Cerastes

Boot won't open - Getting fed up with owning this car

Just wondering if anyone else has had this issue and if they did, how did they open their boot lol?

Tried the button under the boot; which is what I normally do. I tried it about 2 weeks ago and it didn't open then and I thought oh maybe it's just playing up as my car seems to have some really funny moments. Now today I just tried opening it and it wouldn't open still.

Tried both keys, tried the boot button on the keys (which does nothing).

Tried the boot button inside the car.

I did have an issue few months ago when the boot wouldn't close as the latch or something wasn't open so it wouldn't close. I can't remember what I did but I think I just pushed it out the way and closed it. And quite a few months before that it wouldn't close, think I just put some oil or WD40 on some of the parts.

To be honest, I'm getting really annoyed with this car. I wish I kept my Suzuki Swift Sport 5+ years of ownership, not a single thing went wrong, and I mean not a single little thing.

Anyway, if anyone has any advice or am I having to go through the back seats and somehow undo the whole boot? Or give me some confidence in I made the correct decision in buying this car or why I should keep owning this unreliable car.

I have similar issue with the closing. I have to slam it pretty hard. If you aren't happy with it, may as well get rid of it. But if you can look past it for what it is then keep it.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Have you tried putting some downward pressure on boot while some one presses button in car opened many a dodgy bonnet this way may be fuse but long shot as for owning car if it hadn't been for hobby club and events throughout the year would have chucked it in many years ago still onward and upward 🤔

Sorry I should have mentioned I did try pushing down on boot and then pushing button while doing so and then trying to open. But I can try with pushing down and someone pushes button inside car. Thanks @nikndel

When pushing the button inside the car I have noticed nothing happens when you push the button quickly, but if I hold it down it makes a clicking sound (sounds like an electronic clicking sound), can someone confirm if that is normal. Thanks.

@matrixprotein  It's not the first issue I have had with the car, I have had many issues. Well not many, but way more than I thought I would have gotten from a Japanese car costing this much.

Maybe it is my own fault for not using the car that much. I hate selling cars though; so much hassle.

2 hours ago, Cerastes said:

When pushing the button inside the car I have noticed nothing happens when you push the button quickly, but if I hold it down it makes a clicking sound (sounds like an electronic clicking sound), can someone confirm if that is normal. Thanks.

Yes, thats normal

2 hours ago, Cerastes said:

Thanks, Is that how you open it via the boot button inside the car? You hold it down until it clicks?

Yes. To stop accidentally opening it. 

You can still find out the issue and/or then find out the cost to fix. It could be cheap...

Try contacting breakers and see if any have the locking mechanism and switch it over? No idea if there's anything in the locking mechanism that's tied to the car though...

Thanks, I'll speak to this guy who is going to call me about the recall tomorrow. He might not know, but I can ask if he can take a look, although not sure how he can take a look, you can't open it to look at it 🤣

10 minutes ago, gazza82 said:

The dealer has to give at least three months warranty ....

A years warranty for the recall and a years warranty anyway on any parts fitted. Though obviously his boot problem isn't under warranty, though they can at least have a look and see what is going on and give a cost to fix. 

Can you not get to the boot lock and unlock it to carry out a proper investigation by dropping the back seats? 

Had a similar problem with a Toyota rental in New Zealand and I managed to open by dropping back seats only to discover that you had to depress the boot release button on the fob for about 3 seconds to open the boot, never used the fob to open the boot on the 86 so not sure if that is the same.

On 7/14/2019 at 4:57 PM, Cerastes said:

Or give me some confidence in I made the correct decision in buying this car or why I should keep owning this unreliable car.

It's OK, I get pangs of the same feeling.

Is yours a Primo? In the states there is a button in the boot that stops the boot release from working (look at vids online). I don't believe it's on UK cars but maybe the primo. Also, is there a manual key release?

17 hours ago, knightryder said:

It's OK, I get pangs of the same feeling.

Is yours a Primo? In the states there is a button in the boot that stops the boot release from working (look at vids online). I don't believe it's on UK cars but maybe the primo. Also, is there a manual key release?

On 7/14/2019 at 4:57 PM, Cerastes said:

To be honest, I'm getting really annoyed with this car. I wish I kept my Suzuki Swift Sport 5+ years of ownership, not a single thing went wrong, and I mean not a single little thing.

What sort of issues are we talking when you say it's putting you off the car?? I'm a new owner.  

From what I've seen across the forums there are quite a few little annoying issues some people get, but they do seem little issues, not must fix big money ones. It's clear Toyota have gone cheap on some electrical/interior parts, but my hope with that is the rest of the money has gone into the mechanical side and that's the side you want reliable as it's costly to fix! 

@Gray I think that is the only way. I was hoping this technician guy would call today regarding the Valve recall and was going to ask him, but he didn't call. I may have a look through the back seats at some point on the weekend if I get time. 

@knightryder No unfortunately there is no manual key release. Shame as you though there would be, like there is on the drivers door in case of the battery dieing in your fob.

@PhilR Mine are probably only related to my car. But 2 issues with the glass, scratches on my windows I believe because of the motors or something in the doors, I also seem to be the only one who has an issue with the rubber of the drivers door getting caught when the window goes up when you close the door and every time I take it back to get a recall for something I forget to mention to them; it's not major but both are annoying on car that cost me this much. I have issues with the radio, probably due to the fact that the dealer I bought it from had the sharkfin antenna fitted. Small battery fitted (everyone has that issue). Boot issues. Poor quality paintwork in that it's very thin layer. The button on the rear seats to drop them down doesn't fit properly, it's all loose and you have to sort of tap it down. Passenger front seat, when you roll it forward it keeps sliding back; granted it's probably not an issue as it's meant to be that way, but why? I don't know. Then I have issues with modifications that were done, but that is my fault I guess. I should have never fitted any aftermarket parts.

