lukester

Felinicide

I need advice ... I can't stop killing cats, so I'm looking for some help with my behaviour before the authorities come knocking.

Here's some history:

JDL UEL catted manifold into Berk catted front pipe then Perrin catback. The JDL cat destroyed itself within 3 months (wonder why they only give 90 days warranty?), and the remnants of it made a mess of the Berk cat.

Now I have a Cobra catted front pipe (kept the JDL manifold with the missing cat). No problem with emissions until this year (it had been on 2 years at that point), when it took some ... creativity ... to pass.

I do maybe 10k/year, the odd trackday and have Cosworth SC. I'd like to keep the JDL manifold, rather than go back to stock.

So, I'm wondering what to do next. Anyone had just a cat in the front pipe that's lasted longer than 2 years with SC? Some options:

• Have a new cat fitted to the manifold
  • Or the Cobra
  • Try another catted front pipe
  • I see Fensport stock JDL now and they have a catted front pipe. Not sure that's worth the risk given what happened with their manifold, though the resonated option might be nice
  • The Berk never had a chance to show what it could do, so maybe give them another go, though given they are a good bit cheaper than the Cobra I'm not sure how well they'll last
  • Supersprint front pipe. Wait, how much?!

I still have the stock front pipe, so could go back to that I suppose (though the MOT place tried to put it back on to get through emissions couldn't get it to fit, which seems odd).

TIA for any help or thoughts!

Cheers

Luke.

I can't help but I'm interested in the responses.  I have a TD decat manifold and will keep the OEM catted front pipe when I have a Harrop supercharger fitted.  I also have an MOT coming in April and want it to pass without any messing around.

Aftermarket cats are pretty notorious for being cheaply built. They're often a quarter of the price of the OEM ones. Exhaust gas temperature and excessive unburnt fuel are usually to blame but cheap cats are where all the problems stem.

The SC will hammer the CAT in the manifold due to where it is. Id go catless manifold and stock front pipe, you may sacrifice a bit of power but you gain reliability not to mention keep the noise level down.

My route would be cat-less manifold and either stock or 200cell cat in the front pipe regardless of manufacturer. 

I will probably end up going the Berk route, it's not much of an investment should it be too loud.