CherryBomb

That unique GT86 sound!

I was looking up youtube videos about 6 speed vs 5 speed transmissions and what the differences are. I'm trying to learn everything I can so I understand my car. Sometimes I think, what exactly is the point of the 6th gear? lol. I'm sure some of you are rolling your eyes. Well, I clicked on one video, and there was a about a ten-second intro with some text and the sound of a car starting up and running. I thought, that sounds like a GT86! And sure enough, when the video started, it was! I definitely do not have a trained ear for different cars, but this car really does have a unique sound!

The sound is quite unique. It's a combination of the high revving four cilinder boxer engine and the exhaust system.

Regarding the sixth gear, I think it's mainly there to reduce fuel consumption at constant speed, as well as getting a better environmental rating.

Sixth gear is good for motorway cruising - reduces noise and improves economy.

It's not what the car is about, but if you use it on your daily commute as I do (60 miles per day), then it's important, too.

Agreed about the sound, the boxer engine does have a lovely rumble.

hmm, short geared? AFAIK at top speed of 145mph/233kmh (don't recall though if drag or ecu tune limited) one won't even reach redline, no? All extra cog may net (that is if limited (if stock NA) engine power will be sufficient to overcome drag at top speed but even lower rpms), improve a bit fuel economy and lower a bit noise, which still be very high due little sound insulation/tire noise/high speed wind noise, not from engine only. Otherwise it's gearing does the job improving acceleration down low. I'd think of longer gearing .. probably at most if went forced induction.

12 minutes ago, Church said:

hmm, short geared?

It could do with a 7th longer gear.....keeping the 6 it already has. Cruising at 90-100mph  (140-160kph) puts the engine right where I don't want it (MT).

It has GT in the name, which stands for 'Grand Tourer' in most peoples' dictionaries.....it should be capable of doing some 'grand touring'.

Clearly the designers had 70mph cruising as their priority when selecting the top ratio - some of us like to cruise a bit faster. Often 70mph feels like I could get out and walk faster.

Perhaps I crave an Aston Martin?

5 minutes ago, Jay said:

I don't think there's enough torque for cruising at high speed with an even longer gear ratio. 

Of course there is - you don't need oodles of torque to maintain a constant speed.

Clearly none of you have driven cars from the 60s or 70s that couldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding but could do 70mph with no problem.

27 minutes ago, Twigman said:

...Clearly none of you have driven cars from the 60s or 70s that couldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding but could do 70mph with no problem.

I'm not talking 70, I'm talking 120+. The slightest climb or headwind will force one to shift down to maintain speed.

1 minute ago, Jay said:

I'm talking 120+.

and I was talking 90-100

120+ cruising is just not possible, even on the autobahn. The roads are too crowded.

Also aero drag and power to counter it grows at very high rate. So even if 70mph doesn't look that much slower then 100mph, drag (and power required) differs a LOT, so not sure, if worth to compare with cars/power/speed of past. From wiki, if car cruising at 50mph needs 10hp to counter aero drag, 80hp - to counter drag at speed of 100mph.

39 minutes ago, Jay said:

I'm not talking 70, I'm talking 120+. The slightest climb or headwind will force one to shift down to maintain speed.

and that would be a problem, why?

As it is we're running at uncomfortably high revs on the level or downhill.

16 minutes ago, Twigman said:

and that would be a problem, why?

As it is we're running at uncomfortably high revs on the level or downhill.

Suddenly I understand why we have different opinions about a 7th gear. My GT86 has an automatic gearbox, which has a significantly longer 6th gear: 0.760 manual, against 0.582 automatic. An extra gear wouldn't hurt the manual version. 😉

Why I chose an automatic? I've been driving cars with automatic gearbox for almost 25 years, because of arthritis which from time to time affects the lower spine, making it painful to use a clutch pedal, specifically in traffic jams. 😐

4 minutes ago, Jay said:

An extra gear wouldn't hurt the manual version. 😉

Thank you.

At last someone agrees with me!

I couldn't accept that I was the only one!

7 minutes ago, Twigman said:

...I couldn't accept that I was the only one!

Maybe I'm the only one on GT86.org.uk who drives an automatic, paddling through the gears. 😁 Now I feel so terribly lonely! 🤣🤣🤣

5 hours ago, Twigman said:

It could do with a 7th longer gear.....keeping the 6 it already has. Cruising at 90-100mph  (140-160kph) puts the engine right where I don't want it (MT).

It has GT in the name, which stands for 'Grand Tourer' in most peoples' dictionaries.....it should be capable of doing some 'grand touring'.

Clearly the designers had 70mph cruising as their priority when selecting the top ratio - some of us like to cruise a bit faster. Often 70mph feels like I could get out and walk faster.

Perhaps I crave an Aston Martin?

I don't get this. I've done four long Euro trips in my car including desestricted autobahn on all of them. I think the gearing is ideal. I don't cruise over 80 in this country but the car with the gearing it has is happiest cruising at 100mph. At 90 it's great too as you are well into the torque band of the engine so it picks up really well to about 110mph. Far better than it does at 70mph in 6th gear. Over 100mph fuel consumption really takes a hit I find. On derestricted autobahn I cruise between 100-110mph which is fine. I'll have the odd run over 200km/h (120mph) and beyond where there's space. I do tons of long distance driving in my car, only went from Manchester to London and back yesterday, it handles it really well. I wouldn't want the gearing to be longer. Still returned 43.6mpg as well which is good enough I think. 

16 hours ago, Lauren said:

I don't get this.

I just find that in 6th at high continental cruising speed it feels like it would be more comfortable with a few hundred fewer revs.

I often find myself reaching to change up when I'm already in 6th.