Deacon

Evo 2019 tyre test

The new copy of Evo arrived through the post today and they have their annual tyre test. The test size was 225/40/18 and the test car a Golf GTi. The test was carried out at Pirelli's test track. 

Possibly unsurprisingly (depending how cynical you are) Pirelli's P-Zero Came first. The Michelin PS4 came second and Continental Premium Contact 6 came third. 

The interesting bit was right at the end of the article though. They also tested the Maxxis Victra Sport 5 but didn't include it officially in the test as it was supplied to them by Maxxis as they couldn't purchase them from the UK wholesale market (not really sure why as a quick look on tyre reviews suggests they're easily available 🤷‍♂️). The Maxxis took part in all the same tests as the others and would have been the overall winner had it been officially included. They commented that it 'has great feel and performs very well in the wet and the dry', it was the cheapest tyre they tested and was 'top in some tests, near the top in most and scored well subjectively'. 

May be a good option to try, especially for those who maybe don't want to spend the money for the PS4's which most of us use and is generally regarded as about the best normal road tyre for this platform. 

34 minutes ago, BRZ-123 said:

Did they include the new premium goodyears( recently launched)in test?

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

They have the Eagle F1 Asymmetric 5 included. They came 6th (out of 7)

Thank you Jeff. It's very interesting. Auto Express, Evos sister company has in this weeks magazine done their tyre test and Asymmetric 5 come in at 3rd place with Falken Azenis and Nokian Powerproof getting number 2 and 1 respectively.

25 minutes ago, BRZ-123 said:

Thank you Jeff. It's very interesting. Auto Express, Evos sister company has in this weeks magazine done their tyre test and Asymmetric 5 come in at 3rd place with Falken Azenis and Nokian Powerproof getting number 2 and 1 respectively.

In the Evo one the Nokians came joint 4th with Dunlop Sport Maxx Rt2 and the Falkens came 7th

The variation in outcome between these tests just goes to show how personal preferences figure, as well as the car, FWD/RWD, suspension setup, types of road, average weather etc.

For me, across my last 3 cars, the Michelin PS4 and Falken Azenis FK-510 are the best tyres I've used on the road (I don't track).