Twigman

Catback that looks like std?

Is there a catback zorst that looks like standard from the outside?

Which resonated catback system looks closest to OEM?

I just want a bit more noise but want it to look 'standard'.

If you wanted one, there is the Subaru sports muffler, as its called. An axleback made by Remus, whose name speaks for itself. It is EU type approved, so cannot be crazy loud.

The only thing that i dislike about most aftermarket exhausts is the tips. The OEM tips look fab to me with a lot of Chrome.. The only others that kind of have that kind of tips are from HKS, which is expensive.

https://www.subaru.co.uk/product/10842/subaru-brz-sports-muffler

Try contacting cobra or the likes and see if they can make the pipes that go to the tips work with the standard exhaust tips as it all comes in sections from the rear back box. Shouldn't be difficult if not could be done custom at an exhaust fitting place

Maybe also someone can hint then where to find TRD v1 like D-shaped/half-moon tips? I'm interested in one specific catback sound-wise, but it's stock tips of large diameter "buckets" turns me off a bit as screaming "ricer" 😕

I think this is@ade design. Only one point if consideration. The back box smoothed aerodynamics of the rear underside. You might want to go for a similar design if you track the car.b

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Imho if aero matters enough, then one probably will install diffuser anyway, for even less drag and more dowforce then without it and just stock alike single central muffler.

Doesn't look like there's a lot of room to fit a diffuser there with all that pipework. It would have to be custom whatever, and therefore cost a lot in money or time.

It's right to point out you could lose more performance in drag than you gain in power from the cat back.

I designed the Helmholtz chambers to kill noise in the 2-4k region. My main issue was wot on the wotorway in 6th gear. 

They reduced noise at 3k by about 10dB. 

Regarding aero. I haven't got a sausage but I like the noise. A bigger bore cat back can gain you 10-15hp on a supercharged car. Stock one is quite restrictive with forced induction.

It doesn't look very stock though with the big twin Y silencers on the back.

Their standard prices are using the stock tips. You can spec your own if you want with H&S.

19 hours ago, Ade said:

I designed the Helmholtz chambers to kill noise in the 2-4k region. My main issue was wot on the wotorway in 6th gear. 

They reduced noise at 3k by about 10dB. 

Regarding aero. I haven't got a sausage but I like the noise. A bigger bore cat back can gain you 10-15hp on a supercharged car. Stock one is quite restrictive with forced induction.

It doesn't look very stock though with the big twin Y silencers on the back.

Their standard prices are using the stock tips. You can spec your own if you want with H&S.

I really do like the idea of this system. Best get saving the pennies 😀

It's also one of the best sounding
In what configuration? Ade and you have an SC which will give a different sound to those having an NA manifold and tune and to those having a totally stock manifold.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Miltek actually state that you can fit the standard tail pipes onto their cat backs. Once fitted it's hard to tell that it's aftermarket apart from the slightly deeper note from it. A few people have said that a weld fails over time but can be replaced under warranty. Also I think they have revised the design to prevent this. Don't quote me on this as I've not had one but I also prefer the standard tail pipes rather than the thin jap slash tips that most make. 

Another option is tuning developments make a very well priced cat back that many have fitted to their cars and I'm sure anyone whose good with a welder would be able to make the standard tail pipe trims fit instead. 

Plenty of youtube videos out there to compare sound. 

1 hour ago, Luke said:

Miltek actually state that you can fit the standard tail pipes onto their cat backs. Once fitted it's hard to tell that it's aftermarket apart from the slightly deeper note from it. A few people have said that a weld fails over time but can be replaced under warranty. Also I think they have revised the design to prevent this. Don't quote me on this as I've not had one but I also prefer the standard tail pipes rather than the thin jap slash tips that most make. 

They still fail even with the revised design. Some people have been through 2 or 3 of these exhausts. They are dog sh*t, plenty of better options out there.

1 hour ago, Varelco said:

They still fail even with the revised design. Some people have been through 2 or 3 of these exhausts. They are dog sh*t, plenty of better options out there.

I think I'll scrub the miltek off my list and go with tuning developments instead and get the tips changed if I don't like them. 

Seriously tempted to throw the 'looks like standard' idea out of the window! - I love the look and sound (from youtube vid) of the HKS Spec-L with carbon tips!

Anyone got one and care to comment?

I am determined to get a catback on....noise* and looks are the priority (I suppose I'm a poser)....not really bothered about performance gains although filling the torque dip would be a bonus BUT I don't want to swap manifold as want to keep both cats - the planet is more important than filling the torque dip.

*When I say noise I mean a grown up noise, subtly louder than standard but not popping and farting and waking the neighbours or attracting plod loud.

3 hours ago, Twigman said:

Seriously tempted to throw the 'looks like standard' idea out of the window! - I love the look and sound (from youtube vid) of the HKS Spec-L with carbon tips!

Anyone got one and care to comment?

I am determined to get a catback on....noise* and looks are the priority (I suppose I'm a poser)....not really bothered about performance gains although filling the torque dip would be a bonus BUT I don't want to swap manifold as want to keep both cats - the planet is more important than filling the torque dip.

*When I say noise I mean a grown up noise, subtly louder than standard but not popping and farting and waking the neighbours or attracting plod loud.

I've got the HKS HiPower Spec L. What would you like to know?