However, I'm sure yours will be fine. I am just unlucky.

Edit: Sorry yes they are little things, but things I haven't experienced before and not something I expected. Mechanically, well I guess it's ok apart from this recall where they have to take the engine out.

Scratches to side windows, probably issues with window guides & weatherstrip. Check TSB S-SB-0009-14 (pdf). Problem though, that if warranty has ended, it's too expensive to replace windows by own money imho. Also such scratches from guides problems are rather common to cars with frameless windows, from what i've heard. As for me myself, as i missed fixing it while there was warranty .. by time i stopped caring about it, as issue doesn't seem grave enough to pay for complete replacement/fix. Yes, slight annoyance to see those scratches .. but I have many other mods to pay for with higher priority :D

Rear seat latch rattle also is not uncommon thing to subbies. Well, car is cheap, hard to demand for it to be lexus :).

Sharkfin antenna's reception is worse. It shouldn't be totally unusable. What exactly issues you have? As it's powered, is it connected correctly?

Bad durability of bodywork paint is common to many modern cars. IIRC it has something to do with modern paints w/o lead for eco-something-legislation.

What seems weird, specific to your car, seat adjustment not fixing and boot not opening.

3 hours ago, Cerastes said:

Mine are probably only related to my car. But 2 issues with the glass, scratches on my windows I believe because of the motors or something in the doors, I also seem to be the only one who has an issue with the rubber of the drivers door getting caught when the window goes up when you close the door and every time I take it back to get a recall for something I forget to mention to them; it's not major but both are annoying on car that cost me this much. I have issues with the radio, probably due to the fact that the dealer I bought it from had the sharkfin antenna fitted. Small battery fitted (everyone has that issue). Boot issues. Poor quality paintwork in that it's very thin layer. The button on the rear seats to drop them down doesn't fit properly, it's all loose and you have to sort of tap it down. Passenger front seat, when you roll it forward it keeps sliding back; granted it's probably not an issue as it's meant to be that way, but why? I don't know. Then I have issues with modifications that were done, but that is my fault I guess. I should have never fitted any aftermarket parts.

I've had mine for coming up 7 years, but I have had loads of small issues despite low mileage that have slowly eroded away my love for the car (that and I have come to dislike the car community). But I agree with many of your issues.

• Water in the boot/poor sealing rear lights
  • Radio is poor (new dashcam has killed the reception, LED indicators cause interference easily)
  • AC stopped working (Relay)
  • Wheels corroded (warranty)
  • 2nd rear view mirror delaminated
  • Rust - door quarterlights and bonnet slam panel
  • Door quarterlight blew out - no determined cause
  • Lots of rattles
  • Clutch pedal squeak

I've given up on fixing the car at times, if I could find a suitable replacement I probably would have by now. TBH I've often had thoughts about just getting rid and not bothering with a replacement.

@knightryder Ahh I have had the rattles too. Rust in places too, but I suspect that is just normal and normal for all cars after time. I clean it regularly and often keep it under a car cover before someone says "urgh you don't look after it properly". I also do very low mileage, it's only just hit 20k.

I am always looking at new and old cars and keeping in touch with the latest cars etc, but the replacements I want are probably not quite as nice to drive and/or quite expensive.

@Church Yes the window thing is out of warranty, it's not a major issue, but it's something that shouldn't occur on any car.

The sharkfin antenna was loose when I got it (I wasn't aware of it when I bought the car, it's not something you check), so I've had to stick it down again. Well it can't find any radio station except classical, which is ok if you like that. Luckily I have an aftermarket radio now fitted so I can connect my phone to it via bluetooth, but then there are issues with that, but that is my fault I guess for buying aftermarket parts.

Does your passenger seat stay fixed when you pull the lever then? say you wanted to get into the back of your car, you pull the lever and you try to get in but it keeps sliding back so you can't get in. I thought that was a common issue.

Pretty sure mine slides back too. If you bend the seat back a little it should lock in place without losing any space behind it.

Rubbers being pulled up with the windows was/is a warranty issue, they're probably not that expensive and pretty easy to do if you want to sort them yourself now it's out of warranty. I'd do mine again if they started pulling again...

1 hour ago, Cerastes said:

Does your passenger seat stay fixed when you pull the lever then? say you wanted to get into the back of your car, you pull the lever and you try to get in but it keeps sliding back so you can't get in. I thought that was a common issue.

Mine always slides back.

It's really annoying when you've got the back seat folded down and you're trying to load a spare set of wheels into the back on your own.

My biggest gripe at the moment is the gear stick rattle when the revs hit about 4500rpm. It's getting worse and the car is now out of warranty so any fix would be at my own expense. I have read that fitting a thicker washer behind the split pin on the shifter joint fixes it but the idea of stripping out the centre console to just experiment really turns me off.

I have two other gripes (possibly related to each other) , one of which which I have managed to fix (HURRAH!):  My front wings started to sit proud of the doors and the bonnet sits higher than the wing on the driver's side. The sitting proud of the doors, which was getting worse by the day, took about 1 minute per side to fix!! There's a 10mm bolt in the door jamb near the bottom of the wing. Loosen it slightly, close the door, then carefully push the wing to line up with the door. Get someone to hold it there while you open the door and tighten the bolt. Job done.......as for the bonnet sitting proud of the wing on one side I suspect I'll need to reposition the hinge mounts but haven't bothered looking at them yet.

@Mike I did try a few things to stop the rubber getting caught, like trying to hold it from inside, tried also some non stick cleaner on the rubber to make it very slippery so it doesn't stick to glass when it moves up, but it didn't work.

Edit: Toyota dealer has called, they will take a look at the boot. Although might try to fix myself before then as the appointment is a few weeks away.