Twigman

Air-Con gas

Eek. Whenever i look at that sticker and see R1234yf, i can only let out heavy sight. It was for not that much of production time, and not that long after manufacturing date of mine reverted to cheaper, but i didn't luckied out :(

I've just realised though...my bonnet was replaced in an insurance thing and I'm wondering if the insurance repairer will have replaced the correct sticker.

The sticker looks pretty new.

My car is March 14

48 minutes ago, Twigman said:

I've just realised though...my bonnet was replaced in an insurance thing and I'm wondering if the insurance repairer will have replaced the correct sticker.

The sticker looks pretty new.

My car is March 14

The filling ports are different for the two gasses, so they cannot put the wrong gas in. Take it to a garage and have them check

5 minutes ago, Rich196 said:

The filling ports are different for the two gasses, so they cannot put the wrong gas in.

That's good to know - thanks

5 hours ago, Twigman said:

So it says R-134a - that's the cheaper gas isn't it? 

It was but now may well be more expensive while the other one is getting a lot cheaper about the same as what R134A was. So YMMV. 

R134A was only used fleetingly in the GT86 around 2013-14, for about six months. Everything beyond that and before that if you have a 2012 build will be  R1234YF.  A new bonnet would not come with a sticker, so it can only be the original one unless it was a second hand bonnet? 

4 hours ago, Church said:

Eek. Whenever i look at that sticker and see R1234yf, i can only let out heavy sight. It was for not that much of production time, and not that long after manufacturing date of mine reverted to cheaper, but i didn't luckied out :(

You lucked in as pretty much every car has used R1234yf for a fair few years now so it will be getting cheaper than R134A as the price of that goes up. 

Lauren: aren't you mistaken? AFAIK R134A is classic cheap AC gas, that was before, and was after, and is plentiful in most shops alongside hardware for it's refills, and R1234yf very expensive eco AC gas.

Before, because of EU new regulation for manufacturers, and after, because EU dropped that requirement, and thus all manufacturers were happy to revert.

- so for that brief timeframe it was R1234YF, not R134A. Unfortunately after one front end incident which damaged also AC heat exchanger and thus leaked it out, i found out in first person about wonderful pricing of R1234YF refills 😕

All new cars for the last maybe 2 years are back to R1234yf now, so its becoming increasingly more common. I got mine done at the local dealer for £70 a month or so ago!

For new ones eco gas is back? Didn't know that. And price quoted seems sensible (was it for full fill or slight topping up though?). After all refill for me back then was 400eur 😕

2 minutes ago, Church said:

For new ones eco gas is back? Didn't know that. And price quoted seems sensible (was it for full fill or slight topping up though?). After all refill for me back then was 400eur 😕

Yeh its back. That was to fill it from empty, I had to change the condenser due to a leak so I know there was nothing in it.

9 hours ago, Church said:

It was expensive a few years ago, but R1234yf is not expensive now. 

On 10/4/2019 at 6:30 PM, Lauren said:

A new bonnet would not come with a sticker, so it can only be the original one unless it was a second hand bonnet? 

Would they have not fitted a sticker as surely that will be a part on the list? The sticker looks 'new'.

9 hours ago, Twigman said:

Would they have not fitted a sticker as surely that will be a part on the list? The sticker looks 'new'.

Well, yes, maybe they ordered a new sticker when they ordered the new bonnet. Fair point.