Adverts on Auto Trader have recently started showing lower fuel economy figures for facelifted BRZs/GT86s.  It was just the Blue Edition of the GT86 until the last few months for some reason.  It's the manual versions I'm interested in by the way.

My BRZ info from Subaru from both 2015 and 17 (pre-facelift and facelift) show near identical figures.  So what's happened? 

Official 2015 figures are 27.2, 44.1, 36.2 (urban, extra urban, combined).

2017 figures are 27.2, 44.8, 36.2.

Auto Trader figures for the later cars are 23.4, 42.8, 32.8.

For the GT86, only the combined figure is now given - 33.23.

Anyone know what's going on?

I know these figures are academic, but they are useful for comparison purposes between different models from different manufacturers.

Thank you both.

I'm curious to know what the owner's manual states for 2017 MY onwards (facelift) cars, given that my pricelist/specification sheet from Subaru UK gives near identical figures to the earlier cars.  Presumably GT86 will be the same. 

1 hour ago, james_ly said:

I read somewhere the facelift has a different final drive so the revs are higher.

Not in the UK/Europe, we only got cosmetic changes.

@Lussoman 33.2mpg is the new figure based on the WLTP test cycle - the older (NEDC) cycle that gives three figures was not representative of real-world driving and manufacturers were designing their cars to perform well on the test but getting nowhere near the claimed figures on the road.

No idea why Auto Trader have different figures.  Toyota did make some minor tweaks for the MY16 - the last pre-facelift year - to comply with the Euro 6 emissions standard, so I wonder if it was something around that time that could have caused a change.

My 2017 BRZ has recorded 35.7 mpg average over 30k miles. That's a real world mix of motorway and suburban driving and not hanging around. I'm pretty pleased with it. All credit to the Toyota D4S injection system.

Sent from my LG-Q6 using Tapatalk

Just that .. for many owners these particular cars are for sheer driving pleasure mostly .. and many ecomiling techniques go against "fun" in driving. Hence i wouldn't care much about economy, and what mileage some may have squeezed out. Fun is also worth paying for. Driving like i do nets bad mileage .. but i still willingly choose pay more for more fun :). I still prefer to floor on launches, tire chirping in some turns, slight drifting on gravel/snow/ice roads. So i often find myself driving at higher rpm-s then needed, just for engine to be louder :). Worse mileage? So be it, it's worth it :D

To reiterate, I'm curious as to why there's marked differences in published figures.  Thanks for the comments.  

Clearly it's a sports car and most will choose to drive it as such at least some of the time; ergo no two individuals are ever going to get the same average.

My current steed averages around the mid-20s mpg over all types of driving, and is in the second-from-top tax band.  Part of the attraction of the BRZ/GT86 is the 'possibility' of seeing a clear improvement over that at times when I might want to see an improvement, e.g. long trips with the other half, whilst still enjoying spirited driving at other times. 

My 2017 86 was getting an average of 37 mpg stock.  That was a 20/30/50 town/a roads/motorway.  Not hanging about either but roughly sticking to motorway speed limits.  With cruise control on over a longer motorway journey I would get 45 mpg.  Surprisingly after going forced induction with 9 inch wheels and 245 tyres I'm still getting roughly 35 mpg with same driving style over same journeys.  Obviously a fair bit less when playing.

1 hour ago, Lussoman said:

That does sound impressive Martin.  There seems to be a good number of owners reporting better-than-quoted figures.

Just what I wanted to hear!

I'm getting 36.3 mpg pump to pump in a standard 2014 car. It went up a bit after 1800 miles up to Scotland, around and back, which was more like 43 mpg. This car is very efficient from 30-50 mph, claiming over 50 mpg most of the time, but that comes back down to mid 40s at a steady 70 mph. Range is about 300 miles to just under 400 miles for pure motorway.

I'm spending £100 less per thousand miles on fuel than I did with my previous 22mpg car, and I'm quicker in the bends. No complaints here!

To reiterate, I'm curious as to why there's marked differences in published figures.  Thanks for the comments.  
Clearly it's a sports car and most will choose to drive it as such at least some of the time; ergo no two individuals are ever going to get the same average.
My current steed averages around the mid-20s mpg over all types of driving, and is in the second-from-top tax band.  Part of the attraction of the BRZ/GT86 is the 'possibility' of seeing a clear improvement over that at times when I might want to see an improvement, e.g. long trips with the other half, whilst still enjoying spirited driving at other times. 
To reiterate Spikyone's statement, the old readings were as per NEDC and hence higher. The new readings are as per WLTP and when it was launched the road tax slabs were also changed to reflect new CO2 calculations. I think WLTP was implemented in Sept 2017 and all manufacturers had to comply and universally MPG went down. Some websites still have the old NEDC values while others have WLTP.

Read more here.

https://wltpfacts.eu/when-will-wltp-changes-take-place/

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

My 2017 86 was getting an average of 37 mpg stock.  That was a 20/30/50 town/a roads/motorway.  Not hanging about either but roughly sticking to motorway speed limits.  With cruise control on over a longer motorway journey I would get 45 mpg.  Surprisingly after going forced induction with 9 inch wheels and 245 tyres I'm still getting roughly 35 mpg with same driving style over same journeys.  Obviously a fair bit less when playing.
@mart86 which FI did you go for. It seems right for a turbo but for a roots, centrifugal one , you will lose more mpg , even if driving gently.

5 hours ago, BRZ-123 said:

To reiterate Spikyone's statement, the old readings were as per NEDC and hence higher. The new readings are as per WLTP and when it was launched the road tax slabs were also changed to reflect new CO2 calculations. I think WLTP was implemented in Sept 2017 and all manufacturers had to comply and universally MPG went down. Some websites still have the old NEDC values while others have WLTP.

Read more here.

https://wltpfacts.eu/when-will-wltp-changes-take-place/

Many thanks for the explanation, most helpful.