Willson777

Blowing Exhaust? Or something else?

Hi everyone,

About a year ago I had the NA Tuning Package fitted with Tuning Developments and also took their Super-Resonated catback exhaust. 

All was very well for the last 10k miles which I have done since then, however over the last 1k, I have been getting a tin-can rattle under acceleration, just past 3000rpm to redline. (I am driving very conservatively since , below 3000rpm, to prevent any further potential damage.)

The rattle occurs under heavy or light acceleration but not when revving in idle. Also occurs whether hot or cold. With the windows down it sounds like it's coming from the rear-right section of the exhaust but with window up it sounds more forwards towards the engine bay.

The exhaust also keeps slipping left off-centre which may or may not be related, I can easily re-position on the 4 rubber guide hooks, but then after a couple of drives it has vibrated back to the left of the valance.

As far as I can see, the rear of the exhaust looks OK, but I can't really get under the car to look properly at the rest of the mid section and nuts/bolts etc there. I guess I could lift one corner using the wheel jack, to try and get a better look, but I don't know how safe this is?

I did e-mail Mike who is more than happy to take a look at the car for me, however I'm about 4 hours drive away unfortunately. 

I also have my MOT on Friday and it is due by end of month, so I'm considering taking it to somewhere like kwik-fit or the likes to be looked at properly.

Any recommendations much appreciated!

Could be a heat shield, the catalytic converter cells rattling around inside its case because it’s detached or a loose bolt.

Not much you can do without getting under the car. Unsafe unless you use jack stands or at least put a wheel under the sill, especially using the jack from the boot.

I’d take it to a local Independent garage get it in the air and ask them if you can take a look. If their not busy good chance you won’t get charged.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Sam, I've just tried playing with it a bit and had some limited success.

I moved the exhaust and rubber guides as far right as I could, took it on a test drive and i got through the whole rev range in a couple of gears without any of the tin-can sound at all, but a couple of minutes later it was back. So I think the integrity of the exhaust is fine, and it is rattling against something when under load.

It is right up against the heat-shield (touching it), is this normal? The heat shield doesn't seem to be lose. 

My other thought is that the exhaust passes very close to this part of the chassis (image attached/below), the photo is looking towards front of the car. So if the exhaust is off to the left and then vibrating under acceleration then i may well be hearing it collide with the chassis.

68784788_2223113094477357_5115745081092997120_n.jpg

1 minute ago, Twigman said:

Is this the infamous gear linkage rattle?

AFAIK there is no cure. It's a common thing.

Hi Twigman, I don't think it is gear related at all but I could well be wrong

It tends to happen 3500k and above. You say it doesn't happen unless under acceleration and doesn't happen if just revving while not in gear...sounds like a tin can? All symptoms of the gear linkage rattle. It doesn't happen all the time either, i suspect.

Hey Wilson

Got the same super res cat back. It touches the rear suspension on mine too. Especially when hot and metal expands. The noise is as bad but you can hear it when pulling from junctions in 1st and 2nd. 

Planning on taking it off the car at some point and bending the pipe a bit. 

Thanks Sam, I've just tried playing with it a bit and had some limited success.
I moved the exhaust and rubber guides as far right as I could, took it on a test drive and i got through the whole rev range in a couple of gears without any of the tin-can sound at all, but a couple of minutes later it was back. So I think the integrity of the exhaust is fine, and it is rattling against something when under load.
It is right up against the heat-shield (touching it), is this normal? The heat shield doesn't seem to be lose. 
My other thought is that the exhaust passes very close to this part of the chassis (image attached/below), the photo is looking towards front of the car. So if the exhaust is off to the left and then vibrating under acceleration then i may well be hearing it collide with the chassis.
68784788_2223113094477357_5115745081092997120_n.thumb.jpg.ff2de8f98b4495ca8c562b92198e6b57.jpg
Thats close, too close i would say and definitely could be your noise, you could use jubilee clips on the exhaust hangers to create a gap so the rubbers cant move may hold it away from the subframe there

Sent from my COL-L29 using Tapatalk