MartinT

MartinT's BRZ

Liking the build Martin and the tips on the dash speakers. I have some JBL p6560 2 ways and tbh it’s always sounded a bit hollow. 👍😎

Totally unrelated, how do you find the 17x8 et35 with 225 45 17 tyres - is there any rubbing? I’ve not found many on here that run with 8” wheels and this little offset. Have you still got lowering springs, and how much lower than stock are they? Did you decrease camber to avoid rubbing?

Trying to work out if new alloys I’m after will prevent me fitting coilovers later on.

Thanks

Hi Greggo

Thanks!  The wheel size and fitment are perfect - remember that the smaller ET35 offset means more poke so they are flush with the bodywork. No rubbing at all.  With 225/45 17 PS4 tyres the grip/fun balance with the supercharger is just right.  Handling is really excellent and predictable.  The H&R Super Sport lowering springs give about 30mm lowering.  I would not want to go any lower as I would be bottoming in my country lane.  Camber has all been professionally setup by Abbey Motorsport.

There would be no problem with me fitting either Tein Flex Z coilovers or Bilstein B8 dampers, the latter of which Abbey are recommending.

New 60Ah Yuasa battery arrived today. Got it installed with no problems, it's an exact size match for for the old 48Ah one and the terminals are the correct way round.

Sent from my LG-Q6 using Tapatalk

I bought a proper CTEK MXS 5.0 battery charger and installed a CTEK Indicator near the battery.  It seems to be a good system and should keep this new battery in a good state of charge.  I will drive the 40 miles to my new place of work on Monday to collect my account details and equipment and will then go back to remote working.  My car needs to stay reliable!

I am beginning to get irritated with the TD UEL manifold.  Let me explain.

The manifold has a peculiar shape that comes up into the engine bay and then goes down again.  I know that it's designed for their turbo which sits high up in the bay.  However, I went with a Harrop supercharger so there is no need for it.  That would be fine if it wasn't for the huge amount of heat it brings into the bay, and worse still, the incredibly close brush with the top water hose.  I have re-wrapped the exhaust three times and the water hose twice (Abbey also did it during the service) and, no matter how much I twist the hose to increase the gap, there is rubbing and eventually it wears the wrapping away causing contact and smoke.  I've reached the point where I've had enough of it - it's a serious point of weakness in an otherwise strong car.

So, the question is: what other catless UEL manifold could I buy that gives the same or better performance, to replace the TD with?  Preferably with a ceramic coating option.  Will it be a straight swap?  A remap is not a problem.

2 minutes ago, MartinT said:

I am beginning to get irritated with the TD UEL manifold.  Let me explain.

The manifold has a peculiar shape that comes up into the engine bay and then goes down again.  I know that it's designed for their turbo which sits high up in the bay.  However, I went with a Harrop supercharger so there is no need for it.  That would be fine if it wasn't for the huge amount of heat it brings into the bay, and worse still, the incredibly close brush with the top water hose.  I have re-wrapped the exhaust three times and the water hose twice (Abbey also did it during the service) and, no matter how much I twist the hose to increase the gap, there is rubbing and eventually it wears the wrapping away causing contact and smoke.  I've reached the point where I've had enough of it - it's a serious point of weakness in an otherwise strong car.

So, the question is: what other catless UEL manifold could I buy that gives the same or better performance, to replace the TD with?  Preferably with a ceramic coating option.  Will it be a straight swap?  A remap is not a problem.

Rogue Motorsport. 

The Rogue or Ace look very interesting.

I think I've just suffered from a tolerance issue with my TD.  I've looked at other cars and they have maybe 1cm or more clearance, I have a couple of mm at most.  However, I'm not saying there is anything wrong with the TD, I just don't want all that heat around.  Remember that my supercharger generates more heat already and I haven't run it in the full summer yet.

Yeah it’s an unfortunate quirk of the TD manifold, a few mm in any given direction and that loop pipe gets close to something. In my case I had to grind off a couple of mm on the flange as it was too close to the crank pulley to get the auxiliary belt in/out. 

On the subject of issues with auxiliary belts, cheers for the comments/reviews on the Harrop kit. Seeing how you’d faired with yours helped convince me to take the plunge. 👍

I wouldve thought with your harrop kit, you wouldnt feel much difference switching to another uel manifold as the uel is designed to kill the torque dip which your harrop already does.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

One of the reasons was heat that I went back to standard and for sure there is a reason for all the heat shielding engineering in the OE otherwise they would've saved some money not putting it.
The other more important one was emissions and hassle free MOT.

Rogue, sensibly priced (or Ace, if you want the best) are your options which do not have the up and over. You will need to find someone to ceramic coat here unless you get it from FT86speedfactory who can do it and send to you , I believe.

I have the ECUTEK pro if you want to remote map and can get Matt to send you new map.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Not sure Martin, but I’d be interested in having your TD Manifold if you change it.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
If you want a TD EL Simon, I have one up for sale. PM me if interested , please.

Rogue, sensibly priced (or Ace, if you want the best) are your options which do not have the up and over. You will need to find someone to ceramic coat here unless you get it from FT86speedfactory who can do it and send to you , I believe. 

I have the ECUTEK pro if you want to remote map and can get Matt to send you new map.

Thanks, I've asked Abbey what they supply (think they do Ace) and I would have them fit and remap it as I had the Harrop installed by them. 

Thanks, I've asked Abbey what they supply (think they do Ace) and I would have them fit and remap it as I had the Harrop installed by them.
Abbey do ace Yes. Give or take with ex rate against dollar , a supply only charge will be 1500 and Ace is EL only. You could ask Rogue to ship you a UEL I believe and its cheaper and get Mark at Abbey to fit and tune it for you . Savings all round and potential for boxer burble.

4 hours ago, matrixprotein said:

I wouldve thought with your harrop kit, you wouldnt feel much difference switching to another uel manifold as the uel is designed to kill the torque dip which your harrop already does.

This.... When boosted you do get the advantages of better manifolds, but from what I've seen a mid-range manifold won't sacrifice you that much power. I'd say max it's 10bhp/lb.ft, less than that vs the TD (which I still class as a upper-mid system). So that means you can get better value for money, or probably free vs the sale of the TD one. Options are: Cobra (doesn't look UEL but is classed as), HKS and Tomei to name a few, or some USA offerings. 

I've spoken to Rogue and Abbey and the outcome is that Abbey are ordering me an EL manifold with overpipe for fitting on a future date.

Although I love the UEL sound, Rogue convinced me that the EL has better flow characteristics. I may as well go for the best I can and it needs a remap anyway.

Sent from my LG-G7 using Tapatalk