MartinT

MartinT's BRZ

I've just stopped for a coffee on my way home. The car feels incredibly potent and I'm still getting used to it.

Headline figures: 300bhp flywheel, 262whp. Max torque 275nm but there's torque everywhere. Overtaking urge in 5th is the most impressive thing.

That's all for now, I'll scan the dyno charts when I get a chance. Mark did a superb installation job.

Sent from my LG-Q6 using Tapatalk

I have to stop reading threads like this. The temptation keeps getting stronger.

Looking forward to seeing the Dyno data. Did you get any other mods? 300 at the flywheel is a good chunk of power...

I have to stop reading threads like this. The temptation keeps getting stronger.
Looking forward to seeing the Dyno data. Did you get any other mods? 300 at the flywheel is a good chunk of power...
Same here. Temptations abound

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

This doesn't show all the runs but is the best one to show power and torque (at the wheels).  262whp (=300bhp), 204lb.ft torque (=276nm).
The comparison lines are for a stock car.  No other mods today, just the Harrop supercharger kit.
48872507362_0f21f1a707_o.jpg
Hi Martin, why does the before graph show a big torque dip considering you already have a TD manifold and catback? Confused.

I added to the post: the before curves are for a stock car.  Yes, my torque dip was already eradicated by the TD NA kit.

I can't compare like with like because of the completely different dynos.

Yes, it works fine.  I didn't know this but Abbey supply and fit TD manifolds on request.
They do indeed. Just that it works out slightly more expensive than TD as it is not a package deal and labour is more expensive in south of england. It can save a lot of travel time and energy for some.

Nice, about 30% more torque over most of the rev range! Not surprising that it feels fast! Are you still on the stock brakes?

From memory the Cosworth SC doesn't fit the TD NA kit, which is a shame, but it's handy that the Harrop does. I wonder if Abbey will have any Black Friday deals...

First Impressions

There is torque everywhere, especially noticeable from low revs when in a gear higher than I was used to being in.  It's not the shove that I felt in my old twin-turbo diesel, but then it persists and persists to a glorious full wail at high revs.  The responses are immediate but progressive and controlling it even in the wet doesn't cause surprises.  The supercharger itself is so quiet as to be barely there and, unlike my previous Sprintex, there is just the sound of rushing wind at high revs telling me that induction is being forced. The exhaust note, however, is more liable to be noisy when acceleration is demanded at low revs (this may be especially with the UEL manifold).  Cruising on the motorway is no louder than before.  There is a lack of smoothness just above idle when pootling in traffic - it's a matter of learning the new throttle response which can feel a little on/off at first.  This is where the map feels most different from before.

Overall, the car feels like it wants to go at any opportunity and advanced planning for certain overtakes just isn't required any more.

The installation looks very OEM, you could easily believe that the car came like this from the factory.

Pros
Torque across the rev range
Fast responses
Lovely acceleration note at high revs
Overtaking in 5th brings a smile every time
Feels genuinely rapid now

Cons
The exhaust note can be anti-social when giving it pedal at low revs
Difficult to be smooth in stop/start traffic

Congrats!

260 hub is about the same as the cosworth stage 2.3 Mark had on that dyno. 

Numbers on their own mean nothing though, it relative to stock stock ~170 then going SC + exhaust gets you ~260 which is a +53% gain.

I concur it just feels like a bigger engine. power everywhere :) 

P.s. I am sure mark will happy to adjust the throttle mapping if you cant get used to it. I have two different throttle mappings for different situations. 

Stock brakes at the moment.  They feel adequate to the task on the road.

I did discuss a big brake kit with Scott and will pursue this at a later time after I've saved more pennies.

I also thought I might need wider wheels and tyres but my 17x8 with 225 PS4s seem to cope with the increased torque.  I'd rather keep learning how to balance the car on the throttle rather than having huge levels of grip disguise what's happening down there.

One interesting note: I was used to the intake air temperature being around 4C above ambient when driving (increasing much more when sat in traffic).  I have a Scangauge giving me the readings.

Now, even with the intercooler, the IAt hovers around 30C or above, showing how much compression warms up the air.

1 minute ago, MartinT said:

One interesting note: I was used to the intake air temperature being around 4C above ambient when driving (increasing much more when sat in traffic).  I have a Scangauge giving me the readings.

Now, even with the intercooler, the IAt hovers around 30C or above, showing how much compression warms up the air.

Intake temp will vary quite a lot depending on airflow through the intercooler and how much work the charger is doing. 

At the track you should see about  +25-30C over ambient depending on the circuit and driving style, with the Harrop kit. 

Both the car and I are doing some learning.  I think the ECU has settled into a better throttle response and I've learned to be very gentle at low revs.

Together, we're much smooooother now!

Had a chance to give it some welly last night chasing a fast Jaguar.  Very impressive and I could easily keep up with him.

On 10/10/2019 at 8:19 AM, MartinT said:

First Impressions

The supercharger itself is so quiet as to be barely there and, unlike my previous Sprintex, there is just the sound of rushing wind at high revs telling me that induction is being forced.

Did you remove the sprintex and fit the harrop?

1 minute ago, MartinT said:

No, I had the Sprintex on my previous car, a Honda CR-Z.  It certainly pepped up the 1.5l hybrid and turned many heads with its pronounced whine.

Ah okay, still only me thats removed a sprintex and fitted another charger (cosworth). Glad your enjoying it. I agree with what you say about the lack of shove. Its quick, but doesn't feel as it is. The non linear shove a turbo gives always feels faster!

I think the ECU will learn the more miles you do, allowing it to be smoother. The charger add a fair bit of rotational mass so charges the reving characteristics.

Ah okay, still only me thats removed a sprintex and fitted another charger (cosworth). Glad your enjoying it. I agree with what you say about the lack of shove. Its quick, but doesn't feel as it is. The non linear shove a turbo gives always feels faster!
I think the ECU will learn the more miles you do, allowing it to be smoother. The charger add a fair bit of rotational mass so charges the reving characteristics.
And did you find a massive change between sprintex and Cossie or very similar?@Rich196