MartinT

MartinT's BRZ

its a dual clutch gearbox iirc. 

From a standing start you would be screwed as it has 4WD but from a rolling 50mph youd at least be able to stay will one, if not edge away. 

All go and no show, describes it well ? :)

We are a hot hatch country, sleeper cars have always been our thing. Now that its early in the new year and i am a bit motivated to give you some numbers but have not included Focus RS, which will be a good competitor to Golf R

Statistic Cosworth SC manual Harrop SC manual  Golf R Auto
Power (BHP) 290 300 296
Torque (LbFt) 243             240 (approx) 280
Weight                1300 (approx)          1300 (approx) 1611
0-62 mph 5.0          ? 4.6
30-70 mph                                       ?          ? 4.3

Collected from these sources

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/volkswagen/golf-r

https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-reviews/toyota/cosworth-toyota-gt86-2015-review/

https://www.carthrottle.com/post/this-300bhp-supercharged-toyota-gt86-is-a-brilliantly-subtle-sleeper/

5 seconds to 60 and a manual gearbox for the Cossie 😁 I have some other toys that need fitting to mine - all of which would complement a SC nicely - and I'm seriously considering pricing it up. Numbers like that are a really bad influence!

5 seconds to 60 and a manual gearbox for the Cossie I have some other toys that need fitting to mine - all of which would complement a SC nicely - and I'm seriously considering pricing it up. Numbers like that are a really bad influence!
Clearly my excel table is all muddled up when I look at it via tapatalk.@steeps , you and me will be the last three eyeing for the last cossie SC before stocks run out.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

I did a 0-60 in 5.3s without a proper launch!

Trying to get below 5s is a skill as 1st gear just lights up the rear tyres, but I do believe with a good launch its possible and helped by the fact that my wheel diameter means the Speedo is spot on and the car can infact do 60mph in 2nd.

I have a new noise that has appeared over the last few days.  At first I thought it was a panel buzz or possibly an exhaust blow.  It's coming from the engine bay but I can't pinpoint it and I haven't been able to get anyone to rev the engine while looking under the bonnet.

It only appears when revving hard under acceleration rather than when cruising, and does not appear to affect performance.  I now think it sounds more like scraping and I wonder if my TD exhaust manifold is touching the crank pulley, which is very close, when the engine is tilted over slightly from acceleration?

Has anyone had similar happen?

I'd be surprised if it's the manifold/loop pipe touching the crank pully, that entire section of the exhaust is hard mounted to the engine so it should move with it. It could well be a bit of resonance that's crept in where somethings aged.

I'm beginning to wonder if it's knock. It doesn't sound like knock from previous experience but there is something going on with the mapping. Mode 3 (safe) has become unstable. I've contacted Mark at Abbey to see if I can bring it over.

Sent from my LG-Q6 using Tapatalk

On 1/10/2020 at 9:35 AM, MartinT said:

Sorry, I didn't mean the crank pulley, I think it's the AC pulley?  Or water pump?

Put a screwdriver to the oil pump and see if it's that. Popped over to see Gary from RRG earlier and he was telling me that Andrew Lowe had a similar problem, like a knocking sound. The oil pump was getting noisy. 

So other than the current issue, how are you finding the car with the supercharger? I figure it's been a few months now so everything should have basically settled down and you're through the honeymoon period so i'd be interested to know how it's going.

Apart from the current issue, the supercharger is a fab bit of kit.  The integration and installation are very professional.  If I sit close to the front offside of the car I can just hear the intercooler pump swishing away when the ignition is on (I was pumping my tyres at the time).  Apart from that, the belt is nice and tight and runs true (I had problems with a previous Sprintex charger) and there are no signs of installation nasties.

On the road, at low speed I can just feel the effects of parasitic load on the engine but it's not a lot more than, say, turning on the aircon.  I guess it may become more evident in summer with the Harrop and aircon both loading the engine.  I need the mapping tweaked at low revs above idle to just help the fuelling a little for smoother control.

At speed, it's smooth, progressive and gives a hell of a burst of acceleration if I'm hoofing it.  3rd, 4th and 5th are the gears where you can really give it pedal and the rewards are eager torque right up to the red line (I set my light to come on at 7000 rpm).  It just feels like a bigger engine - no surprises, no suddenly coming on boost, just a linear shove in the back.  Even in the wet, it feels safe and controllable with no surprise snaps.  I like the way superchargers feel.

On the motorway, 6th is now a very useful gear and if I'm lazy I can keep up with most traffic without the need to drop to 5th.  If someone is pulling away, dropping it to 5th is usually plenty.

The car is noisier because of the effect of load on the sound and because I went with a UEL manifold.  With the TD super-resonator, it's as loud as I would want it.  There is no drone at speed but it can get loud on hard acceleration.

To my surprise, the 17 x 8 wheels with Michelin 225 PS4s are perfectly balanced for the car.  I really don't need more rubber, it's highly controllable and turns in well.

Overall, I am well pleased.  This is my daily driver and I needed it to work well.  You're always going to have some teething issues with boost and I accepted that as part of the deal.

That's good to know. I'm sorely tempted by the Harrop kit after i a test drive in the Abbey demo car, that bit of extra torque really does transform the car.

On 1/3/2020 at 12:27 PM, BRZ-123 said:

Nice. The car featured in the Carthrottle  article with the Harrop installation was done by Abbey Motorsport and is now mine 😎

On 1/14/2020 at 11:10 AM, MartinT said:

To my surprise, the 17 x 8 wheels with Michelin 225 PS4s are perfectly balanced for the car.  I really don't need more rubber, it's highly controllable and turns in well.

Agreed, the PS4 do work well. My car is still on the standard 17x7 wheels and runs 215 PS4 tyres.

I hope that the noise issue you are experiencing gets resolved ok.

Good news - it was just an exhaust blow in the TD super resonator, the crack being opened up under load and with revs. Phew, what a relief! I've got the 3-bar MAP sensor installed and Mark is just sorting out low rev fuelling to make it a little smoother on pulling away.

I shall enjoy driving it home!