GT86_Kn

Fidanza Lightweight vs Stock Flywheel

Hello all,

My very first post here, so good to meet everyone. 

I have a question about the Fidanza Lightweight Flywheel.

Ref to Fensport's link: https://www.fensport.co.uk/products/fidanza-lightweight-alloy-flywheel-gt86-brz

Do you recommend changing to this Flywheel from the stock one?

My current setup is an Xtreme Clutch Kit Stage 2 and about 300bhp muscles from the Engine.

My stock flywheel has been repaired and straightened twice (1 in stock Clutch kit, 2nd in the Xtreme Clutch kit)

Hence im thinking for the upgrade to the Fidanza, but im considering about rumours saying the bad rattling noise the lightweight flywheels do while idling and of how much easier is to stall your engine (since revs go down musch faster).

Can I have your valuable suggestions please? Anyone happy or unhappy after upgrading to a lightweight flywheel.

P.s driving is strictly limited to normal road usage and few occasions of driving in loads of traffic.

Many thanks for your time in advance.

I had this brand on my NC MX5, not sure how much lighter this is than stock, but I had not issues with it or rattle, it just rev'd a lot more freely. 

Why have you had to have your stock one straightened? Not heard of this before. 

What have you done to make your 300hp?

3 hours ago, Rich196 said:

I had this brand on my NC MX5, not sure how much lighter this is than stock, but I had not issues with it or rattle, it just rev'd a lot more freely. 

Why have you had to have your stock one straightened? Not heard of this before. 

What have you done to make your 300hp?

Stock is about 11kg and the Fidanza is close to 5kg, so quite large difference.

In the 1st instance its unknown as I bought the car 2nd-handed and the flywheel was already unbalanced and had to get straightened, Reverse was not engaging imagine unless i would turn the engine off.

In the 2nd instance i had to straighten it because of improper installation of the Xtreme clutch kit or incompatibility of the Clutch material with the flywheel itself that brought some huge temperatures within the compartment, havent understood yet hence why Im considering to go to the upgraded Fidanza now.

I can tell you my setup in a DM as I dont wont to get off topic:)

Thanks for your reply Rich196

Reverse was not engaging? Sounds like slight clutch drag. It might aswell be not due clutch/flywheel, but also because of misadjusted clutch pedal travel, not allowing complete clutch disengagement.

7 hours ago, Church said:

Reverse was not engaging? Sounds like slight clutch drag. It might aswell be not due clutch/flywheel, but also because of misadjusted clutch pedal travel, not allowing complete clutch disengagement.

Well, it was fixed after I switched from the stock clutch to the Xtreme one, Reverse was engaging like in every other normal car, so potentially a clutch drag due to non-balanced flywheel.

With regards the Fidanza now, has anyone tried it or similar lightweight flywheels? Im so worried about that rattling noise (10s of videos in Youtube about it) :/