JJB

JJB's 86 - The neverending project

Eyup everybody.

I haven't posted much on here since owning my GT86. Life admin has got in the way! Anyway, since I'm sat in a hotel prior to TRAX tomorrow I thought now would be a great time to start...

I bought the car with just short of 30,000 miles on 5 weeks ago. It sits on around 30700 and I've loved every mile so far. The car had the recall work done before I picked it up (whilst it was for sale).

Anyway I have big plans for this one. I started with some small, tame modifications whilst I read up/understood the platform a little more and decided where I wanted to go. Details of the small mods can be found here:

(Small sidenote, my YouTube channel will feature the whole 'build', processes, ups and downs etc)

There's 11/12 things making its way through the UK postal system to me over the next 14/21 days which will really kick it off.

Here are some stock photos of the car as it stands. Be sure to keep tuned to see more updates/my adventures with the 86. 339023b45bbe1f1d2c36ccc5ca8ec021.jpg5cb752afabc3761a0052aa404e17ebcb.jpg0b32ec5043846390af07ef270e2dba44.jpgdee0b3ef99b30a5607b24c54a61f5368.jpg67a043f0aa42a65b3d489f33b596e428.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

So the first few mods of the batch have made their way through.

First up we have a set of new wheels, Bola B15, 18 x 8.5 ET40, wrapped in some lovely sticky Michelin PS4 tyres. It's amazing just how much difference changing the tyres makes.

The wet grip on the PS4 is similar to that of the stock tyres in the dry. The car can really be flung about before it reaches the limit.

I also took the opportunity to wrap my mirror caps at the weekend... I washed the car and thought I would have a crack at it. Turned out alright to be fair, went on simply, used a hear gun to make the vinyl a little more flexible and away we went.

Anyways, the next stop in the project journey will be on Sunday, video & small write up to accompany it, but it'll be a good one ;)
7ebc8d0991d33307df7552c05582b4be.jpg5a9a10b7dabba8ccd9799a9dc9e5328e.jpgcbefcd9cf3bec7a74faebaf085a64d88.jpg0a987eb5c787b697229d62fd711db049.jpg

Cool, so I guess you'll desperately want to lower it now, you've got the new wheels on? 
Thanks Lauren,

The car does need a little bit more low to be fair. I have some 15mm springs sat at home still boxed, but I'm debating whether 25mm may be a better option.

The tyres do scrub ever so slightly on full lock (only whilst moving weirdly enough), so I wouldn't want to go too low I'd have thought, just want to eliminate the majority of the arch gap

Can i ask were you got the 15mm springs from please as i can only find 25mm drop ones??
Hi John,

They were purchased from Demon Tweeks https://www.demon-tweeks.com/uk/

They have a fair range of springs available, the ones I've purchased are Tein H. Tech springs with a 15mm drop.

I'm thinking of -15mm Tein springs.

My thinking being, my car is low mileage so the shocks should be fine and I can't be bothered with spending £84000 on coilovers.

I'm a cash not a credit sort of man.

Sent from my VFD 710 using Tapatalk

That's strange that it's rubbing especially with a stretched tyre. 

I normally use this website when seeing how a wheel and suspension setup would work on the 86 platform. 

https://www.ft86motorsports.com/wheelitfit/

Depending on where its rubbing I'd suggest some Coilovers with some negative camber to fit the wheel in better. 

2 hours ago, maurice said:

15mm isn't worth the hassle tbh.

Trouble is when you have a frt skirt that adds 20mm to the bottom of the frt bumper, 15mm suddenly turns into a 35mm drop.

1 hour ago, GT86-Ian said:

Get coilovers don't waste your time with springs.

Unfortunatley we cant all afford coilovers so springs are the easiest option especially if it only just to reduce the wheel gap.

15mm isn't worth the hassle tbh.
I thought that too which is why they are sat there still boxed and sealed!
Get coilovers don't waste your time with springs.
Springs are a temporary fix whilst I decide on options, I'm talking with a business at the moment that has a very interesting, track/fast road focused option.
That's strange that it's rubbing especially with a stretched tyre. 
I normally use this website when seeing how a wheel and suspension setup would work on the 86 platform. 
https://www.ft86motorsports.com/wheelitfit/
Depending on where its rubbing I'd suggest some Coilovers with some negative camber to fit the wheel in better. 
Yeah it's only slight and it's only happened once. Not since first fitting them it may have been a weird occurrence but seems to be fine now.
What tyre size have you fitted?
225 40 R18 on 18 x 8.5 ET40

Not too much stretch on the tyre. Less than I expected.
My original choice was Bola CSRs but the lead time on them was 6 weeks before getting to the supplier, I'd originally opted for 8 inch width. Glad I got the 8.5 now to be fair, they fit really well. a57c030da18f03fbb1c66ab05682433c.jpg

Its update time!

It's been a little while but I've not really had a lot of time on my hands to post these longer messages so bear with me, it will be a bit of a long post!

First up we had the installation of the Cobra Sport Unequal Length Decat Manifold - made by Cobra and supplied (very quickly) by Demon Tweeks. I took it over to a friend of a friends to be fitted, it just so happens this friend of a friend also builds and tinkers with his Nissan S14, so he was well versed in working on Japanese cars. 

The process went very smoothly with all bolts coming out as they should, the only slight set back we had was getting the sensors off the OEM unit & what a beast it is! Very heavy but it does also have the heat shield which wouldn't help. My verdict? I was a little suprised at the sound of the car my naivety told me that all unequal length manifolds will sound the same but as I recently found out the Cobra piece is (again, bear with me) the most equal unequal length manifold, if that makes sense?

Looking back and knowing how the car sounds now I'm kind of pleased, it's got this hybrid boxer/usual 4cyl engine noise, lower in the RPM you can hear the rumble of the classic subaru engine, then when you push on it screams as if it was equal length. Full video below. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUbtwnjatHc

Next up, we've had some noise for the rear of the car, it's time to take care of the front. I ordered a Mishimoto Intake kit, yet again from Demon Tweeks, this took a little longer than the other products (everything was ordered at the same time, wheels tyres etc.) - due to a production defect as far as I know. 

Anyway, the product came and it looks the part, red intake hose with that OEM looking airbox that fits straight into the air feed. I fit this one myself considering it was relatively simple. It sounds incredible and is a LOT louder than I expected. I've gone as far to say that the induction kit has made more of a difference to the overall sound of the car than the manifold... 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1euVNxfBasA

Next up, the most recent addition, some Tein 15mm springs. Yes I'm aware I say it wrong in the video!

These have been sat in my garage since receiving the wheels and tyres way back when I first ordered the parts. I was unsure about the whole 15mm drop and didn't see the point in putting them on for such a little difference.I spoke with Demon Tweeks again and although Tein did offer a lower option, it was 26mm on the front and 16mm on the back. Pointless. 

I did toy with sending the springs back however by the time I had decided all of the 25mm/30mm springs were on back order for a good 8/9 weeks.Looking back I wish I had just gone for the coilovers. Don't get me wrong the car feels and looks better than it did prior to the install, but I think I've made 2 jobs for myself here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQ9hRwqvcyc

In other news, I seemed to have been struck down with a battery issue but after taking the installed battery out, it was a 60a battery and not the usual standard one. The car had been sat for 4 or so days with no action and then when I came around to start it it just fell flat. Anyway, an upgraded battery was ordered and we're all good again. 

Last point - does anyone know how to vacate spiders from the wing mirrors? They keep leaving me presents every time I go out to the car. 

Thanks!