Well quite, @Twigman. Sport mode allows barely any slip before it intervenes. I drive with everything off all the time. I could understand it more if people were doing that. But really it's clumsy application of throttle before you are out of the corner. Old Primacy tyres won't help of course. I'd need to be a hooligan to move mine in the wet on PS4's. 

17 minutes ago, Lauren said:

I drive with everything off all the time.

Is that doing the mystery pedal dance? I've never committed that to memory.

18 minutes ago, Lauren said:

it's clumsy application of throttle before you are out of the corner.

I suspect my many years riding my Fireblade has taught me throttle sensitivity and it just translates to the smooth way i drive a car

2 hours ago, Twigman said:

Is that doing the mystery pedal dance? I've never committed that to memory.

No, don't bother with that, just press the button for three seconds. It allows you to slide about all you want and no point disabling the ABS for the road. Something I really noticed in the last sprint at Blyton Park where it was wet all day, is that I couldn't floor it out of corners like I could in the dry. I had to ease the throttle down to get a clean getaway on the exit of the tight corners that were in second gear. Flooring it meant sideways and time lost. 

13 minutes ago, Lauren said:

No, don't bother with that, just press the button for three seconds.

Oh yeah - I do that every time I get in the car too.....it still says 'VSC Sport' on the dash though as well as TRC Off :)

And I have to really want it to unstick for it to unstick.....god knows what all these folk who have 'moments' do. Do they just ram their right foot into the firewall?

I admit I do treat the throttle gently......coming from bikes it's natural - a handful of right hand will have you in slide, grip, tossed over the high side territory in no time.

1 minute ago, Angelina said:

Beware if you use black circles for tyres as they can be up to 5 years old as they do not rotate stock emoji51.png.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've bought 2 sets from them in recent months. My Michelin PS4s were manufactured the month before I bought them. My Dunlop WinterSport5s which I bought last month (yet to be used) were manufactured wk29 2018 so are 'last years' stock.....

Just now, Twigman said:

I've bought 2 sets from them in recent months. My Michelin PS4s were manufactured the month before I bought them. My Dunlop WinterSport5s which I bought last month (yet to be used) were manufactured wk29 2018 so are 'last years' stock.....

I got 2 a couple of months ago, had a new code , the second one from Early 2018. I questioned them about it, that’s when l learnt that they can be up to 5 years old. Usually use protyre, they’re tyres are always less than a year old, mostly much newer 👍

On 10/21/2019 at 2:41 PM, NJay said:

Out of curiosity I've just checked mine and three of them are 5214 (the 4th is 0115 indicating replacement early in it's life)

So manufactured 1 week apart? Could even be 3 from Friday and 1 from Monday - I'd wager they're a set that all went on together.

BTW, imho not worth to put THAT much importance on manufacturing date. Recall seeing one video/test of tires, where there were little to no difference between recently manufactured and three year old ones. From that i gather that unless some manufacturer regularly makes different manufacturing enhancements/changes in same model of tire without changing it's name, there is little "time wear" in simply stored tire (in right conditions in warehouse of course, as afaik there should be specific temp / humidity / no direct sunlight / precipitation), and that most wear by time comes from actual use/rubber wear/special additives to rubber to reach specific properties dissipating/heat cycling (especially if tracked, where it's not that hard to overheat tires) and so on.

Unfortunately didn't bookmark that video, but will try to find again, and if will succeed, will add link to it.

EDIT couldn't find it, but possibly it simply referred michelin studies/campaign to debunk importance of manufacturing date myth, eg. as mentioned here. One year of use in one of studies was like 10 years of storing in way of rubber compound degradation. Or what i recalled, that there was little to no difference between new/recent and new/3yo in another. So while yes, market is such that while most tire buyers try to get most recently manufactured tires they can, there is little objective reason to do so (if tire is properly stored), so one might even use that to advantage and get sweet deals of "new/old" tires manufactured year or two ago and of tires from "inventory cleaning" off season.

Lauren: no probs if so, after all it was always my policy too, to change tires depending on wear level or three years (on car), whichever arrives sooner.

