Daninplymouth

Flex A settings

Hi, after recently getting my Flex As fitted I had a little fiddle with the dampening settings and wondered what most other people have them set at for road use. I tried 6 back from full hard and that felt quite firm so have gone to 8 at each end but due to the weather we have at the minute haven’t had a chance to have a proper drive.

also is it common to have them a click or 2 softer at the rear?

For daily use I run mine at 5 clicks from full stiff(front & rear), after alot of trial and error I found it gave the best sporty ride without sacrificing too much comfort. 

I am the same more or less as Will. Think I am 6 from full stiff. Served me well on the road and around the nurburgring. Stiffen them up sometimes for UK trackdays.

When I first fitted them I had them fully soft and they were horrible and bouncy :blink:

I hear people say there is 16 clicks of adjustment but I can click mine 32 times?

I use 14 from full stuff on road and play on track but start at 8 front and 6 rear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, sam534 said:

I hear people say there is 16 clicks of adjustment but I can click mine 32 times?

I use 14 from full stuff on road and play on track but start at 8 front and 6 rear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are 32 clicks but only 16 make any difference. 

1 minute ago, Deacon said:

There are 32 clicks but only 16 make any difference. 

This and tein advise not to go over the 16 clicks. It’s due to them using the same needle adjuster across the range and other shocks have up to 32 clicks of adjustment but the flex A’s you only have 16

1 hour ago, sam534 said:

Right, so the first 16 clicks from full stiff actually do anything?

Sent from my COL-L29 using Tapatalk

Most 'normal' coilovers will have a curve something like the diagram below. Lots will list 32 clicks of adjustment as a selling point but only 16 will actually do anything and there'll be a considerable ramping up over the last few clicks (sketch is exaggerated). Screenshot_20191016-222950__01.thumb.jpg.10b826ed89bf39c8f8af1524faad90c9.jpg

Expensive coilovers will tend to only list about 16 clicks but everyone will have a very noticeable effect and be much more linear (like the sketch below) 

Screenshot_20191016-223517__01.thumb.jpg.b941396bbacbe8f3b14091321bc34466.jpg

This is what tricked my when I set them up. Turned them all the way anticlockwise thinking that was fully soft and then went up 8 clicks. Which in reality does nothing.

After reading online and finding out you should set them fully stiff and count back from there they have been spot on :D

Fitted Flex A’s a year or so ago and just out of interest I had them dyno’d. See curve below. From memory compression is below the horizontal axis. Referring to those three curves;

Bottom : full Hard

Middle : hard minus 10 clicks

Top :Full soft

So you have a non linear progression as per Deacons post above. This also bears out other posters ( and my own) experience that hard minus 10 is very bouncy because the damping at that setting is well on the way to full soft.

Sorry for the crumby photo but hope it helps. 

F2965D8D-F211-4E53-9ED0-9682C15E030A.jpeg

Are Flex A's considered the best daily use coilover? Would like to get some one day in conjunction with LCA's to keep the alignment correct?

I don't do many track days and I prefer driving down B roads more than anything.

22 minutes ago, SnapSh0ts said:

Are Flex A's considered the best daily use coilover? Would like to get some one day in conjunction with LCA's to keep the alignment correct?

I don't do many track days and I prefer driving down B roads more than anything.

Yes - Flex A's would suit you very well