Neil-h

Functional splitters/diffusers

Just out of curiosity, has anyone on here got a “aerodynamically functional” splitter/diffuser on their car? The reason I ask is there’s a few companies in the states (e.g. FT86 speed factory or driveway labs) who claim to do splitters that help reduce drag/improve downforce and I was wondering if anyone had ever bothered to import one.

Cheers

16 hours ago, will300 said:

Errr... What do you want to know?

Was more the diffusers tbh as i quite i quite like the look of the driveway labs type 1 diffuser. As for what i want to know, it was just about cost and peoples experiences of importing from the states.

https://drivewaylabs.com/collections/subaru-brz/products/type-1-rear-diffuser

I can't really help as mines a Verus splitter & diffuser, that was order via a UK distributor so I didn't have to deal with shipping, import tax, etc. 

However I will say, you won't get the benefit of a diffuser without a splitter.

6 minutes ago, Neil-h said:

Cool, have you got any photos of the diffuser? Also, who’s the UK distributor for Verus?

This is the non aggressive rear diffuser. Tegiwa is where me and @will300 had them from but I'm not sure they are importing the Verus stuff anymore

received_2242252236039814_Hagrid.jpg.fe9a88fb043dfc01feb8cf96a0f000c8.jpg

Deacon: is your car lowered? At one point i considered Velox non-agressive diffuser, but from your photo it seems that ground clearance is way way below what would seem acceptable for me dual-using car 😕

4 minutes ago, Church said:

Deacon: is your car lowered? At one point i considered Velox non-agressive diffuser, but from your photo it seems that ground clearance is way way below what would seem acceptable for me dual-using car 😕

Around 40mm

16 hours ago, Deacon said:

This is the non aggressive rear diffuser. Tegiwa is where me and @will300 had them from but I'm not sure they are importing the Verus stuff anymore

Yeah think i'd have to speak to Tegiwa and find out, they don't list Verus on their brands listing but Verus have them down as their EU dealer.

So how much did the splitter/diffuser cost?

19 hours ago, Neil-h said:

Yeah think i'd have to speak to Tegiwa and find out, they don't list Verus on their brands listing but Verus have them down as their EU dealer.

If you do get to the point of wanting to order, I'm sure others would want bits too, me included, this may bring the costs down a little.

19 hours ago, Neil-h said:

The splitter and diffuser bits came out as about £1300 just over a year ago (obviously exchange rates and price increases will probably alter that now) 

Even for mx-5 aero works for grip/laptimes. Why wouldn't on these cars?

Whatever power level, extra grip from downforce will allow brake later, less, corner faster, start accelerate quicker. Unless it's very small/slow track i guess, where gains might be minimal.

8 hours ago, Tubbytommy said:

I'd doubt anyone has the power and handling to make use of any functional aero even on track.

Just buy what looks best.

I saw wills at the japshow and the bits he has fitted look very good

Tbh half the reason for wanting one is “the look”. Just I wanted something that stood a chance of actually being functional as well, rather than one of those stick on diffusers which are actually just a piece of trim on the rear bumper.

If you do get to the point of wanting to order, I'm sure others would want bits too, me included, this may bring the costs down a little.
I'd join as well, wonder if its worthwhile asking for a group buy/ discount

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

As someone mentioned above Splitter's aren't really functional unless you can stand on them.

Likewise Diffuser's are even trickier, they're not functional in the slightest unless the entire under body of the car is smooth, an inch from the ground and the diffuser extends well behind the car. It's actually more functional to just totally remove the rear bumper altogether.

This guy has some really good videos on the subjects

To be honest the main use for a proper diffuser on a road car is the reduction in drag rather than creation of downforce. Assuming you fit something that meets the floor pan and extends passed the rear bumper, then it'll smooth out the airflow leaving the underside of the car and reduce the airflow into the leading (i.e. inside) face of the rear bumper.

Talked to Clay Warner at Verus Engineering last week.

Their Ventus 1 package (front splitter + rear diffuser + rear suspension cover) would be $1,282, additional front splitter endplates to add $189 (with the same discount as package), so that's a total of $1,471.

Delivery by FedEx to the UK £275.

With the current exchange rate this would be £1.434 (ouch!), and that's without side skirts.

They did not offer a group buy discount, but can ship multiple orders at the same time.

(I have also asked Tegiwa what they can do, will let you know).

To be fair its the best set up I have seen so far, but it certainly does not come cheap.

Tegiwa price is $ 1,282 +VAT (excl shipping) for Ventus, same price as directly from Verus.

If we get 5-10 sets, they can offer each for $1,090 (plus shipping and VAT), that's £ 1,080 inclusive of VAT (at today's exchange rate) but excluding delivery.

Ventus 1 package includes:

- A0001A Street Front Splitter

- A0004A Race Upgrade

- A0012A/ A0003A - Aggressive/ Non-aggressive Rear Diffuser

- A0016A - Rear Suspension Cover

I think front splitter end plates also would be a good addition.

I have asked Tegiwa to check that delivery price would be if we get 5 sets and assume we can arrange single garage to fit it all at reasonable price.

Just wonder if there would be enough interest for 5 sets - who would be up for it?