PhilR

Dark Colours - What Wax Are You Using

28 minutes ago, PhilR said:

Interested to know what Wax everyone uses for dark colours? I've recently purchased a Dark Grey GT86. 

I used some Poorboys World Black hole on Sunday and this was the result:-

IMG_20190707_161042_Hagrid__01__01.jpg.d6a985f79f42f9701b0c8f246f68f979.jpg

Highly recommend Auto finesse Illusion for the summer but it isnt cheap and will need to be reapplied every couple of months. Very easy to apply and the finish afterwards is amazing.

Dodo juice supernatural is also very good especially if you want the metallic flake to show through. It should also last around 4/6 months between coats even with the crappy British weather.

PoorBoys Black Hole is a glaze, so if you just apply it and no sealant / wax on top, it probably won't past a wash or two. It's good stuff to use before waxing / sealing.

Autoglym UHD has great gloss on dark colours and lasts around 3 months in my experience. I've also got Soft99 Fusso, which has great longevity (6-12 mths) and looks good, but not quite as good as UHD. If you don't want to wax regularly worth considering Fusso or a ceramic coat.

Forensic Detailing on YouTube for good product tests. If you want to properly geek out on this stuff Pro Detailer Magazine is worth a look.

Some good products mentioned so far. If applying by hand something like black hole or autoglym super resin Polish will be great for hiding some minor mark and giving you a nice base to apply a wax or sealant onto. The soft99 stuff is my current favorite. King of gloss will give the best finish as @lowe mentioned above. I use soft 99 fusso as I like the long term durability and hydrophobic properties of it. It is not quite as glossy however I have mine a full machine Polish prior to applying it and it still came out well. 

20181201_203738.png

1 to what onyx said,

Also something to keep in mind all is in the prep, swirl removal then glaze polish... then wax/sealant ...

personally i prefer Autoglym paint renovator to swirl x / scratch x for hand applications .. from experience my experience their just to mild and effort does not equal the result...

then Ill suggest a glaze or polish .. and here my favourite is Poorboys - Blackhole show glaze dark cars or white Diamond light colors, havent really found anything thats wowed me like those two.

Then for the shine and protection it depends metallic or not ? i find the sealants work better on cars with a flake, and waxes on flatter colors . my Sealants of choice are Wolfgang Deep gloss sealant or CG m-Seal,poorboys-EX and on the wax side hands down Collinite #915.

oh almost forgot, before u go chasing the shine make sure you wash routine is sorted to keep ya finish maintained, 2 buckets Nice Wash mittno sponges Waffle weave dryers then u sorted