ScoobyBlue

Batteries 🤬

Wifeys 86 had it’s battery replaced under warranty a couple of years ago and now it won’t hold a charge! Was flat last week - AA called, long run out and 3 days later bugger all.

AA called again today, long run out. 3 hours later dead.

Time for a new one as now out of warranty. Any thoughts on a good replacement?

BTW - have a solar charger!

My (65Ah one, that i got in during warranty of going flat stock 45Ah one) still runs fine, but i wonder if anyone can suggest lighter weight, but with as big capacity? Featherweight of mini lithium batteries for summer/track use sound nice, but not fan of switching out them. So thinking of compromise (weight wise), for weight reduction from different battery tech, but capacity wise on par with normal batteries..

Mine did the same, the warranty replacement lasted 18 months. I have a Yuasa now, model number is the one quoted above. 2 years on and it's going strong, got a good reputation for making decent batteries.

Yep, definitely a weak point. That said, my replacement battery from toyota  (higher 65a version) has just survived 4 weeks with the car not being driven. Left the alarm activated and last weekend it started up fine. No way would that have happened on the original battery. 

My 65Ah one lasts allready it's 3rd year. And even with stock 45Ah one .. UK forums are ones i saw issues with batteries running flat most often. I speculate, that it might be issue of high stationary current draw of alarms commonly fitted to UK twins, that may cause such often issues with batteries, no?

Im running a SuperBatt 072 80ah 650cca. It was the strongest battery I could find that still fits the standard battery tray. Had it nearly 2 years now and even after leaving the car parked/alarmed(keyless)/unused for over a month it still starts first attempt.

16 hours ago, Church said:

My 65Ah one lasts allready it's 3rd year. And even with stock 45Ah one .. UK forums are ones i saw issues with batteries running flat most often. I speculate, that it might be issue of high stationary current draw of alarms commonly fitted to UK twins, that may cause such often issues with batteries, no?

It's lack of use which is certainly the issue. I had my first 45Ah battery fail at 70K miles and three years. Replaced under warranty with 65Ah and is still fine at 137K miles and three and a half years later. Recently went on holiday for a week, no problems. Whilst the alarm will draw current, I think is more the case that a lot of owners simply don't use their cars that much which is what seems to cause the problems. Maybe there are other cars out there that don't suffer this issue. The UK alarm system is installed at Portbury Docks and the way to define whether this is the issue is to see if the problem still occurs in other markets which don't have an alarm fitted. 

I'm still on the original 45Ah battery and it's 2 1/2 years old now. I agree that it's a usage thing, mine is used virtually every day and so far has started fine.

Sent from my LG-Q6 using Tapatalk

Imho simplest would be to measure current draw of parked/locked car, if that amount is comparable to other cars/or way above average. Well, what else is there different in UK cars? Alarm was my guess, because you have that small alarm control remote in glove box, that for example i don't have, thus seems UK specific. As for usage pattern .. i had stock 45Ah gone flat even with my usage (and thus changed for free by dealership to bigger one). 65Ah - not yet. And i hadn't seen so much cases of problems with batteries on eg. US or AUDM twins forums. I'm under impression, that many there run just fine with stock 45Ah, and many even install smaller lithium one for track use/weight savings. They certainly have different usage patterns though too, most probably - longer highway driving.

My 2015 MY BRZ came with the 65Ah battery installed from factory and has a subaru alarm. Not sure how different it is to Toyotas but I go out on holiday for 3 weeks at a time and it starts first time.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

I did some measurements a few years back on mine as the battery would be dead after a couple weeks from new and after a few years it would even last a week.

Static current draw was less than 100mA after stopping the engine and after a while went down very low. I forget the actual numbers but the maths would suggest a 45Ah batter should last months. 

So I pulled the battery and did a capacity test. My 3 year old GT86 with about 12k miles the battery had a capacity of about 5Ah iirc.

I believe, that the Panasonic batteries where low on capacity from the factory. 

I now have an 75Ah AGM battery due to having a high power stereo. I cost about £100