Twigman

Catback that looks like std?

1 hour ago, Deacon said:

I've got the HKS HiPower Spec L. What would you like to know? 

I’m just curious about the noise at 80-90mph 6th gear cruising. I drive to Germany regularly. To be honest after months of research I think I’ve settled on this pipe. I did think for a while that ‘stealth’ would be my preference hence my request for looking std but this HKS SpecL has kept haunting me. So much so that today I reserved one from the next shipment via James at Amber....I could’ve had a red carbon one tomorrow but I’m really not sure I could live with that colour so I have a month’s wait for a black one...

9 minutes ago, Twigman said:

I’m just curious about the noise at 80-90mph 6th gear cruising. I drive to Germany regularly. To be honest after months of research I think I’ve settled on this pipe. I did think for a while that ‘stealth’ would be my preference hence my request for looking std but this HKS SpecL has kept haunting me. So much so that today I reserved one from the next shipment via James at Amber....I could’ve had a red carbon one tomorrow but I’m really not sure I could live with that colour so I have a month’s wait for a black one...

It's a very quiet exhaust so I'm sure it'll be fine for what you're after. I can't really comment on cruising in 6th at 80-90 as it's not something I really do. It definitely looks awesome though! 

received_2242252236039814_Hagrid.jpg.0b1117b42755e197a13b14fd45a98453.jpg

I see you have a truck diffuser fitted. 

One of my concerns is the std rear black bit causing drag and rear lift when the exhaust is no longer routing air under it.

i assume your diffuser prevents this- do you notice a difference?

5 minutes ago, Twigman said:

I see you have a truck diffuser fitted. 

One of my concerns is the std rear black bit causing drag and rear lift when the exhaust is no longer routing air under it.

i assume your diffuser prevents this- do you notice a difference?

No and I had the exhaust fitted for quite a long time without a diffuser and noticed no real problems 👍

I ended up looking nothing like standard. I went with the HKS Spec-L. It sounds only subtly different from stock, a little less noticeable than I expected but when I go to a new manifold I expect it to still have a neighbour friendly non-chavtastic kind of sound. Sadly, the planned manifold swap will have to wait as I had a house boiler failure this week and replaced it this morning robbing me of close to £3k in the process.

15 hours ago, Twigman said:

I ended up looking nothing like standard. I went with the HKS Spec-L. It sounds only subtly different from stock, a little less noticeable than I expected but when I go to a new manifold I expect it to still have a neighbour friendly non-chavtastic kind of sound. Sadly, the planned manifold swap will have to wait as I had a house boiler failure this week and replaced it this morning robbing me of close to £3k in the process.

I really like the HKS Spec-L. Its very nicely engineered being one of very very few to incorporate a large Helmholtz resonator. to work at lower rpms. 

I didnt go for it because they are still a bit loud for my requirements. 

On 7/10/2019 at 9:39 AM, james_ly said:

Exhausts are so expensive for these cars :(

I've come from a Golf R where a catback was £1200 for the cheapest, non valved, non resonated example, and highest being Akrapovic for a £3000 catback!

it could be worse!

1 hour ago, JJB said:

I've come from a Golf R where a catback was £1200 for the cheapest, non valved, non resonated example, and highest being Akrapovic for a £3000 catback!

it could be worse!

Wow, 3k is Ferrari exhaust money to me!

On 10/2/2019 at 3:00 PM, james_ly said:

Wow, 3k is Ferrari exhaust money to me!

Yup, it's even worse because now I've realised the Akrapovic is an axle-back rather than a cat-back - which makes it seem ridiculously expensive in comparison. The parts for GT86 and the BRZ are relatively tame in comparison, but still somewhat suffer from a bit of a price hike but I guess thats commensurate with overseas brands such as Blitz, HKS etc. 

1 hour ago, JJB said:

Yup, it's even worse because now I've realised the Akrapovic is an axle-back rather than a cat-back - which makes it seem ridiculously expensive in comparison. The parts for GT86 and the BRZ are relatively tame in comparison, but still somewhat suffer from a bit of a price hike but I guess thats commensurate with overseas brands such as Blitz, HKS etc. 

I remember in my biking days the Akrapovic bike systems were always twice the price of kit like Yoshimura......Akrapovic do tend to use exotic materials though, like titanium

23 hours ago, Twigman said:

I remember in my biking days the Akrapovic bike systems were always twice the price of kit like Yoshimura......Akrapovic do tend to use exotic materials though, like titanium

Yep, still the case now, a friend of mine has a Suzuki LTZ400 quad and I remember when he purchased a new exhaust, or rather looking at them, that the Yoshimura came in a hell of a lot cheaper than the Akrapovic. I do think the Golf R exhaust is Ti though which would make sense considering the price. 

On 10/11/2019 at 12:54 PM, JJB said:

Yep, still the case now, a friend of mine has a Suzuki LTZ400 quad and I remember when he purchased a new exhaust, or rather looking at them, that the Yoshimura came in a hell of a lot cheaper than the Akrapovic. I do think the Golf R exhaust is Ti though which would make sense considering the price. 

I'd be interested to see what exhausts you were actually looking at. I work in a motorcycle dealership myself and Yoshi has been at the same price point, if not more expensive than Akrapovic for a good few years now. Though Akrapovic is still superior in terms of quality imo. 

You can take a look at Performance Parts website for price comparisons if you're interested. 

The industry is unfortunately plagued with fake Yoshi exhausts at the moment.

Sorry - far off topic from the GT86!