Hello everyone on this gorgeous August Bank Holiday. 

I recently fitted has bonnet struts to my GTS86 and as I whilst doing it I noticed two sections of the underside of the bonnet that looked suspiciously like they may be almost perfect shapes for cutting out and putting in vents. As I haven’t seen anything on the forums (here or elsewhere) that specifically mentions what looks like Toyota preparing for future optional heat vents, I was wondering if anyone else has noticed these and, if so, has actually found any louvres/vents that would fit? 

I have an HKS S/C + a Cobra catback res exhaust system on mine, and haven’t noticed any undue heat problems, however I have yet to track race it, which I will be doing later this year after my brake pad and fluid / plus Tein Flex A and EDFC Active Pro installations, which is my late summer / autumn project  

I don’t have any photos to hand to show what I am talking about, though I may add them later today, especially if it appears that my (Australian bought and imported to the U.K. when I returned last year) GTS has them and they aren’t standard here. From looking at the shapes and position, it looks exactly like a design addition targeting future options on the car, that may not have seen the light of day perhaps. 

Check Verus hood vent set of four. Made to fit in those "windows". Trackspec motorsports vent set of two but bigger ones goes/cuts across some.

As for impact, they work and they do reduce underbonnet temps and also add a bit front downforce.

What one should take care of: to cut in right places, where there is low pressure zone, not before or after it. Also if rain/snow worries, maybe also optional rain guards (for eg. verus set).

11 minutes ago, Church said:

Check Verus hood vent set of four. Made to fit in those "windows". Trackspec motorsports vent set of two but bigger ones goes/cuts across some.

As for impact, they work and they do reduce underbonnet temps and also add a bit front downforce.

What one should take care of: to cut in right places, where there is low pressure zone, not before or after it. Also if rain/snow worries, maybe also optional rain guards (for eg. verus set).

That’s awesome. Thanks Church :)

59 minutes ago, Septic said:

I noticed two sections of the underside of the bonnet that looked suspiciously like they may be almost perfect shapes for cutting out and putting in vents. .....especially if it appears that my (Australian bought and imported to the U.K. when I returned last year) GTS has them and they aren’t standard here. From looking at the shapes and position, it looks exactly like a design addition targeting future options on the car, that may not have seen the light of day perhaps. 

It's just how you add strength to a flexible metal without making it thick and heavy ;) The bonnet is the same on all models. Some come with less insulation, like this:

1HAogkPh.jpg

If you remove all the insulation, the whole bonnet is like that.

Here are the original set of 4 Verus vents:

Image result for verus vents

You could do them as a pair or all 4. They have also recently done a pair for the outside rear, but I believe they are less efficient (better looking though IMO). I also think TrackSpec make some larger ones if that's what you fancy....

t1.jpg

Trackspec look somewhat better in my eyes then verus, and vent a bit better by at least vendor's data, but they don't have rainguards option and cut across strenghtening ribs (though i doubt for it to be any issue, and not letting snow/rain fall on engine imho is overrated too. Going over any puddle of water will splash there few orders more water anyway, no?). Then again rainguards reduce efficiency, and probably as summer/track use considered, worth removing anyway. Still, if one wants "free" temp lowering and some reducing of front lift without adding much drag, vented hood is nice feature to have, and is cheaper then eg. aftermarket CF or FRP hood with vents.

That drag vs downforce would make me aero set that i'd wish - hood vents, rear diffuser and extra underside streamlining panels. Not fan of big ricer wangs, front splitters and canards.

Thanks all for your advice. I don’t know where the time has gone since you posted them. I honestly seem to have blinked and it’s now November. 
In fairness though, I have had serious knee problems that got much worse (to the point of being unable to move without crutches) since July, so my focus hasn’t been on my car at all.

Until now that is.

I had some wonderful injections of something or other into my knees two weeks ago and it had given me back a lot of mobility, not perfect, but sufficient to make a start on my suspension and brakes upgrades and all the other stuff I need before the track day I have booked in December. 

I will be looking to add vents early in the New Year so I am very grateful for the info you have provided. 

R :)