Daninplymouth

Coilover advice

Hi, it looks like I will be ordering my coilovers shortly to lower the car I’m just after people’s opinions on the what the best set around £1000-1500 are. I was planning on the tein flex As. My car is used as a daily mostly but am planning on getting into more track days. I’d choose slightly better comfort over all out performance and would like them be fairly reliable

thanks 

1 minute ago, Daninplymouth said:

Hi, it looks like I will be ordering my coilovers shortly to lower the car I’m just after people’s opinions on the what the best set around £1000-1500 are. I was planning on the tein flex As. My car is used as a daily mostly but am planning on getting into more track days. I’d choose slightly better comfort over all out performance and would like them be fairly reliable

thanks 

Flex A's sound like just what you're after for how you want to use them

I've just fitted some KW V3's which when adjusted to softer bound and rebound are very comfortable, my car is on the oem wheels and tires with a 35mm drop and the dampers are 3 clicks off softest setting. Germany quality stainless steel mean they will last a very long time and if you're likely to adjust the height alot they won't seize like most steel products. I do a track day once a year but more likely to do more after I've finished doing the mods that I want. 

When speaking to other owners about what I wanted from the suspension the kW V3's and tein flex a's were the most highly recommended. 

If you're fitting yourself then the flex a's go in much easier because they come with their own top mounts fitted and to swap these over requires spring compressors and open sockets or the use of an impact gun. Other than this the gt86 suspension swap is a breeze compared to most cars. 

Reasonable drop for these cars is within inch. After all, twins are rather low and with rather short suspension travel to begin with. If you want drop even more, be ready to sacrifice comfort (due very little bump travel left before hitting bumpstops and due need to use much stiffer springs to compensate short travel left), and for more spendings on extra parts, to fix fscked geometry due overlowering, for example whiteline roll center/bump steer kit + some rear diff riser, to get rear axle joint angles back to reasonable angles to reduce load/wear on those joints. And of course be extra careful on speedbumps and steeper driveways, eg. learn to cross them at angle and such.

Though .. of course if looks take priority to handling and performance, there are many that do drop their cars very low no matter illeffects using cheapest means possible and without doing anything to reduce/fix them. I'm liking this car for it's handling and thus hate such approach of making it worse, but to each his own what one likes and considers important and what sacrifices are acceptable.

Has anyone tried the tein mono sports? Just wondered if they were an upgrade over the flex A’s. 

Im allowing for rear lower arms and adjustable front drop links. I would like to lower it whilst keeping the most of the handling traits that I can

I use the mono sports on my sprint car, pretty harsh with the springs they come with but I run softer ones anyway. My OH has flex A on her 86 and I would say it is better for comfort.

9 minutes ago, KevinA said:

I use the mono sports on my sprint car, pretty harsh with the springs they come with but I run softer ones anyway. My OH has flex A on her 86 and I would say it is better for comfort.

Thanks for that. I will rule out the mono sports i don’t want anything to harsh 

10 minutes ago, Daninplymouth said:

Thanks for that. I will rule out the mono sports i don’t want anything to harsh 

The hydraulic bump stop in the Flex A's makes them difficult to top in your stated price range because it's so good at taking out the harshness of big bump hits and nothing else (in that price range) seems to use one. 

With mine lowered 35mm I haven't needed any adjustable drop links or rear lca's. Does depend on what your wheel preferences are going to be as well to keep the camber looking correct. @VAD17 has the flex a's fitted, does quite a few track days and daily drives it. He highly rates the flex a's on track. What you gain from the mono tubes on track you'll lose on the public roads.