Jay

Newbie from 22 feet below sea level

Hi,

I'm a car enthousiast from the Netherlands. Over the years I drove many interesting cars, like 3 Lexus GS430's, a Mercedes E280, an Alfa Romeo 164 V6 and a 5 cylinder Audi 90. Since there's no need for a family car anymore, I finally bought a fun car, the GT86 in the picture. It's two and a half years old and has low mileage. A great car.

MyGT86.jpg

8 hours ago, Luke said:

Welcome to the forum, are the Netherlands nice to car owners? Do you see many gt86's there?

The Netherlands is car hell. On top of VAT there's an extra car tax which rises exponentially with CO2 production. ☹️ Do they really think they can save the world or is it just another income for the state?  To my guestimation there may be around 100 GT86's on our roads. This tax is so severe that Toyota decided to discontinue the GT86 in Holland. The last price for a new GT86 was 63190 euros. The BRZ is still on sale for this horrifying price. Buying abroad doesn't change the situation, as we have to pay this stupid tax anyway.

I bought mine used, 2.5 years old, with just under 50000 km. I paid more than a German would have paid for a new one. 😥

Wow! That's crazy tax. I'm sure they put the money back into making public transport more efficient and cheaper?

Your are committed to the cause for buying the 86 when it costs so much. 

I'm not sure how the money is spent. There are too many unemployed too be fed. From our (also way to expensive) road tax only 25% gets invested in infrastructure.

Here's a link to the Dutch Subaru site: Subaru BRZ

At least your trains are worth using. Ours are more expensive than all other means of transport.

Last week I discovered regular fuel in Crete is more expensive than super in the UK. I was shocked how much money I poured into a gutless Suzuki Swift. Enjoy your excellent car while you can - the future is not pure NA drivetrains.

I know about British trains and fees. 😱 I travelled quite a few times from and to one of London's airports by train. At least your trains are on schedule. That's not the case over here. Being a car owner, who's happy to drive, I rarely travel by train; maybe once over the past twenty years.

I happen to go to the Canary islands a few times a year. Over there the petrol price is about 60% from what we pay over here.

1 hour ago, Twigman said:

€63k !!!!!!!!

WTAF?!?!?!

Yes, one has to be pretty mind sick to qualify for ruling this country.

http://www.speedhunters.com/2019/10/100-auto-live-celebrating-car-culture-netherlands/

Good article here from Speedhunters on car culture in the Netherlands. Props to you for buying one!

"The Toyota GT86 sold for €57,000 (US$63,000), but in 2018 only three examples were sold in the Netherlands, so Toyota Nederlands decided to stop selling this model. In conclusion, you really have to be a die-hard car enthusiast to buy a new sports car from a dealer here!"