MartinT

MartinT's BRZ

Good news: my MOT and AP Racing 330 front brakes are due this Friday at Abbey.
Bad news: got a horrible dent when (presumably) a branch fell on my car during the storms.  It's not terrible, on the nearside rear wheel arch, but it's enough to upset me.  This, together with my bonnet looking a mess from stone chip damage and (my) poor touch-up repairs, means a probable trip to Popo's in Basingstoke soon.

Hope the dents not too bad Martin. Are we seeing you Sunday at Blackbushe?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Gosh, Tapatalk didn't do a very good job with image reduction!

They feel great, Simon.  Things were just starting to grind upfront and I left it knowing they were going to be replaced shortly.  Apparently, PFC Z rated pads are very aggressive and I guess that's why they were effective, but my 1-year-old discs were shot!  All good, now.

The rear discs will need changing by my next service, so Abbey are ordering matching rear AP discs for next time.

Welcome to the AP racing club. You’ll enjoy the pad rattle going from forwards to reverse. But the front will really dive when you bury that pedal. Such a worthwhile mod because the brake pedal just feels so solid.

I was wondering why my iAT was high (over 50C) on recent journeys and went to top up the intercooler.  When I looked down there was a jet of coolant water streaming from the intercooler radiator 🙁

It looks like a stone puncture and I guess I’ll be needing a new radiator. I'll see what Abbey Motorsport can do.

Is that your charge cooler with a puncture? Ally can’t be welded up. I’ve just installed a makeshift mesh grill to try and prevent this from happening to mine. Hopefully it can sorted asap for you. 

Thanks, Luke.

After talking with @SimonG68 I've ordered some QuikSteel epoxy putty from Amazon.  As the radiator is junk, it's worth a shot.  The water isn't under pressure, unlike the main coolant radiator, so it might work.

I'm also thinking of installing a protective mesh afterwards.

On 6/5/2022 at 3:07 PM, MartinT said:

After talking with @SimonG68 I've ordered some QuikSteel epoxy putty from Amazon.  As the radiator is junk, it's worth a shot.

It works - at least, for now!  I don't expect it to hold but I drove to work this morning after making the repair last night and the iAT showed +15C on the motorway and +20C in town, which is what I used to see.  Checking the radiator visually on arriving, there was no wet patch.

I know I'll have to order a new one eventually but £980 + fitting is a bit eye-watering right now when I've had other big costs in the same month.

If you are looking for a grille to protect the radiator for future, the best brand is Zunsport. They make one for the First Gen..

https://www.zunsport.com/en/subaru-fr/subaru-brz-–-unterer-grill?filter=295

For the facelift, its worth asking them if they can bespoke or if the first one fits.

On another note, normally how frequently do you need to top up intercooler coolant? Assume its not a sealed unit.

On 6/8/2022 at 12:44 PM, MartinT said:

It works - at least, for now!  I don't expect it to hold but I drove to work this morning after making the repair last night and the iAT showed +15C on the motorway and +20C in town, which is what I used to see.  Checking the radiator visually on arriving, there was no wet patch.

I know I'll have to order a new one eventually but £980 + fitting is a bit eye-watering right now when I've had other big costs in the same month.

Have you got any pictures of it? you must be able to have it re-cored or a new one made for less! Thats mad!

Here's the best photo I could get.  You can see the repair with the QuikSteel putty.  It's still holding and I'm going to check coolant levels in a mo.

It's also clear that the whole radiator needs a good clean - this is two years' worth of accumulated muck.  What can I use to clean it with?

52136800612_ef1f96ecd1_o.jpg

Here's the best photo I could get.  You can see the repair with the QuikSteel putty.  It's still holding and I'm going to check coolant levels in a mo.
It's also clear that the whole radiator needs a good clean - this is two years' worth of accumulated muck.  What can I use to clean it with?

You can use a good degreaser or all purpose cleaner like Bilt Hamber surfex HD diluted down. Spray on, let it soak in, use a soft brush to agitate, and hose from the back of the rad to flush it out. And repeat.

If you can blow some air thru from the back that would help too.

Rich’s idea of having the core replaced would probably be way cheaper than buying new!

Thanks, guys.  I had the same idea and have ordered a curved jetwash nozzle so that I can try and jet it from behind, through the main coolant radiator.

I have the idea that the intercooler has, in part, saved the main radiator from accumulating a lot of the cack.

Is it still holding Martin?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

So far so good.  I tried reverse jetwashing it this evening to blow as much muck out of the front as possible.  I'll let you know if the fluid level remains constant this week.  None lost at all last week.

I think more muck was blown out as today it ran at no higher than iAT - ambient = 15C.
I'll check the coolant level on Saturday.
What were the IAT difference before the clean Martin?

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

Normal working from when it was new varied from +15C at speed to just above +20C when in traffic.

So far, still no leaks and it's holding at good iAT on these warm days.  I can feel that acceleration under boost is pulling well.