Nicebiscuit

Bucket list drive: Stelvio Pass

This has been on my bucket list since forever and it didn’t disappoint. Thus drive was worth the price of the GT86 alone. I got really lucky with it still being open this late, and it was absolutely deserted. Just me, the car and traction control turned off.

Fantastic - never driven a road so twisty most of the hairpins are FIRST gear... . Very much recommended... bf302d4e9a567af3633186b8142ae6ab.jpg

Yeah I did it back in July, but was quit busy. Awesome in the 86 with traction off as you say.....

Looking to do it again, perhaps with a few 86’s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Off season must be the thing. Utterly deserted today, and nicely damp . That said, very lucky the snow hasn’t come yet. Usually closed by now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Its a cool road. Good that you managed to get it on a quiet day. Usually is full of caravans and bankers on push bikes. I prefer the San Bernardino. Just as its always quiet and more pretty, but a bit short which is a shame.

Very nice, was out in Europe earlier this year and unfortunately ran out of time to make it to stelvio and northern Italy. Some fantastic places bit further north if you are near by and have time. Grimsel/furka pass, fluelapass, Silvertta strabe and grossglockner. Unfortunately not sure if they are still open at this time of year.

Glad you enjoyed it. The view is worth it, but I'm not sure about those hairpins. You have to turn everything off anyway and boot it round as otherwise there can be some reversing involved as it's that tight. I've done it twice but didn't enjoy the staircase much. The first time I went up it was full of bikers, cyclists which was a nightmare. The second time it was quiet which was much better. Preferred the other side where it is more open. Did you get an oppportunity to drive the Grimsel/Susten, Klausen or Furka? The Grimsel/Susten is my favourite on the Swiss side though i think my favourite roads in the Alps are are around the Dolomites. The Hahnntenjoch and Grossglockner in Austria are pretty mega too. :)

Glad you enjoyed it. The view is worth it, but I'm not sure about those hairpins. You have to turn everything off anyway and boot it round as otherwise there can be some reversing involved as it's that tight. I've done it twice but didn't enjoy the staircase much. The first time I went up it was full of bikers, cyclists which was a nightmare. The second time it was quiet which was much better. Preferred the other side where it is more open. Did you get an oppportunity to drive the Grimsel/Susten, Klausen or Furka? The Grimsel/Susten is my favourite on the Swiss side though i think my favourite roads in the Alps are are around the Dolomites. The Hahnntenjoch and Grossglockner in Austria are pretty mega too.

Not this time - flying visit... You’re right about the hairpins. The handbrake was quite handy... ;-). I think the damp road helped and I didn’t see another car or bike all the way up. Will never manage that again! Coming back via Briançon - know the Lauteret pass really well so I enjoy that one - very open...

The lock is actually very good on the 86. Did get me thinking though - recently got an fwd Alfa Spider, and the steering lock on those is abysmal due to the weird steering geometry Alfa use. No way would that have got round those bends...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's a miracle you managed to get a clean run up it. Very lucky the snow hasnt hit yet either. I'm looking forward to getting my chance to do a mountain pass in the 86 next year. More than likely the susten and San Bernard. 

Wish they were closer to home though as I love the mountain roads. 

9 hours ago, Lauren said:

Glad you enjoyed it. The view is worth it, but I'm not sure about those hairpins. You have to turn everything off anyway and boot it round as otherwise there can be some reversing involved as it's that tight. I've done it twice but didn't enjoy the staircase much. The first time I went up it was full of bikers, cyclists which was a nightmare. The second time it was quiet which was much better. Preferred the other side where it is more open. Did you get an oppportunity to drive the Grimsel/Susten, Klausen or Furka? The Grimsel/Susten is my favourite on the Swiss side though i think my favourite roads in the Alps are are around the Dolomites. The Hahnntenjoch and Grossglockner in Austria are pretty mega too. :)

Was on the Grimsel and Furka on Saturday, not in the 86 unfortunately. Must bring it over at some point. Plenty of bikers out, many porkas and the like too plus the nutters on cycles struggling up! Awesome scenery and roads. Have driven the Susten on a previous visit too.

E23C2A46-2A6E-4224-B2FE-E8460A57F1B1.jpeg

DABEFD9A-F3DB-443D-A5F9-A7CC840E5C04.jpeg

8939E47B-88E7-4B1D-9E7B-23B0C61413E0.jpeg

Takes me back to 2008 when a group of us Subaruists did a tour including Stelvio, Susten, Nurburgring etc.  It was definitely more pleasurable going down the other side, especially in a larger saloon.  This thread brings back many great memories.060905%20138_zpsuujelld0.jpg

060905%20133_zps5zqsoq2e.jpg

060905%20131_zpslpldr1fn.jpg