MartinT

MartinT's BRZ

That's a severe engine test - 50 hours WOT from max torque to max power and back again. Real-world driving will never reach those levels.

Mark told me he monitors cylinder pressure and maps with the O2 sensor on the rear banks, which are more prone to knock.

I'm also careful never to labour the engine at low revs.

Agree. Its the worst case scenario test and your car never hits the tracks so will not see extreme conditions and you should be safe. Matt / Cosworth himself says that there is room for more but we keep it safe for who we are. It is this over engineering and commitment to R&D that I love about Cosworth and their commitment to stand behind engine warranty with their own tune.

If you ever feel like, you are welcome to borrow my Ecutek to datalog and check if you experience knock on your daily drive.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

I've just received these bonnet struts from Amazon for the princely sum of £15.55. It took just under a month to arrive, but can't complain.

I'll let you know how it goes.  No instructions except for a couple of photos on the Amazon page!

50342606526_4f8b8e0460_o.jpg

Well, they work!  Unfortunately, the left-hand one (looking at the engine bay) slightly nadgers the bonnet closed switch, so I have to do some bracket bending.  I'm sure it'll come out fine but I've duck-taped it for the moment to stop the alarm going off.

Photos soon.

I've been researching the best brake setup for my BRZ and come to the same conclusion as advice I've received from various others: I don't need a BBK, the stock brakes are plenty fine for my road-only driving.  I then set about looking for the best brake pads I can find and have been advised that PFC Z front pads and Cosworth Streetmaster rears offer the best balance for fast road use.  They're on order and I'll fit them when I have all the parts.  I don't need new discs just yet and have time to research them when they finally need replacement.

Meanwhile, it's tyres for winter use time again.  I'm going to use my old Rota 17" wheels and buy another set of Goodyear Vector 4Seasons 225/45 as the last set I used were excellent for general winter use and getting through the snow in my lane.

When it's spring, I'll then buy a set of 235/40 Michelin Pilot Sport 4 for my 18" XXR wheels.  I'll also take the chance to transfer the TPMS sensors from my winter to my summer wheels.

All brake pads and front discs (I had another think and decided to do the discs at the same time) have now arrived.  Just waiting for brake cleaner, lubricant and thread lock to arrive and can hopefully do the work this Saturday.

Can anyone confirm that the OEM 294mm brake discs weigh 7.7kg?  They do according to Brembo but I can't find any other information on them.  My replacement slotted & drilled discs also weigh 7.7kg.

I couldn't do the rotors because, despite my being 'prepared', I realised that I had a 17mm socket with 3/8" drive and a torque wrench with 1/2" drive.  So I dared not try and break the 17mm caliper bracket bolts as I had no way of properly torquing them up to 80nm again.

Back to e-Bay, 1/2" to 3/8" adapter and 17mm 1/2" socket ordered.  I will also pop down to Halfrauds tomorrow to see if they have something useful in stock like an adapter.

Good idea. Those bolts do feel a little sketchy unless you’ve got a really good hold on them. I managed it with a breaker bar and small extension so long as you’ve got the car high enough. Apart from that the brakes are very easy to sort.

While I hope for a good day tomorrow (Saturday) to get the brake work completed, I've booked some more work and a 50k service with Abbey Motorsport.

Next on the list of goodies will be a full set of Bilstein B8 dampers, SuperPro lower arms, SuperPro front/rear bushes, Whiteline ARB front and rear drop links, HawkEye alignment. 

That should tighten up handling while still retaining driver comfort with the H&R Super Sport springs.  I certainly don't want it any lower.  I do a daily commute of 80 miles and don't track the car, so it's a case of the best real-world road performance and comfort for me.  That will be pretty much it for mods, I'm pleased with the way it's coming along.

That certainly will tighten up the chassis. Super pro should prevent you losing your teeth over a pothole as well. I would hazard a guess that your trying to get the alignment back to oem with the use of adjustable suspension arms and drop links? 

1 hour ago, Luke said:

I would hazard a guess that your trying to get the alignment back to oem with the use of adjustable suspension arms and drop links? 

Yes, exactly that.  Abbey said that the SuperPro would not cause extra NVH, so that's good news.

2 hours ago, Luke said:

Nice! Are your callipers original?

Yes, I just cleaned them up with brake cleaner (amazing stuff) and a rotary wire brush on the end of a drill.  rotor-discs vented/slotted/drilled rotors and PFC Z rated carbon metallic pads.