.. except after buying this car and finding out joys of trackdays no tires lasted on mine that long :D

2 hours ago, Lauren said:

No, don't bother with that, just press the button for three seconds. It allows you to slide about all you want and no point disabling the ABS for the road. Something I really noticed in the last sprint at Blyton Park where it was wet all day, is that I couldn't floor it out of corners like I could in the dry. I had to ease the throttle down to get a clean getaway on the exit of the tight corners that were in second gear. Flooring it meant sideways and time lost. 

I just drove home and pressed the TRC button for longer than usual and the VSC light went out! Well I never! 5 years and that was the first time. Gave it sone welly on the way home coming off roundabouts...not a twitch! I wonder if it’ll rain before my car goes in for repair? I’m quite looking forward to it raining now!

Twigman: TRC off = for winter shortterm disabling of TRC to ease taking off on ice, autoreengages reaching some speed (don't remember which). VSC sport = most nannies still on, except VSC now allows some slip angle before engaging, and a bit more tire spinning on start (on MY2017 replaced with "track mode", that allows wider slip angle and engages in less abrupt manner), one i prefer to drive at on public roads or on unknown track in wet. TRC 3sec off = VSC off, from nannies still on ABS, EBD, e-diff. Pedal dance procedure = only basic ABS on. ABS fuse removed = all nannies off, see no sense to use unless one does competitive rallying on loose surfaces like gravel/snow :).

+ on AT "snow mode", IIRC starts going in 2nd, to lessen torque at wheels.

@Twigman

7 hours ago, Twigman said:

I have been mildly disappointed at the LACK of tail happiness of the 86. Perhaps I need to get an old 911?

My Triumph Spitfire, with its 80 odd bhp and dodgy tranverse leaf spring rear suspension was far more tail happy.

I find you really have to be trying to break traction to actually get the back out. I drive in 'VSC Sport' mode all the time and even then I have to really try to get the back out (even when I had the Primacy HPs on). And I don't hang around.

I am bemused by the many posts I see from people 'complaining' that they're caught unawares by the back end suddenly snapping out? How people? How?

get a set of cheap tyres (from Asia /China/ for example). They cost 30quid per whell, and you are sorted for happy tail wagging :) At least thats what I did and it worked great.

22 hours ago, Twigman said:

So manufactured 1 week apart? Could even be 3 from Friday and 1 from Monday - I'd wager they're a set that all went on together.

Yes I thought that after I posted. 

As to suggestions by a few on this thread as ramming my foot through the firewall. Nope this was doing no more than 1500rpm in 3rd gear and increasing the throttle (hardly a high torque situation given gearing and rpm at the time). Never been an on/off throttle driver :)

I have only had the flashing light on the car alerting me to slippage a few times in the two years of ownership as I can feel the back end twitch well before the car feels it needs to intervene in any way. 

This is more a case of having to feed the power in carefully as I go to exit the roundabout as the gt86's limit of traction is much lower in the wet than any cars I have access to currently and so i have to go around the roundabout much slower which is embarrassing lol. Put it this way I reckon I could actually get the car to under steer if I went around it at the speed I could in the other two cars which is why I think it is the tyres at fault here for the reasons given i.e. they've hardened up with age being original ones from factory

For me old tyres aren't an issue anymore. About 20 years ago they put old rubber under my Mercedes E280. Since then I always have my tyres changed in Germany at Vergölst's. They're big and apparently do know what quality is.

Maybe you're used to cars that understeer? There's not much safety net on the 86 so if you've got a lot of lock on, small prod of the throttle will tighten the line nicely.

Many cars understeer. My Lexuses did, as did my Prius (a lot). Even the GT86 starts slightly understeering, until some power is being directed to the rear, as experienced. 😉

I did some quick calculations regarding width versus circumference. I wonder what alternative tyre sizes are being used.

I find that my 17 x 8 wheels with 225 PS4s give a great deal more grip than the awful Primacies, but not so much that I can't feel it respond to the throttle in cornering.  Even more so now that I have the supercharger.  I can't help feeling that 9 or 9.5 width wheels would dull the car too much.

I have Hankook Ventus V12 Evo 2 in stock size, they're a lot, lot more confidence inspiring than Primacies.

Downside is you do have to give it some to break traction.

Sent from my VFD 710 using Tapatalk

Hankook V12's. Those tyres aren't expensive at all. Would be great if they offer a little extra confidence for the public road.