Tom21

Recommendations on brake pads?

So I just brought new DBA front disks and was wondering what brake pad to go with them (Fast road/ occasional trackday), preferably If i can find some that perform well but don't have too much brake dust that would be great.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

DS2500 WILL dust. But as otherwise they are rather good hybrid pad for daily driving and light tracking and are cheap, i'd probably would consider them too. Just visit more often DIY washing places for cheap & quick pressure wash :)

No coating will help if one uses brakes as they should, especially if tracking car. Though that is good too from other POV, rust on rotors doesn't matter too, as few hard braking will clean it off via abrazing as it will coating.

I just wrote off non-dusting as "nice to have" but of less importance among miscellaneous pad properties. To me most important bits are for main function, braking that is, working reliably well wherever i use those pads (and if it's hybrid pads we are talking about, - then both for daily driving and track), and for them to not squeal loud. Later would annoy me much more then dusting, if i had to suffer that at each traffic light stop. Availability, price, not too aggressive to rotors, and for dust to not be chemically agressive to wheels also would matter to me more then dust itself.

So by my priorities DS2500 did well, and i could live with worse dusting.

Ok cool, this info was exactly what I was looking for to be honest as I haven't got knowledge of performance pads.
Like what church said I will probably value stopping power more and just give it a quick wash more often and will probably ceramic coat my wheels too.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

These are not exactly performance (if under that term you think - "track") pads, more of oem+. As in they are obviously better then stock on track (rather easy to overheat/glaze), but i'd still keep track sessions to eg. 15min. And also change brake fluid to higher temp one. Then again most "real" track oriented pads are close to unusable for daily driving unlike these. As most track pads working temp range is much higher, they often have less brake friction when cold until heated up, and also with light braking that is more common in daily driving, bedded layer with track pads soon scrubs off rotors .. and one becomes idiot with loud squealing brakes each time one brakes. Yes, one can again go outside city and do several acceleration/heavy braking cycles to rebed brakes for few days, as bedded rotors with transferred layer from heated pads onto rotor should quieten most brakes, but it's PITA.

Best choice possible is to have two specialized pads sets for both daily driving & track and switch prior/post track day, but well, if one decides against such and uses one set all the time, of course there will be some compromises/limitations to keep in mind.

I tracked on DS2500, and for those 15min they mostly held up fine (on a bit grippier tires then primacies, eg. 215 to 225 wide PSS/PS4), rather consistent brake feel from cold to hot, it's when i kept driving more to 20min i start feeling fade. But as after 15min i also started to loose concentration and wear down myself, see no biggie in driving off for cigarette, coffee .. and brake cooling at that time :).

DS2500 are pretty shit on track. From what I've learnt there is no amazing do all pad. 

Either get something that's friendlier on road. Or something that's more aggressive on track.

Or ideally get both and swap them over when required

I’ve just bought a set of ultimate slotted and vented discs with the yellow stuff pads, I’ve had green stuff prior to this and they were okay-ish I guess. Are the yellow stuff a lot better? I’ll be honest there I brake very heavily often day to day use, trying to get the most of this FA20 engine before I swap it out. Just trying to gauge “best bang for buck”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am on my 4th set of EBC Yellowstuff and have the 5th set waiting in the boot.

Would recommend them.......

Sent from my ASUS_A001 using Tapatalk

Speaking of the set, here they are now....

ce84c75e468f79c28a9ef8d4dd2a3df3.jpg

3 hours ago, Tubbytommy said:

Aren't these just rebranded eBC's?

I heard that rumour too but never seen any evidence to back it up.

I had some EBC’s fitted before. They didn’t feel as good as the Cosworth pads and they dont look like the same pad at all.

If EBC do make them for Cosworth then it must be a Cosworth spec pad and I take back every bad word i’ve ever said about EBC lol

6 hours ago, Notaricer said:

I’ve just bought a set of ultimate slotted and vented discs with the yellow stuff pads, I’ve had green stuff prior to this and they were okay-ish I guess. Are the yellow stuff a lot better? I’ll be honest there I brake very heavily often day to day use, trying to get the most of this FA20 engine before I swap it out. Just trying to gauge “best bang for buck”.

What engine you putting in? 

Not to run off topic but I've been recommended performance Friction pads for the occasional track day. 

Worth always specifying also _which_ exactly pads. Most vendors have many pads covering most niches, from street to hardcore motorsport use. Comparing by generic brand name will just make apples to oranges comparison. For example Ferrodo has also real track pads like Dsuno, Ds1.11, Ds3.12. It also has also oem-ish, completely non-tracking even least stuff. For example, here chart of some hawk pads. I'm sure that different PFC pads are, well, different enough too, and thus one should always tell which.

What engine you putting in? 
Not to run off topic but I've been recommended performance Friction pads for the occasional track day. 

Not too sure yet, looking at a 2jz but there’s nothing realistic about atm. I think I’m just going to do work independent of the engine first before I put one in. So it will be a long time before I finish this car.

Someone told me they fitted a set of cosworth pads and you could see the ebc stickers underneath the cosworth ones. 

Cosworth quality isn't all that anymore I don't think. Their baffle plates haven't been flawless and the air filters I got recently looked like they were in knockoff boxes tbh 

18 hours ago, Luke said:

I've used these on a previous car and they were a full on track pad - wouldn't recommend on the road due to the dust and pedal feel at low speed.

Nothing wrong with OEMs, except there is little difference between standard iron ventilated disks, and some aftermarket replacements cost less then OE. And cheaper price imho can serve as justifying reason :)

Even with those Ferodo DS2500 .. they also were noticeably cheaper then stock pads.

4th discs? Given that usually they last 2-4 pads sets, you probably had tracking a lot. Or been persuaded by them that rotors need change more often then they really are due :)

Test Drives Unlimited: btw, have you considered two-piece rotors? (IIRC DBA offers such for stock brakes too), such won't be a bit better wearables cost wise?

9 hours ago, Mike said:

Someone told me they fitted a set of cosworth pads and you could see the ebc stickers underneath the cosworth ones. 

Cosworth quality isn't all that anymore I don't think. Their baffle plates haven't been flawless and the air filters I got recently looked like they were in knockoff boxes tbh 

They dont have Cosworth stickers on them or EBC stickers. The Cosworth logo’s are printed/etched straight onto the metal.

I’ve nothing but good words to say about the quality of the Cosworth products. I have their Stage 1.2 NA tune with their sump baffle and their brake pads. All the parts I’ve come into contact with look/feel first rate. I have a stack of their air filters ready for a lifetime of services.

I just wish they did more parts for the 86!

Update: EBC have given me two “left hand” brake discs, how do I put them on?

f7b4adc311a1abf559b0dadaba5add5b.jpg

They’re not both left hand discs - look at the groove directions. The label is wrong, they did the same with mine!