CherryBomb

Commercials and Promotionals for Our Cars

So I'm searching for GT86 adverts on Youtube, because I've never actually seen one on telly before, and what do I come across??? Only a video of Tetsuya Tada at an event in the UK with people I know in the background and being interviewed! 😮 Wow, cool! I'm sharing it here, though I imagine it was posted back in 2016 when the event occured, plus some other commercials from around the world.

Annie, I remember the meet with Tada San very well. My work were not impressed when I said I have to take two days off to meet Toyota's chief engineer. We all booked a hotel and dashed down there for the meet up. This was the day after the Referendum in 2016. Funnily enough I was only out for dinner with Ross (guy sitting in the red one) last week! Good times indeed. :)

3 hours ago, Lauren said:

Annie, I remember the meet with Tada San very well. My work were not impressed when I said I have to take two days off to meet Toyota's chief engineer. We all booked a hotel and dashed down there for the meet up. This was the day after the Referendum in 2016. Funnily enough I was only out for dinner with Ross (guy sitting in the red one) last week! Good times indeed. :)

Ah, so cool. Work just has to get over these sorts of things, these important life events, eh? It almost would have been worth getting fired over lol. Did you ask him about the torque dip, by any chance? :)

4 minutes ago, Subota Boy said:

Great thread, Annie!!

Thanks, Keith. Yours was the first face I noticed by the way. I was just listening at first and then looked up, and there you were. I yelled at the monitor lol. So I rewound and watched closely, and saw several of you. Woop! Woop! So cool. But I'm so envious, awwww. Wish I could have been there. Oh well. So glad some of the gang were there.

Yes Annie.  It was the most amazing day!  I got Tada San to sign my Toyota book and he was most interested in my nose badge, which we were discussing in the video.  Lovely man.  Very grateful that the Drivers Club were able to link up with Toyota to make this happen!! (assuming that is how it came to fruition - I don't know the details).

DSCN2203%20-%20Copy_zpsmj5ne3mf.jpg

8 hours ago, CherryBomb said:

Ah, so cool. Work just has to get over these sorts of things, these important life events, eh? It almost would have been worth getting fired over lol. Did you ask him about the torque dip, by any chance? :)

I didn't specifically ask about the torque dip, because that's really more a result of emissions and to a point to make the car feel like it gets going at higher revs. He was very interested in my AE86 which I still had at the time and loved hearing about that. We talked about what might happen in the future for the GT but he didn't give anything away of course. He enjoyed looking at what I had done to my car. It was a fab day and Toyota looked after us well with food and a mobile ice cream parlour! :)

4 hours ago, Subota Boy said:

Yes Annie.  It was the most amazing day!  I got Tada San to sign my Toyota book and he was most interested in my nose badge, which we were discussing in the video.  Lovely man.  Very grateful that the Drivers Club were able to link up with Toyota to make this happen!! (assuming that is how it came to fruition - I don't know the details).

It was complicated, I think Rob had something to do with it as well as Richard at RRG. But Adrian and Patrick are very good friends of mine, I've known both of them 20 odd years now! I was with others competing in the TSS which Adrian setup, so there was a huge amount of cross-linking between the lot of us. Tada San wanted to meet the owners of the GT so us lot were an obvious choice! :)

Imho relatively abnormal popularity of cabrios despite rainy climate is UK specific thing, not sure it would add that much of extra twins sold numbers world wide. I certainly know that i'd never consider cabrio to have heavier, less rigid and more expensive car that is even noisier due less sound insulation, and easier to break into. Only way i'd think of getting such if car had been designed as roofless from ground up and only option possible, like MX5 or S2K. As for good things that cabrios provide .. imho motorcycles are even better at those.

Damn. That mentioned meet looks to me as enviable event i'd much love to get to. Lot's of cars i like, lot's of people with similar tastes/interests, and on top able to meet/talk with Tada san :). 👍

15 hours ago, GT86-Ian said:

Might of sold a few more with this one.

Ewwww, nooooo,  sacrilege. I have actually seen photos of that prototype, and I'm so glad they didn't go into production. A convertible version just seems so out of sync with what this car is all about. I have to go wash my eyes now.

On 10/31/2019 at 8:51 PM, Church said:

imho motorcycles are even better at those.

I have a bike (Honda FireBlade) and have owned an open 2 seater sports car (Triumph Spitfire) and can categorically say that bikes do not deliver the open top motoring experience. They are completely different - there is nothing like the wind in the hair experience of an open top car. Motorcycles don't deliver that at all.

30 minutes ago, Church said:

Even if open face helmet instead of integral one? :)

yes - it's a completely different experience. Have you done either?

Well, if purely & exactly "wind in hair", then of course mandatory helmet will rob some. But in sense how close ambient feels and of speed feel even at relatively slow speeds, only karts ever gave me something close to motorcycle's :). Maybe "track-toy" cars like ktm crossbow/radical/lotus 7/ariel atom might be similar with their much lower seating, tight cabin/open wheels in addition to open top, but mx5, when i had a go in it, felt too much "like car". Though both times with me driving in mx5 were on trackdays (so also with helmet :D), maybe road cruising is different.