MartinT

MartinT's BRZ

Good news - it was just an exhaust blow in the TD super resonator, the crack being opened up under load and with revs. Phew, what a relief! I've got the 3-bar MAP sensor installed and Mark is just sorting out low rev fuelling to make it a little smoother on pulling away.
I shall enjoy driving it home!
Great news and glad its nothing serious. Did the exhaust crack due to additional load the SC is putting or due to an impact with a foreign object?

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Isn't it great when the car hums along beautifully, everything is working well and power is there when you need it?  Not to mention go-kart like responses.  I love this car!

Next job for me is fitting the STI front lip, which is rated as tricky and there is a YouTube video worth following.  Apparently they send the instructions for the pre-facelift model despite the lip being for 2017+ and they don't show all the correct locations for the stick-on drilling templates.  I need a dry day to get the car up on axle stands and get the job done.  Preferably not freezing cold.

I'm hoping to get the lip/splitter done tomorrow. Was looking for a cheap trolley jack and found a low profile 2 tonne one in the Halfords sale, so that's just gone in the boot. Already have axle stands.

Just don't rain!

Sent from my LG-Q6 using Tapatalk

STI Front Lip Installation

If anyone else buys the 2017+ STI Front Lip (Under Spoiler part no. E2410CA010), you should note that the instructions provided are for the pre-facelift model.  In the main, the procedure is the same, but template A has no bumper curve to follow and template F doesn't go where the diagram suggests.  Use a marker pen to clearly mark the two 'pre-arranged marks' in the bumper that look like crosshairs and offer up the lip so that you can mark the correct positioning of holes A and F on both sides.  Otherwise you will be drilling in the wrong place.

I also strongly advise using a pistol-grip electric screwdriver with hex shaft drill bits as the slower speed offers more control and it doesn't take much effort to go through the plastic.  Even when on axle stands, there isn't really room to drill upwards using a full size electric drill.  I couldn't use a 9mm drill bit for the final opening up of the holes so I did them by hand using a hand reamer.

After the holes have been done and plastic rivnuts inserted, use the two big clips in the 'pre-arranged mark' holes to hold the lip in place, then screw in the end flanges, making sure that the fit around the corner is good.  Then you can screw in the bolts into each rivnut.  There is a small amount of give if your holes aren't exactly in line.

The final result is very pleasing and looks better than some of the cheap clone offerings I've seen on eBay.

49473555012_852d410429_o.jpg

I had to renew my insurance yesterday and went through it all with Adrian Flux.  With all mods declared (supercharger, wheels, exhaust), fully comp, legal cover, personal accident, FlexDrive, replacement vehicle, 16k miles annually, it has come down from £678 to £538 with Aviva.  I'm happy enough with that.

I was looking at the Subaru STI rear spats to match the front lip but the cost is simply extortionate before even paying for shipping.  A local search revealed only very cheap looking Chinese copies.  Then I found these HT Autos 'rear lips' which I would never have thought of searching for.  Seem perfect so I've ordered a set.

s-l500.jpg

Stage 1 of the audio system is now done: I fitted the Focal speaker replacement kit IS165TOY.  I've followed many people here so I'll just say that you really must have a plastic pry tool to pull the door panels off.  I also put a piece of 300 x 200mm approximately acoustic foam behind each door speaker, behind the window rails so that they won't interfere with the opening windows.  The tweeters were relatively easy to do, but again that pry tool is essential if you don't want to damage the plastic interface.

I also suffered the faulted windows after reassembly but that's easy to fix: press and hold both buttons in the down position for 15s, then pull and hold both up for another 15s.  This resets the stored position memory and stops the window button lights from flashing.

The sound is way better than before, it actually communicates the music rather than the tinny pathetic noises it made before.  Highly recommended speaker kit.

The BRZ Starlink head unit is a piece of crap, Simon. I have an Eonon Android 9 head unit ready to go in next.

Different fitting kit as the Subaru dash bezel is differently shaped.

The head unit is in, but even with the correct wiring adapter, it's not an altogether straightforward operation.  I am left with the following issues:

- The USB retention cable for Toyota doesn't fit the Subaru 2017+ connector.  I need to investigate this some more
- The steering wheel controls don't yet work until I can fathom the somewhat obscure instructions on patching the smart unit
- the trapezoidal bezel supplied in the fitting kit has an opening just too narrow to accommodate the Eonon unit - I'll attempt to file it wider

The most important thing is that sound quality is greatly improved and I now have Radio Paradise, Waze and bluetooth phone & contact directory all working fine.

49542445468_0167f612f5_o.jpg

49542944181_ddb110e6e1_o.jpg

4 hours ago, MartinT said:

Functionally, I am impressed with the Eonon which is responsive and runs the Android apps I've tried without any problems. The 7" and 10" should behave identically.

Do Android head units such as these allow you to run the Torque app and show gauge dials on the stereo screen (either by installing the app directly onto the head unit, or mirroring from your phone)?

8 minutes ago, James7 said:

Do Android head units such as these allow you to run the Torque app and show gauge dials on the stereo screen (either by installing the app directly onto the head unit, or mirroring from your phone)?

Yes

How are you getting an Internet connection to the head unit for music / waze etc? Do you have to create a WiFi hotspot from your phone every time you get in the car?

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

The Eonon comes with Torque preinstalled.

Yes, it needs a wifi hotspot but I've left my phone in auto tether mode and that seems to turn it on when needed. Bluetooth is used for the phone functions.