CherryBomb

Meguiar's Foam ruined my car

I don't have access to a hosepipe, nor the space to store a machine to properly spray foam onto my car, so I bought a pump bottle sprayer, using the correct ratio of 1-5 as indicated in the instructions on the foam. I knew it wouldn't be the same, but figured at least I could spray the foam on there. Well, it really didn't foam up at all, it just came out in a fine mist, but I figured it was ok. It didn't really coat the car thickly as it should. It just sort of dripped. So, I let it sit for about 10 minutes then rinsed it off with a jet wash (there is one at a Sainsbury's near me).

The effect was that it left streaky/veiny marks in my paint and the black bits. I rinsed it again, and wiped it down with Meguiar's Detailer spray and a good microfibre, but the marks are still there. They do seem to have faded on the body, except for the door handles, but the black parts, especially on the wing mirrors are ruined. I'm rather pissed off, needless to say.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Is there any way to rectify this or is it a lost cause?

Got any photos? If it's the pink meguiars foam I think you're suppose to wet the car completely first to try spray dirt off before using it. Anyhow I've always found this to be the best result to wash twice rather than spraying foam then rinsing and drying as all the grit is still present.

Think photos would be good to get an idea of what's going on

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

13 minutes ago, matrixprotein said:

Got any photos? If it's the pink meguiars foam I think you're suppose to wet the car completely first to try spray dirt off before using it. Anyhow I've always found this to be the best result to wash twice rather than spraying foam then rinsing and drying as all the grit is still present.

Think photos would be good to get an idea of what's going on

Yeah, I did rinse it off first. It was still wet when I applied the foam.

5 minutes ago, Stutopia said:

Was the foam still dripping off when you rinsed, or was it stationary and evaporating off?

Well, it had started evaporating, actually, because I had to wait for someone to finish with their car.

43 minutes ago, CherryBomb said:

Well, it had started evaporating, actually, because I had to wait for someone to finish with their car.

So you applied it using a method that is not as recommended, and then even though it didn't foam due to incorrect application you then let it partly evaporate on your car, and then you came online and entitled your post "Meguiars foam ruined my car"?

It won't be ruined, it'll clean/polish off, but this post is unfair to the company.

32 minutes ago, Adamd said:

So you applied it using a method that is not as recommended, and then even though it didn't foam due to incorrect application you then let it partly evaporate on your car, and then you came online and entitled your post "Meguiars foam ruined my car"?

It won't be ruined, it'll clean/polish off, but this post is unfair to the company.

Fair enough, though I wasn't necessarily blaming them. I did say that I used a hand pump sprayer, etc. Do you have any suggestions how to fix the problem? Should I just wash it as normal, or use some special cleaner?

I don't think this was the op intention. I think they just want their car back to normal or how it was before this happened.

Wouldn't know what to do personally as this never happened to me. I know some people like using auto finesse iron out to remove contaminants from body work but I've never done this myself.

I think you're basically looking at streaky drying with extra sauce on the lacquer. It might just need a regular water wash and dry to get rid of it. Going in heavy-handed might backfire, so take your time trying to rectify things.

You could have a go at it with a clay bar if the easy approaches don't move it. Claying the whole car takes bloomin' ages and you have to start with a freshly washed car, but the result is pleasing once the car has years of road grime coating the paint - the surface feels glassy smooth again. It takes wax off too, so you need more time to properly finish the car.

I've seen plenty of cleaning products say to just use more product if it dries as it's the best thing to "wet" it again and then you can easily wash it off. Might be worth a try?

Anything you do try though, I'd try somewhere less obvious as a small test patch, if it gets the marks off, do the rest of the car, if not, you've not really lost much.

1 hour ago, CherryBomb said:

Fair enough, though I wasn't necessarily blaming them. I did say that I used a hand pump sprayer, etc. Do you have any suggestions how to fix the problem? Should I just wash it as normal, or use some special cleaner?

Nothing to lose by washing it as normal - chances are that's all it needs.

Typically when I’ve let a product get too dry to work with, I’ve reapplied the same product, left it for a very short time to “reactivate” it and then buffed/rinsed it away. Obviously there are situations where that won’t apply, like ceramics.

If it were me, I’d try a normal two bucket wash, ideally with a decon shampoo, or a regular one with a higher than usual product:water ratio.

Failing that, I’d snow foam it with the same product but following the manufacturers recommendation this time (so you’ll need a favour from someone with a PW and a foam gun).

I’d be surprised if you’ve got anything more than a stain (as opposed to actual damage), just a matter of finding the right chemical to shift it. As always, least aggressive method first, in small test areas.

Obviously, your results may vary, this is what I would do on my car, what you should do is down to you. Call a professional detailer if you are unsure.

Simply...

Wash normally with a good quality car shampoo.

If there are still marks use Autoglym Super resin polish (or an equivalent polish,but not just a wax) and that should restore the finish.

I wouldn't say the car is ruined as it will just be product residue. 

Try a good thorough wash first, paying careful attention to the affected spots. If that doesn't work, use something like Just the Tonic from AutoBrite to remove any product residue (and any other products) from the paintwork, you'd then need to seal it some way afterwards. 

Sounds like water marks, residue from where it has dried on the paint. Will have bonded on/calcium deposits etc. Shouldn't be any permanent damage.

Hopefully will come off with a good wash. Failing that a light go over with something like super resin polish as mentioned above should do the trick. Wont need anything too abrasive.

As for a pump sprayer I use one with some citrus pre-wash on mine and then rinse off before going at it with the normal contact wash. However it is important that it does not dry on the car otherwise you will have problems like you have experienced. Personally I find a good pre-wash as good as a foam.