12-14)

Thanks

Will

How uncanny.

I was looking at that as you posted. I've have made a mental note to give them a ring to check the details because it says its white

I did test drive a white GT86 about a month ago from the same dealer so i want to make sure that they haven't copied & pasted the info.

Can i ask how you know there are no outstanding recalls?

Thanks again Will

3 minutes ago, 3card said:

How uncanny.

I was looking at that as you posted. I've have made a mental note to give them a ring to check the details because it says its white

I did test drive a white GT86 about a month ago from the same dealer so i want to make sure that they haven't copied & pasted the info.

Can i ask how you know there are no outstanding recalls?

Thanks again Will

Visit this website: https://www.gov.uk/check-vehicle-recall and then click the: Check if a car has a safety recall link.

You enter the reg and it lists the MOT history and any recalls. 

You can also check on the Toyota website here: https://www.toyota.co.uk/owners/vehicle-information/recall-checker but this won't show you the MOT history.

Seriously, the integral satnav is at best quirky and offers confusing instructions. It also zooms in very close on big roundabouts so you can't tell which exit you need at a glance. It also costs a small fortune to refresh the maps, and the DIY process is hilariously convoluted. If there are roadworks or heavy traffic on your route it will prompt you every five minutes whether you want to change route, but can't offer much insight as to what the redirect will do. It also likes to inform you of heavy traffic just after you've passed the last possible escape.

Many of these criticism can be levelled at Garmin devices too, but at least those cost less than a map update. All these things are overshadowed by the capabilities of Google Maps.

Basically, buy the right car, not the one with satnav.

ThAts a great price as well tbh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

If I'd could put my two pence in. Don't seek out the factory Toyota sat nav as previously mentioned, it's awful. I spent around £500 to install a high quality Sony 7inch touchscreen with android auto/apple car play as well as Bluetooth. This meant I had much better sound quality, great radio reception as well as Dab. Once you plug your phone in you have the best voice control, navigation and music options available at the touch of a button.

Also if you have something like this installed you can have a very nice subtle reversing camera installed which saves drilling holes in the bumper for parking sensors and makes reversing far less of a guessing game. 

As with any car a very well documented service history is a must have.