MartinT

MartinT's BRZ

Just now, BRZ-123 said:

And did you find a massive change between sprintex and Cossie or very similar?@Rich196

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

I changed it mainly for intake temperatures on track, in that regards yes the cosworth is much much better.

However road driving, there isnt much in it. I think the sprintex might have given a bit more power lower down, before the cam,  the cosworth feels a bit stronger once on cam pull hard to the red line.

3 minutes ago, Rich196 said:

I agree with what you say about the lack of shove. Its quick, but doesn't feel as it is.

Despite wanting it for torque, and it very much providing, the shove comes in when giving it a long sustained prod in a gear like 4th or 5th where you do appreciate the combination of push and wail as the cams open up.

Hard to tell at this early stage as the battery disconnect reset things. Motorway cruising doesn't seem hit too hard but it is drinking more than before. My guess is the average will drop from 35.6 to the low 30s.

Sent from my LG-Q6 using Tapatalk

The fuel trims have greatly helped drivability and the car is easier to control at traffic crawling speeds now.  Once properly underway, it feels much like before except there is response to a decent prod at any speed in any gear.

It almost never needs flooring - just a good prod and the speed builds quickly, something I remember my supercharged Honda doing.

I honestly wouldn't want or need more power than this.  It's very well matched to the chassis.

Will report on average mpg once the gauge has settled into a near-final reading.

The mpg is settling down close to 30mpg (currently 29.6 and slowly rising).  That compares with 35mpg before the supercharger.  I've not been using the power all the time, obviously, so it's a real-world idea of what you're likely in for if you go the supercharger route.  About 5mpg loss.  My daily commute is mostly motorway and fast A roads.

33 minutes ago, Neil-h said:

So given you've had the Harrop kit for a month now and the weathers been pretty dire, how are you finding the drivability?

Remarkably good.  Chargers are more predictable than turbos in that respect and, combined with the superb grip of the Michelin PS4s, I've had no surprises even in the driving rain.  I just apply a gentle right foot and it remains docile.  Of course, a good prod in the dry is still smile inducing!

The big test for me will be the snow.  The BRZ is my daily driver and living down a single track country lane which is prone to snow drifts suggests that I'm asking a lot.  We shall see.  Worst case, I'll come into work with my partner in her TTS Quattro (although that didn't fare much better than the BRZ last year).

What size tyres are you running? The 245mm PS4s on my "summer" wheels should be fine but i'd imagine the cross climates on the OEM wheels could prove interesting.

Last night I found the setting in my Scangauge II for the MAP sensor, set to kiloPascals (100kPa = 1 bar).  With the engine off and Scangauge on, it reads 102 which is perfect as that's atmospheric pressure.  What is the maximum reading for the stock MAP sensor?  It's winter so I couldn't give it full beans and only reached a reading of 137 which would be 0.37 bar of boost.  I seem to remember the sensor is limited to around 0.45 bar?

On 12/3/2019 at 6:11 AM, MartinT said:

Last night I found the setting in my Scangauge II for the MAP sensor, set to kiloPascals (100kPa = 1 bar).  With the engine off and Scangauge on, it reads 102 which is perfect as that's atmospheric pressure.  What is the maximum reading for the stock MAP sensor?  It's winter so I couldn't give it full beans and only reached a reading of 137 which would be 0.37 bar of boost.  I seem to remember the sensor is limited to around 0.45 bar?

1.37 Bar is the maximum on the OEM sensor.

9 hours ago, knightryder said:

1.37 Bar is the maximum on the OEM sensor.

Thanks for confirming that.  So my reading just hit the maximum.

I have spoken to Mark at Abbey Motorsport who can fit a new MAP sensor giving me accurate boost readings.  I'll have that done next year together with some other minor work.

On 12/8/2019 at 3:29 AM, MartinT said:

I have spoken to Mark at Abbey Motorsport who can fit a new MAP sensor giving me accurate boost readings.  I'll have that done next year together with some other minor work.

Do you need a larger MAP sensor? I've not seen a Harrop in a while but on a Sprintex and Cosworth charger you get some odd fueling if you run a larger MAP sensor due to pressure waves in the manifold.

Thanks. I'll ask Mark what he thinks closer to the time. The Harrop doesn't need one, I just wanted to know the exact boost but it's not important.

Sent from my LG-Q6 using Tapatalk

A few things: the economy has settled to around 30.6mpg.  It did hit a high of 30.8, but in this nice weather I've been using the power a bit more again.  The supercharger installation is running very smoothly and I think it likes the cool intake air, which is running at +14 (so 22C today).

The rear tyres are really wearing much faster than the fronts now with the supercharger, it's reminiscent of my old BMW in that respect.  I should probably rotate them to even things up a little.

I had a Golf right up my backside this afternoon.  Dropped it to 5th and hoofed it.  Nope, wasn't losing him so I pulled aside in the next gap.  It was a Golf R.  Oh well, can't beat them all!

I was already in 6th so I just dropped it to 5th.  In retrospect...

Even a Golf R, while seemingly the same power at 300bhp, has twice the torque across a wide range.

I was already in 6th so I just dropped it to 5th.  In retrospect...
Even a Golf R, while seemingly the same power at 300bhp, has twice the torque across a wide range.
It is significantly heavier than our cars too. I think in 4th you would've had him. And most golf Rs are DSG so all they do is boot the throttle and the gearbox down shifts

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Torque and rpm are what makes hp. If both are 300hp then wheel torque after gearing has been taken into account will be similar.

The golfs are notoriously under rated though so more likely 320hp.

A revo golf R is very quick indeed.