Subota Boy

Puncture repair kit

I notice that the sealant kit that came with the car has expired.  Has anyone tested the OEM kit in anger?  Can anyone recommend a reliable replacement, or even one of the compressed air cans?  I know these can mess up the tyre inside.

Any advice appreciated.  I have carried a space saver in the past but it won't fit over BBK so not much use really.

I've used an OEM expired puncture fluid. Seems fine I found but either way you're going to get a mess. And as that is the case, I'd just grab tyre weld. Much quicker to use than the puncture repair kit offered in the car.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

My advise is to throw out that sealant kit, at most only keep compressor.

1) most tire repair shops refuse to deal/repair tires with that gunk used on,

2) that kit won't help with all puncture types, so i wouldn't call it something that i can 100% rely on,

3) very probably you'll have to buy at least two new tires for tires of same wear to be on axle (at least that's what i'd try to at least in rear, due LSD diff), but if punctured tire without that crap used on is brought to tire shop, it often can be repaired for relatively cheap and it will be of same wear as rest of tires on car.

Imho full sized spare also has it's cons, eg. it's extra weight, and also robs space from already small boot, due sticking out

So .. i'd just spend more time trying to find spacesaver that does fit over BBK. For example here and here, spacesaver that fits over performancepackage brembos, P/N 28151FE030 (+foam spacer 97046CA000 (under wheel), +foam insert 95086CA070 (different from smaller non-PP insert), and just tire P/N 28121VA050 T145/70D17).

Here i found for example 18" spacesaver of 5x100 pcd. Maybe it also can provide better brake clearance. If nothing else, then with spacer.

@Church the WRX STi 17" space saver fits over BBK kit as it has to clear the stock brembos

I have tested it with the Reyland 330mm AP racing kit and it fits just fine with no need for spacer. 

+1 for Holts tyre weld. Its what I have had in the car since changing wheels/brakes and adding a sub in the boot. 

Never had to use it to say if its any good and reviews are mixed, but no other (realistic) option.