MartinT

MartinT's BRZ

On 8/8/2021 at 11:36 AM, MartinT said:

I see this in my hi-fi forum a lot. "internet wisdom" appears to consist largely of people expressing opinions when they have no experience of the product!

You mean like people who have never even sat in a GT86 yet have the opinion that not only are they slow, but Toyota and Subaru should have fitted a turbo and it's the end of the world that they didn't.

Even though said people have no more interest in an impractical two seat coupe than I have of buying a VW Golf.

Yes, exactly that.  People who also think that power is the only important number and then tell me that some uninspiring hatch-box is better because it has more power.

If I wanted a hatch-box I could leave my appreciation of beauty behind and buy any one of 30 different models most of which look the same.

There is only one 86/BRZ and we know why we drive them.

On 8/6/2021 at 9:10 AM, Subota Boy said:

This is all very interesting, especially to me as I have the smaller pulley waiting to be fitted.  I just have to be brave!  Matt said that his map (specific for my car)  would happily adjust to the smaller pulley, but that I was using up the safety margin built in and should not take it on track or "dump the clutch" too often in a short space of time.  

Thanks to Martin for accommodating all this specific chat on his thread.

For interest:

A recent comment from Matt at Cosworth regarding the use of the Cosworth smaller pulley - and I quote:

"when developing the kit I had the use of cylinder pressure measurement so this gave a real-time measurement of how much stress the rod and piston was under and the stock pulley was arrived at to give a healthy 10% safety margin from where the theoretical limit of the rod is
the smaller pulley bumps up the cylinder pressure to just below this limit but not beyond
to my knowledge those whom are running the smaller pulley have had no issues to date"

On 8/27/2021 at 1:11 PM, MartinT said:

Yes, exactly that.  People who also think that power is the only important number and then tell me that some uninspiring hatch-box is better because it has more power.

If I wanted a hatch-box I could leave my appreciation of beauty behind and buy any one of 30 different models most of which look the same.

There is only one 86/BRZ and we know why we drive them.

This resonates with me, in all my years buying and driving cars, the aesthetics/beauty has been very important, as such, I've always bought sports cars. 

Hatchbacks hold no interest for me, the GT86 is pretty much the perfect car for my needs :)

I guess I'm settling into the groove of my 40-mile commute down the M3 and trying to 'make progress' without driving like a moron.
My mileage has just reached a new peak of 32.5mpg.  Not bad with a Harrop on board.
That's good to hear. Just for my simple brain, do you track the fuel full to warning light on trip and note how many miles it goes? Is it around 250 - 300 miles?

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

Since I moved house, my weekly car miles have  really plummeted, so I would say a higher percentage of my driving time is driving "with enthusiasm"... and yet, strangely,  my average mpg is also showing 32.5 mpg. I wonder if Mark somehow pegs the computer at that, just to make us feel better about the blower! :lol:

36 minutes ago, cliddell said:

Since I moved house, my weekly car miles have  really plummeted, so I would say a higher percentage of my driving time is driving "with enthusiasm"... and yet, strangely,  my average mpg is also showing 32.5 mpg. I wonder if Mark somehow pegs the computer at that, just to make us feel better about the blower! :lol:

My car is NA and I average 24.5MPG and that’s including my daily commute to work 

22 minutes ago, MartinT said:

Stock map or tuned?

Sent from my Oppo X3 using Tapatalk

Tuning Developments NA Tune, I’m not saying it’s their fault though I 100% know I drive aggressively 

2 hours ago, Jay Bamrah said:

Tuning Developments NA Tune, I’m not saying it’s their fault though I 100% know I drive aggressively 

When driven aggressively the mpg really drops on these. 
Just been using mine for fun and short trips and have averaged about 20mpg. Whereas a short gentle commute gets it to 30 and motorway is 35-40. That’s turbo with a shorter final drive

50 minutes ago, MartinT said:

If I drove to reach that left of economy I would lose my licence very quickly.

I need my job!

Hahaha I work in the motor trade I need my licence to work. But yeah I would lose my licence if caught im sure

59 minutes ago, MartinT said:

It's not as if I'm slow, I often give it the beans but not all the time!

Sent from my Oppo X3 using Tapatalk

My car doesn’t even get hot on journey to work as I work so close to home this could play a role also

I asked Scott at Abbey Motorsport about a slight amount of forward/backward lurching when laying down power, thinking it might be the engine damping.  He recommended a set of TRD engine mounts.

Does anyone have any experience of them?  I'd like to dampen the engine a bit without getting too much NVH through into the cabin.  Remember, this is my daily driver.

1 hour ago, MartinT said:

I asked Scott at Abbey Motorsport about a slight amount of forward/backward lurching when laying down power, thinking it might be the engine damping.  He recommended a set of TRD engine mounts.

Does anyone have any experience of them?  I'd like to dampen the engine a bit without getting too much NVH through into the cabin.  Remember, this is my daily driver.

@will300has the sti ones which are very similar 

You wont get any increase in NVH with the STi or TRD engine mounts, as these are similar to the OEM design, just using a firmer rubber.

I'd avoid the Perrin and Cusco ones as they are predominately made from metal and are known to increase the NVH.

I have the Perrin v2 engine mounts. I had my idle speed increased to 900rpm by the installers (TD) on their recommendation as they said at stock idle the vibration was brutal. At 900 I don't notice any other vibrations but they've been on for a while so I might just be used to it.

On 10/30/2021 at 9:32 PM, MartinT said:

Just to back up what others have said, I also have the STI engine mounts, after Will recommended them to me, but they appear to be the same as the TRD ones. There's no extra noise or vibration at all, but it solved the issue I was having with some over pipe contact on acceleration sometimes.

After doing the engine mounts, I tried running with a Superpro transmission insert in the transmission mount. This made the shifting feel nicer, and it did the most for getting rid of that lurch you're describing. However, it did introduce a fair amount of NVH - not terrible, mainly gear whine, but more than I'd like for daily driving. 

So I removed the insert and instead swapped the entire transmission mount for a TRD version - which again, appears to be the same as the STI mount, just sold by Toyota. This has all the advantages of the transmission insert, but it's nowhere near as noisy; it is a little more noisy than stock, but it's in no way intrusive, and only at idle. Once you're on the move, any extra noise is masked by normal road/wind/exhaust noise and the radio.

So my advice would be to replace all three of the mounts (engine left/right and the transmission) for the best improvement, as they certainly make the car feel more taught. 

Thanks - I discussed it with Scott earlier and have ordered all three TRD mounts.  The STI mounts are the same, but more expensive.

I do have the MTech gearbox inserts and they do make it feel slick.  There is a small amount of whine in the lower gears but not 5th/6th, which is fine.

70k service next week at Abbey.  They will be installing the STi/TRD engine and gearbox mounts and, hopefully, that will tighten up response.  Ride quality on the Bilsteins is firm but pretty good, only getting choppy on bad surfaces.  The handling is perfectly set for road use for me, where the 80-mile daily commute keeps my mods sensible.

I swear performance has crept up of late, although it could just be the cold winter air.  Perhaps the Sainsburys Super formula has improved, a necessity of filling up twice a week.  Mileage has improved further to 32.9mpg.

I still love this car, and believe me that commute really tests my patience with any car.

It's always nice to catch up with Scott and quaff their nice coffee, too.