Twigman

Taking off private plate question

I have a private plate which has been on the car since it was first registered.

If I want to take the plate off the car and hold it on retention, how do I get an appropriate plate assigned to the car?

What's the process? It's the only plate the car's ever had - if that makes any difference.

Is normally pretty straight forward, pay the fee and do it all online. They will then assign a new reg to the vehicle and provide you with docs to get plates etc made up

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, Badger said:

Is normally pretty straight forward, pay the fee and do it all online. They will then assign a new reg to the vehicle and provide you with docs to get plates etc made up

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

Correct, it's easy online.

Follow the steps and pay the fee and within a week or so you will get a retention cert in the post and also a replacement V5 containing the new reg that they have allocated to the car.

As above, if you do it online it'll sort everything out for you. You'll just get a new V5 with the normal registration plates (whatever they choose)

28 minutes ago, Test Drives Unlimited said:

You will probably find a number plate was assigned to your car as it was registered even though you put a private plate on the car from the word go.

As far as I know it was first registered with the plate I have on it. I bought the plate before the car even arrived in UK and gave all the paperwork to the dealer before delivery. And seeing as how my plate is a 14 plate and I picked up the car on 1st march it can't have had a plate before mine or I wouldn't have been allowed to fit my plate.

Mine has a personalised plate and never had one allocated before.

I was invited to choose one from a list the dealer had .. I assume the dvla provides this ... but I just took along my registration docs about 3 weeks before handover and the plates were made up and fitted.

They will have spare 14 regs and allocate one when yours goes on retention.

As everyone has said, just do it online. I got my car new with my private plate and took it off a year or so ago when I was thinking of getting rid of the car and a new plate number was issued (didn't even put it on, paid again to put my private plate back on).