MartinT

MartinT's BRZ

I've just checked with Abbey Motorsport that they are go for tomorrow's Rogue EL manifold install and tune.  They had a scare with their dyno yesterday and it looked at one point that I might have to cancel.  I hope I won't miss the UEL Subie rumble too much, but the EL should give me great performance.  It looks the part, too.  Most importantly, no heat up into the engine bay.

50115741832_e732c975ca_o.jpg

I will post when complete.  Mark isn't going to relax the safeties much, though, as it's a stock engine.  I've asked him to give me all the midrange torque he dares but he is a conservative tuner and I have to respect that what he finds will be the limit for engine longevity.

Did you measure engine bay temperatures with the TD manifold?  I'd be interested to know how much of a benefit you get from switching to a shorter manifold like this (might have a reason for being curious 😉).  IIRC you don't go on track, right?

I've also noticed my manifold rubs on the tube that contains the dipstick.  When I asked about it, Mike did mention that their manifold design has altered slightly over time.

No track work.  I never measured the temperatures but I had two incidents on very hot days when I could smell burning and had to pull over.  With heat expansion, the exhaust had been rubbing against the top hose and burning the heat wrap and the hose itself.  I've already replaced the hose once and my second one is showing small signs of heat damage.  You're right about the dipstick tube, that has been rubbing and worn away the heat wrap, too.

Mark at Abbey Motorsport has done a superb job.  He has found torque across the rev range, with 284nm max but a very good relatively flat curve and smoother, too.  On the road, the car feels livelier, more willing again to rev than before and has a lot of go even in 6th on the motorway.  The noise is noticeably smoother and lower in level.  There is also nowhere near the heat in the engine bay after a spirited drive.

All in all, a very good day.

The colour coding is a bit weird: green/yellow lines are for the Rogue, red line is for the TD manifold.  Yellow flash is the new torque.

50119372548_246d624ae7_o.jpg

Look forward to seeing it on the 26th Martin.....
I’m also say to let Mark find a buyer for your old one as we spoke the other week....
Cheers for first dibs tho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

10 minutes ago, MartinT said:

Mark at Abbey Motorsport has done a superb job.  He has found torque across the rev range, with 284nm max but a very good relatively flat curve and smoother, too.  On the road, the car feels livelier, more willing again to rev than before and has a lot of go even in 6th on the motorway.  The noise is noticeably smoother and lower in level.  There is also nowhere near the heat in the engine bay after a spirited drive.

All in all, a very good day.

The colour coding is a bit weird: green/yellow lines are for the Rogue, red line is for the TD manifold.  Yellow flash is the new torque.

50119372548_246d624ae7_o.jpg

That looks like a really nice gain across the board for both torque and power 👍

Good choice of header Martin and decent increase ( circa 14 nm). I always need to remind myself Abbey has a hub dyno as am used to seeing 300+nm with SCs. A 10% correction will make it 310 on the flywheel.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, MartinT said:

As I said "the noise is noticeably smoother and lower in level".

It could just be the lack of the UEL beat, but it's definitely less raucous both inside and outside the cabin.

Interesting - wonder if the old header was vibrating against something, as you said it had signs of rubbing. Between that and the lower temps you're seeing I'll probably give Mark another call and see if he can add to my shopping list... 😂

7 minutes ago, spikyone said:

Interesting - wonder if the old header was vibrating against something, as you said it had signs of rubbing. Between that and the lower temps you're seeing I'll probably give Mark another call and see if he can add to my shopping list... 😂

I don't think it was that kind of mechanical noise - there was no resonance peak, just that off-beat of exhaust pulsing.  The supercharger definitely made it louder (that's the difference between turbos and superchargers, a turbo would make it quieter).  It was fine before, but reached a point where I was uncomfortable going through our village late at night.

I mentioned to Mark that you might be interested in a Rogue.  He said to call him if you're interested so that he can get one in time for your booking with them.

Did you ask Mark about the gains vs an ACE? I love the idea of supporting local British businesses so have preferred the Rogue. Just curious as to what the dyno would say. It clearly gives better results on rogue vs TD

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

I think it's safe to say that there will be no more power increase, smaller pulleys etc. It's my daily driver and has to remain reliable.

I'm going to really enjoy it as it is.