MartinT

MartinT's BRZ

They came up really well and the rotors looks great when there new. The brakes feel so much better when you change out the oem pads, discs and fluid. 

Job's all done. Filthy weather for working on the car. Will go for a longer test drive to bed in all the pads. Seems good so far.

EDIT: test drive went well, bedded in the pads and there is no squealing or grinding.  Went down a soaked M3 and the water dispersion of these discs is good.

Sent from my LG-G7 using Tapatalk

Recap: the car so far...

Subaru BRZ 2.0SE Lux 2017 (ex demonstrator)
Harrop supercharger
HKS intake duct
Rogue Motorsport EL manifold
Tuning Developments full exhaust with super resonator
ECUTeK tune
H&R Super Sport springs
Rotor-Discs 294mm vented/slotted/drilled front discs with PFC Z rated pads
Cosworth Streetmaster rear pads
Subaru STI front lip & HT Autos rear spats
XXR 527 18 x 8.75 ET35 wheels with Avon ZZ5 235/40 tyres
Eonon GA2186 7" Android head unit
Focal door speakers & Subaru top dash midrange speakers

Coming soon...

Bilstein B8 dampers
SuperPro lower rear arms with poly bushes all round
Whiteline Front anti-roll bar drop links & Rear anti-roll bar links
Michelin Pilot Sport 4 235/40 tyres

Finishing touch.  I decided I prefer black-and-silver roundels that match my car better than the full colour ones, so I went back to the Portuguese vendor on eBay who makes such excellent metal ones in every size to fit every wheel cap you can imagine.

s-l1600.jpg

All brake pads and front discs (I had another think and decided to do the discs at the same time) have now arrived.  Just waiting for brake cleaner, lubricant and thread lock to arrive and can hopefully do the work this Saturday.
Can anyone confirm that the OEM 294mm brake discs weigh 7.7kg?  They do according to Brembo but I can't find any other information on them.  My replacement slotted & drilled discs also weigh 7.7kg.
I got new discs EBC OE replacement 6.9 kg each. Hope that helps with some baseline. Not sure of the OE ones but once I get them removed I can try and weigh. 20201103_152903.jpg

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Thanks, that's helpful.  I'm pretty sure OEM is 7.7kg now.

I did look at EBC but I particularly wanted slots for water dispersal.

I must say that I'm very pleased with the braking ability now.  It's the Avons that let the side down - they're going next week.

I am going for the same front rear pads combo as you. Just the discs are OE replacement and black to avoid showing through wheels. Did not go slotted , vented as they were very expensive and I could not justify cost vs value in my head.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Tyres done - a nice set of 235/40 R18 Michelin PS4s now installed.  Oh, and my TPMS sensors are back in the main wheels.  I could immediately feel both the enhanced grip and better ride quality - it's nice to be back on PS4s.

ProTyre said they're not busy at the moment (and didn't baulk at reworking 8 wheels for me).  If anyone wants a code for £20 off a set of four, PM me and I'll send it to you.

I’m yet to try these tyres and the only negative is that they provide too much traction for some.

Do you know if these TPMS valves have replaceable batteries?

31 minutes ago, Luke said:

I’m yet to try these tyres and the only negative is that they provide too much traction for some.

Do you know if these TPMS valves have replaceable batteries?

I don't see 'too much traction' as being in any way negative!

I don't think any of them do, Luke.  Mine are programmable replacement ones provided by ProTyre and the batteries are stated as having a 5 year life.

How have you found the feedback from the new brake pads so far? I need a new set of pads all round and I’m considering the same setup as yours. Already have the PFC z front waiting to go on but I wonder what the cosworth on the rear are like? Do they squeal at all?

53 minutes ago, Shippers said:

Yes, I'm in a similar position of needing new pads all round soon. I was going to go down the Ferrodo DS2500 route but open to good suggestions 😀

Yes I’m thinking DS2500 are the better rear option however I’m hoping someone has a cheaper silver bullet option. 

6 hours ago, Luke said:

How have you found the feedback from the new brake pads so far? I need a new set of pads all round and I’m considering the same setup as yours. Already have the PFC z front waiting to go on but I wonder what the cosworth on the rear are like? Do they squeal at all?

They feel really good with great stopping power and not much greater force required.  No squealing at all - I did use proper brake lube on the ends and backs.

PFC Z rated fronts, Cosworth Streetmaster rears.

It's been interesting commuting to work on the motorway these last two weeks, in damp to fully wet and cold conditions.  Dropping to 5th to overtake, I've several times heard it over-rev as traction breaks, just backing off the pedal a little to regain grip.  It's actually done it in 6th a couple of times, too.  The BRZ is incredibly stable and hasn't wagged its tail at all.  The 235/40 PS4s are very predictable, too.

Got to be careful with the supercharger sometimes!

The Bilstein B8 dampers were installed today, to accompany my existing H&R Super Sport springs.  If you wanted to do the whole shebang, you could buy the Bilstein B12 kit, which consists of B8s with Eibach lowering springs.  At the same time, lower arm Superpro poly bushes front and rear were installed, as well as Superpro lower control arms, adjustable toe controls and Whiteline anti-roll bar drop links front and rear.  It also got a full laser alignment.  By the way, I ordered the Bilsteins last October and they only just arrived this week.  Be prepared for a long wait.

Abbey did the usual superb job and threw two technicians at it, so it was all completed by early afternoon.

Ride quality is firm but fluid.  You certainly know that you're no longer on stock dampers, but at the same time it remains supple and always in control.  There is no bounce, especially over large undulations.  There is certainly no crashing or harshness.  It's just firm.  But that leads to...

Roadholding.  Goodness me, this is different!  In the damp conditions driving home, and off motorway as much as I could, the level of grip and control around bends and coming off corners and roundabouts is on a different planet.  Being able to put down a goodly amount of supercharger power and not have it scrabbling for grip is amazing.  No, I didn't sneak a set of 255s on the wheels, they're still 235 PS4s.  However, I am not used to being able to give it so much pedal so early coming off a corner.  It really is a new kind of fun.

Was it worth it?  I think so, as the investment in a good boosted setup is wasted if you don't pay as much attention to the chassis, and stopping, as it needs.

That's good to hear Martin. I'm booked in in a couple of weeks to have a B12 kit fitted (plus the geometry bits etc you've listed) so hearing your throughts is reassuring. I wasn't to worried as reviews for other cars sounded promising but it's always nice to hear from someone with the same car. 👍

My clutch has started slipping - it happens when I'm applying the beans at maximum torque and resistance, so 3500rpm in 6th.

I've had Abbey Motorsport quote me for a Stage 1 Exedy clutch installation.  Just have to sort out a date.

Is anyone here using an Exedy clutch?

11 hours ago, MartinT said:

My clutch has started slipping - it happens when I'm applying the beans at maximum torque and resistance, so 3500rpm in 6th.

I've had Abbey Motorsport quote me for a Stage 1 Exedy clutch installation.  Just have to sort out a date.

No, but let me know how you get on. I have a light weight flywheel waiting to go in, but need to settle on a clutch.

13 hours ago, MartinT said:

Wrong car I know, but I had an Exedy stage 1 fitted to my Impreza ( with a lightened flywheel) and it was a vast improvement over OEM. 

1 hour ago, MartinT said:

All booked for 17 March. Going to have to drive gently until then.

I'll let you know how it feels once done.

Out of interest, how many miles on the clutch and how many were boosted?

Mine came out at 35k miles at recal, can it had plently of life in it?

Are you going for a lightened flywheel too?