MartinT

MartinT's BRZ

4 hours ago, MartinT said:

The Eonon comes with Torque preinstalled.

Yes, it needs a wifi hotspot but I've left my phone in auto tether mode and that seems to turn it on when needed. Bluetooth is used for the phone functions.

Sent from my LG-Q6 using Tapatalk

How've you enabled the auto tether option @MartinT?

5 minutes ago, Deacon said:

How've you enabled the auto tether option @MartinT?

On my LG Android 8.1 phone I've left Wi-Fi hotspot enabled with the timeout set to Off.  It's not 100% reliable, though, so I'm going to try Bluetooth tethering to see if the Eonon can work that way.

I have the InCarTech 29-709 loom and I think I've fathomed the steering wheel patch with the brown wire to go to the flying cable.  If anyone else has done this, please would you confirm it's pin 1 of the SWC intelligent module output?

4742.jpg

I've also ordered a couple of dremel bits so that I can widen the bezel by a couple of mm left/right so that it will fit over the Eonon.

I've now got the steering wheel controls working.  Pin 1 of the steering wheel kit goes to Steering Whl 1 on the Eonon adapter cable and pin 2 goes to Steering Whl Gnd.  Then fire it all up and use the Wheelkey Study app to programme the buttons.  Nice!  I'm still struggling with resizing the bezel opening but here's another photo of it all running well.

49573385156_393a74931b_o.jpg

I've just received this, the proper USB retention cable with the unusual Subaru plug.  I had to send the GT86 one back as it doesn't fit.  Will install it tonight.

InCarTech 24-263 for Subaru 2014 onwards.

5442.jpg

...it works a treat.  My phone now charges from the car's USB socket.

The final part of the plan is to get the Eonon Android dongle, which seems to be the only way to get USB internet tethering to work.  That way I can dispense with using the wi-fi hotspot method of connection.

Question for everyone: I have H&R Super Sport lowering springs which give a great ride height and maintain a pretty comfortable ride quality.  My BRZ is my daily driver so this is important to me.  What I am noticing, though, is that with the stock dampers I am getting a little over one rebound when going over rough roads.  In other words, I think I am a touch under-damped.  I believe this is somewhat typical with lowering springs when retaining the stock dampers.

What dampers should I be looking at in view of the reduced travel, in order to give me some more damping but not an iron-hard ride?

1 hour ago, MartinT said:

Aren't they full coilovers?

Yes if it’s just dampeners your after I think it’ll be bilstein’s.

is yours a facelift brz? Do they have the changed dampers like the gt86, shameless plug I have some standard facelift shocks for sale which have different dampening settings which make them smoother on the road and I always wondered how these would pair with lowering springs 

Yes, it's a facelift with the better suspension. The dampers are not designed for the lowering springs, though.

Does anyone have Tein Flex Z coilovers? They may be good for me as I don't track mine.

9 hours ago, MartinT said:

Yes, it's a facelift with the better suspension. The dampers are not designed for the lowering springs, though.

Does anyone have Tein Flex Z coilovers? They may be good for me as I don't track mine.

This is exactly the problem with lowering springs. You can try Bilstein dampers but only do so if you are sure they will match the springs, so either buy springs to match them or go TEIN Flex A. Get Flex A because they have hydraulic bump stops. 

12 minutes ago, Lauren said:

This is exactly the problem with lowering springs. You can try Bilstein dampers but only do so if you are sure they will match the springs, so either buy springs to match them or go TEIN Flex A. Get Flex A because they have hydraulic bump stops. 

Thanks, Lauren.  Lowering springs with standard shocks worked very well in my previous Honda CR-Z, but not quite as well in the BRZ.  Lesson learned.

There are 'short' B8 Bilsteins available for lowered cars, or otherwise it's the Teins.  It seems the latter are pretty popular and recommended so I'll have a chat with Abbey Motorsport when I see them for my service soon.

Meanwhile, back on the AV side, I found a pair of midrange drivers for the top dash grill next to the tweeters on eBay.  This will help fill in the hole in the midrange left by having the door drivers mounted too low and the dash having only tweeters, giving a tizzy sound without important vocal clarity.  Once they arrive, I'll get them installed.  May have to splice into the tweeter wiring.

s-l1600.jpg

I thought the JBL system that has the 3 way component was designed to still present the same overall resistance to the system? I.e. can the stock system handle the change in resistance just splicing into tweeter wiring will yield? The stock (and focal replacements) 2 way components give 4ohms overall so what rating are these extra midrange speakers? They might end up quieter than the other two speakers

Anyway, let us all know how you get on as it is something I've considered but never got around to doing after fitting the common focal upgrade front set lol

Each driver has a crossover to only handle its frequency range.  Since the tweeter is only handling the treble range, adding a midrange driver only handling the midrange frequencies will not impact the overall average impedance of 4 ohms across the spectrum.

What I want is vocal clarity as I'm not looking for a hi-fi installation what with my noisy engine and the poor cabin environment of any car.  The Focals are good but the door units are not bass monsters and the top-dash tweeters are considerably better than the stock item but leave a hole in the midrange.

After all, when I get home I have the big rig to give me what I want...

49506365768_0ed4f31969_o.jpg

I've decided I'm fed up with Android Auto.  The concept of the phone driving everything and the head unit just receiving display data doesn't work in practice as well as I'd hoped.  The AA version of Waze, for instance, is different from the nice version on my Eonon head unit.  You also have to have 'prepared' those apps you want available within AA, otherwise you'll be running the app locally and will lose your internet connection.

I have gone back to wi-fi tethering, using the full power of the Eonon, and prefer it.  Still looking for a USB tethering option that works, though.

I have now received the midrange drivers so will look to get those installed soon.